Overclock.net banner
141 - 160 of 689 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
I bought the MSI X570 Tomahawk back in August but have been waiting for the new Zen 3 CPU's before building my new system...would I be able to flash the BIOS before installing the CPU?...can I flash it with the new Zen 3 CPU installed?...I don't have any spare AMD CPU's lying around as I'm currently using an older Intel i7 CPU

·
Registered
44 Posts
Titus,

There is a USB BIOS flash button on these boards. The instructions on how to use it are on page 46 of the manual. There are also a few videos on how to use it. The only things the manual does not explain is how to format a USB drive to FAT32, and how long/what all the blinking lights are for. But it seems that if you format your drive correctly and follow the rest of the steps, you should be fine.

·
Registered
708 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Zen 3 BIOS

MSI has just announced the release of the AMD Combo PI V2 1.1.0.0 BIOS Firmware which offers improved support and compatibility with existing and next-generation Ryzen processors...AMD X570 chipset motherboards will be receiving the BIOS update first followed by B550 & A520 chipset-based motherboards

According to MSI's blog post, the AMD Combo PI V2 1.1.0.0 BIOS update will release in four phases...A total of 10 MSI X570 motherboards will be receiving the BIOS update starting today while B550 & additional X570 motherboards will be added to the support list by the middle of October...MSI will also have the BIOS Firmware ready for its A520 series motherboards by end of October while MSI plans to phase out the BETA release with the official MP BIOS starting in early November...

With upcoming AMD processors, AMD combo PI bios is coming on MSI 500-series motherboards

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was curious about the new beta BIOS and updated. Everything seems fine, but in the bootup checks my disks were listed twice, and the first time it lists disks on the wrong port. Inside the BIOS and Windows it's fine.
(my disks are on sata 3, 4, 5 and 6)

This seemed quirky, so I downgraded back to 1.30 for now.

Anyone else tried the new release that can verify this behaviour for me?

Oh and another question: how long does M-flash take you? Sometimes it's up to 5 or 6 minutes for me, I think when switching between major BIOS revisions. From USB stick.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I was curious about the new beta BIOS and updated. Everything seems fine, but in the bootup checks my disks were listed twice, and the first time it lists disks on the wrong port. Inside the BIOS and Windows it's fine.
(my disks are on sata 3, 4, 5 and 6)
View attachment 2460560

This seemed quirky, so I downgraded back to 1.30 for now.

Anyone else tried the new release that can verify this behaviour for me?

Oh and another question: how long does M-flash take you? Sometimes it's up to 5 or 6 minutes for me, I think when switching between major BIOS revisions. From USB stick.
My disks are listed twice too, but everything works fine so I stayed on this beta BIOS.
The M-Flash upgrade/downgrade process takes 5-6 minutes here too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I did a quick search and came up emoty handed but I recently got one of these boards and navigating the BIOS is extremely laggy, its like it's running at 2fps and I have to mash left click to register sometimes... Is this a known issue? I havent been able to find anything about it other than a solitary reddit post with no useful responses...

·
Registered
47 Posts
I did a quick search and came up emoty handed but I recently got one of these boards and navigating the BIOS is extremely laggy, its like it's running at 2fps and I have to mash left click to register sometimes... Is this a known issue? I havent been able to find anything about it other than a solitary reddit post with no useful responses...
Mine is fluid, no lags or anything. Try doing a CMOS clear to see if it helps. You could also try to upgrade it to a newer version.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Is this with a mouse or keyboard?

·
Registered
708 Posts
My uefi works fine no issues.

Gesendet von meinem LYA-L29 mit Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I got this MSI X570 Tomahawk,worst BIOS ever for a gaming motherboard.Any changes in BIOS results in no boot and you have to jumper BAT1 which is a huge pain in the backside.
I understand this Motherboard will grow into something special someday but for the few weeks I owned it ,it is the worst motherboard I own for AMD and Intel.
My crappy MSI X470 Gaming Plus puts this motherboard to shame.
I value your opinion so it was a shame to hear that the BIOS for this motherboard is not up to scratch in comparisson to the hardware

:(

As I am looking into upgrading to an X570 I had narrowed down my choices to Asus Crosshair VIII Hero, MSI Unify or this Tomahawk.

Was leaning towards the Unify until I saw it had only 4 SATA ports, as for the Asus I really shouldnt be spending that amount of money on a motherboard, however, from watching the Bulzoid breakdown on the Tomahawk and that the Tomahawk has 6 SATA ports I started leaning towards this board.

But the BIOS issues have turned me off.

Now I will research to see if peeps have managed to run 4 x A2 PCB sticks on this board at 3800/1900 as hopefully the BIOS issues will be fixed sometime soon.

Need to read this thread from the beginning, jumped to the last pages to see what the current state was ....

·
Registered
708 Posts
No issues here. Everthing works fine.

geradfraser has clearly some issues to sort out - but he rather stays on his defect Mainboard...

You will not have a nice button for CLEAR CMOS - but you will not have to use it every day like with a CH6. I used my RESET Button of my case for this situation. And i had to use it only once, because of my RAM Settings.

for 200Euro best product.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Scored a sweet deal on a x570 tomahawk locally last month. Great experience with a 3800x so far.
same happend to my after buying this board.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Not sure why @BUFUMAN thinks I have a defected motherboard

@mongoled
It is a good Motherboard has BIOS teething problems like anything else.I am on my fourth BIOS and I stopped playing with the motherboard weeks ago and just waiting on 5800X/5900X to start again.

Here is a quote from me 17 days ago and I still believe this motherboard will be great someday.
I got this MSI X570 Tomahawk,worst BIOS ever for a gaming motherboard.Any changes in BIOS results in no boot and you have to jumper BAT1 which is a huge pain in the backside.
I understand this Motherboard will grow into something special someday but for the few weeks I owned it ,it is the worst motherboard I own for AMD and Intel.
My crappy MSI X470 Gaming Plus puts this motherboard to shame.

·
Registered
208 Posts
No issues here. Everthing works fine.

geradfraser has clearly some issues to sort out - but he rather stays on his defect Mainboard...

You will not have a nice button for CLEAR CMOS - but you will not have to use it every day like with a CH6. I used my RESET Button of my case for this situation. And i had to use it only once, because of my RAM Settings.

for 200Euro best product.
The Bios is problematic, the fact that manual vcore and LLC settings were bugged and broken over multiple BIOS releases and was only fixed very recently shows that. I'm willing to give MSI the benefit of the doubt but its frustrating investing into a x570 motherboard so late in the lifecycle and still have these significant bugs.

Heck there are still bugs with manual fan control when populating all the fan headers. This also interferes with the chipset fan which randomly starts for me sometimes during boot when the chipset temperature is nowhere near fan start point.

The motherboard is good, but there are BIOS problems. I really hope they get ironed out soon though.

@mongoled
Have you looked into the new TUF Gaming X570-pro? That is supposed to be a direct Tomahawk competitor. I wanted to go with the Gigabyte Aorus Elite x570 first but I needed more fan headers and didn't wanna spend extra on a fan hub so here I am. My plan is at some point, to get another 2 sticks of Patriot Viper 4400 Ram. I dont know if I'll be able to run 3800MT/1900IF but I'll definitely try at some point.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Thanks for the responses guys

Anyone doing BCLK overclocking on this board ?

Whats max stable BCLK you have reached ??

Also just noticed there is no diagnostic codes LED on this mobo

:/

@SneakySloth, no I didnt but I watched the Bulzoid video and he seemed to favour the Tomahawk over the TUF Gaming X570-pro

141 - 160 of 689 Posts