Overclock.net banner

421 - 440 of 515 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
You may be right, adjusting ram timings didn't hep.

Do you have a suggestion for which LLC mode to use? Currently just on Auto, and finding it hard to figure out which each mode does.
For sure. Firstly, raise or lower it with confidence. It is actually pretty much impossible to do any damage here. It sounds like your just venturing into PBO so you haven't turned off any current regulators or anything like that, which is good. Your chip and mobo will automatically limit your chip from running to much current or going above 90 celsius. The chip caps out at 115+ so no worries there. To get to your question on LLC with this board lower numbers mean a higher Load Line Calibration. I find I cannot hit my max boost potential without at least an LLC of 4 though an LLC of 5 will give you much better temps with only a minimal reduction in clock. As you change LLC any Curve Optimizer settings will be drastically affected so its best to tune with only LLC first and then work your way out. Best of Luck man! Just raising the LLC (Auto to LLC4) should stabilize your system per your original inquiry.

• Rep+
Reactions: jlagace

·
Registered
6 Posts
For sure. Firstly, raise or lower it with confidence. It is actually pretty much impossible to do any damage here. It sounds like your just venturing into PBO so you haven't turned off any current regulators or anything like that, which is good. Your chip and mobo will automatically limit your chip from running to much current or going above 90 celsius. The chip caps out at 115+ so no worries there. To get to your question on LLC with this board lower numbers mean a higher Load Line Calibration. I find I cannot hit my max boost potential without at least an LLC of 4 though an LLC of 5 will give you much better temps with only a minimal reduction in clock. As you change LLC any Curve Optimizer settings will be drastically affected so its best to tune with only LLC first and then work your way out. Best of Luck man! Just raising the LLC (Auto to LLC4) should stabilize your system per your original inquiry.
Really appreciate you taking the time. On all the testing I've done thus far, this fixed it! I've no longer been able to replicate the resets with LLC Mode 5. I can now enable PBO and can enjoy fine tuning it. I now can see that magical 5ghz mark during short bursts =)

For the record for others, my issue was with PBO enabled, I would get sudden resets upon loading into a game, or a benchmark. 5900x. Most easily replicated with Timespy or Superposition benchmarks, where the moment the benchmark loaded, it would trigger a system reboot. Meanwhile once loaded into a game, I could play for hours.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Really appreciate you taking the time. On all the testing I've done thus far, this fixed it! I've no longer been able to replicate the resets with LLC Mode 5. I can now enable PBO and can enjoy fine tuning it. I now can see that magical 5ghz mark during short bursts =)

For the record for others, my issue was with PBO enabled, I would get sudden resets upon loading into a game, or a benchmark. 5900x. Most easily replicated with Timespy or Superposition benchmarks, where the moment the benchmark loaded, it would trigger a system reboot. Meanwhile once loaded into a game, I could play for hours.
Your crashes were relative to single core bursting. Your 2 best cores will handle 9/10 single threaded workloads, but your other core's do get used occasionally too. So with a set of 5ghz any one of those cores can be pushed to that frequency. Keep that in mind when messing with Curve Optimizer. Cannot wait until they add more functionality to it so you can undervolt or overvolt separately for single core and multicore workloads. Should be pretty cool. Glad to hear everything stable so far!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Bought a x570 tomahawk to compare the performance to b550 and it's more or less the same; kind of expected. What I don't understand is why it is noticeably lower than on asus x370 mobo I wanted the tomahawk to replace... Cinebench is lower, superposition is lower and I am slowly running out of ideas to try.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Bought a x570 tomahawk to compare the performance to b550 and it's more or less the same; kind of expected. What I don't understand is why it is noticeably lower than on asus x370 mobo I wanted the tomahawk to replace... Cinebench is lower, superposition is lower and I am slowly running out of ideas to try.
Different power limits? I suppose they are much lower on the X370 which may actually benefit the chip. Try to set the same values fpr PPT/TDC/EDC on the Tomahawk and I guess benchmarks will be identical. Ryzen is a SOC.

Only real world benefit of X570 is more I/O if you need it. And bios support will last longer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys I have an issue.
Motherboard is TOMAHAWK X570 of course.
Cpu : 5600x
Ram : Trident Z Neo 3600 CL16 Hynix.

Bios 1.3 works fine, can access Bios options etc.

However whenever I flash 1.4 or 1 53, I cannot access Bios screen, nor do I see a startup logo.

I don't see anything on screen except the windows sign in screen.
This only occurs on bios 1.4 and above.

So it seems my only stable bios is 1.3

Can anyone help me please?

What is going on?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey guys I have an issue.
Motherboard is TOMAHAWK X570 of course.
Cpu : 5600x
Ram : Trident Z Neo 3600 CL16 Hynix.

Bios 1.3 works fine, can access Bios options etc.

However whenever I flash 1.4 or 1 53, I cannot access Bios screen, nor do I see a startup logo.

I don't see anything on screen except the windows sign in screen.
This only occurs on bios 1.4 and above.

So it seems my only stable bios is 1.3

Can anyone help me please?

What is going on?
Hi, if you can sign in to windows then boot into the bios from there: Open start menu, then type UEFI, it will show "change advanced startup options" system setting. Then under advanced startup select restart now, Select troubleshoot, advanced options, Uefi firmware settings. It should boot into bios upon restart. Let us know if this works.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, if you can sign in to windows then boot into the bios from there: Open start menu, then type UEFI, it will show "change advanced startup options" system setting. Then under advanced startup select restart now, Select troubleshoot, advanced options, Uefi firmware settings. It should boot into bios upon restart. Let us know if this works.
Thanks for this advice... At work right now, but will try it as soon as I get home.

Cheers brother 👐🏾

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well.. that didn't work either...
I can tell that the system rebooted into whatever UEFI settings, but no display.
So I Ctrl Alt del'd, and sure enough it rebooted, but only got a display screen at the windows login screen...

Helllppppp.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I can tell that the system rebooted into whatever UEFI settings, but no display.
So I Ctrl Alt del'd, and sure enough it rebooted, but only got a display screen at the windows login screen...

Helllppppp.
With the described method, you don't have to ctrl+alt+del, if you follow the path when you select "uefi firmware settings" in the windows advanced menu with the blue background, the computer should restart automatically and the bios screen should come up without pressing any buttons on the keyboard. If this doesn't work then I suggest you roll back to your last stable bios and wait for the next MSI bios which will be rolled out by the end of the month for this board.

·
Registered
187 Posts

Helllppppp.
Well, it's a very long shot but I had exactly this when I enabled 'freesync' on my monitor when my GFX card didn't support it. After I disabled freesync on the monitor it worked correctly again.
Probably this isn't the reason but worth mentioning.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Support pages for x570 and b550 tomahawk are blank; perhaps we will get new bioses soon.
Different power limits? I suppose they are much lower on the X370 which may actually benefit the chip. Try to set the same values fpr PPT/TDC/EDC on the Tomahawk and I guess benchmarks will be identical. Ryzen is a SOC.

Only real world benefit of X570 is more I/O if you need it. And bios support will last longer.
More likely due to asus telemetry cheat; from what I can see msi on auto doesn't lie to the cpu about power&current draw, asus does and it boost higher as a result. I came very close in single thread cb20 score when I entered appropriately wrong numbers in telemetry settings in msi bios, but it hurt multi thread cb20 score. Not sure why since in cpuz bench both showed improvement.
I bought 5800x which I am currently running on auto everything, but I don't have an asus board to compare myself, but I did compare the results with a friend, and asus is leading again, but not by much (much less than with 3800x).

·
Registered
92 Posts
I flashed the new bios today and broke 30k on C23 for the first time with only PBO4 and LLC8, I didn't use curve optimizer at all.

• Rep+
Reactions: GamBoTron

·
Registered
92 Posts
Where did you find the new bios? Or did you mean AGESA 1.1.9.0 7C84v153 instead of the awaited AGESA 1.2.0.0 bios?
That's correct.

·
Registered
528 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
If you are looking for higher TimeSpy CPU scores. you'd need to try to flatten that graph. It's bouncing all over the place. 5950X can actually do 17K+ on CPU. Heck my 5900X can do 16K haha.

View attachment 2475853

5900X+6800XT. +0 override maximum CO offset -30 for all cores.
I'm just using PBO for now. Waiting until I get a day off work to flash an updated bios from Msi before I try CO again.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I'm just using PBO for now. Waiting until I get a day off work to flash an updated bios from Msi before I try CO again.
View attachment 2475867
Understand.

In the meantime, you could tweak your 6900XT a bit. I'm whooping it's ass with my 6800XT. Try to raise minimum frequency a bit to smoothen out the frequency throughout the test. Look at my graphs. They are steady and flat. That's what you should be gunning for if you want to boost perf and get a steady system. Frequency bouncing around can lead to instability and surely less performance.

It's just a side tip. I thought you had posted that TimeSpy because you wanted to push it. Sorry if I'm three steps ahead haha.

421 - 440 of 515 Posts