Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The MSI MEG X570S UNIFY-X MAX has arrived.

Feel free to discuss your OC and experience with the board as I share my own initial takes as I got my hands on one.

To start I'll attach some pictures of the board and then see what I can get it to do with a Ryzen 3800X & Crucial Ballistix Max 4400C19 2x8GB kit of memory as soon as I get it setup.

I gave away my 4650G, so can't use it and my 5700G is in my main system. So it's the 3800X that shall be used.
Will compare results to what kind of MEM OC this board can do to the other earlier boards I've used included a Biostar B550MH & Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme rev1.0.

The Ballistix MAX is a Micron Rev.E kit of memory with [D9WFL] chips.
Does 5100Mts stable on the X570S Unify-X, with a little relaxed timings and increased voltage.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Here is the bench setup as far as I have gotten it down.
Those Motherboard stand-offs are handy though a little cheap looking.

I do hope the ddc-1t will work among other things. Not fun to have to disassemble it all if doesn't start.

EDIT:

Pump works, motherboard works, system boots...

Keyboard doesn't work
... My new Logitech K835 TKL isn't detected by the MSI BIOS. Could do nothing with it. [Newer Bios fixed the issue]
Had to switch to my older Logitech G610 for the motherboard to detect a keyboard. Weird incompatibility.

Had´no issue enabling XMP but have to install/boot windows from some drive now for further tests.

Attachments

·
Registered
816 Posts
Have just finished dialing in my new daily 24/7 PBO CO settings for my (new) 5950x.
These cpu boosting settings will survive at least 6 hours in core cycler (haven't tried longer)
Computer Personal computer Font Screenshot Line

I have previously written alittle about the board here

Rehash some old observations i found interesting:

• Lately ive seen some reports about motherboards from all the different vendors "getting bricked" by error code "00" (freezing with power/restart button not working). I started experiencing the same problems and after a lengthy search i found the guilty. Turns out CPU switching speed 1000kHZ is the cause for this. Lower it and all is fine. Was talking with one guy on Hydra discord who was prepared to RMA his Asus darkhero because if this, but after he lowered the value motherboard started to act normal again. (i'm running 800kHZ on both CPU and SOC now)

• I'm scoring really low on both Cinebench (r20) singlethread and multithread benchmarks and i cant figure out why. On same static clocks i'm around ~300-400 points lower in MT score than with my Asus motherboard.. Either this is down to the rather old 1203c agesa (which is the only one released for this board by the way), or its because i didn't reinstall windows when i swapped motherboards. Will find out one way or the other as i'm switching to a new win11 install later today..

• I needed ~15mv higher vdimm on the Unify x max to run same timings as my Asus MB (~1.57 vs 1.55v)

• Both "CPU/SOC" Over current protection @ enhanced and ""CPU over voltage protection" @ 400mv " gives you lower performance

• C-states disabled lowers your singlethread PBO CO score but is much easier to stabilize (my new 24/7 daily profile above have it enabled)

• This x570 board let you run above 100mhz baseclock while still retaining the PBO CO boosting. (my new 24/7 daily profile above is running 100.05mhz) Cant boot 101 but 100.5 seems to be somewhat working.. (are seeing some fishy performance numbers @ 100.5 in some benchmarks so keeping it at 100.05 atm)

• Its recommend to save bios profiles to a USB stick once in a while since profiles can get deleted by a "hard lockup"

Computer Font Screenshot Personal computer Software

Cinebench r20
Aida64 memory benchmark
CPU-Z benchmark
Linpack extreme
35 cycles testmem5 1usmus cfg
Font Biome Screenshot Line Software

OCCT CPU bench
Geekbench 3
3DMark Profiler
100% runmemtestpro

SuperPi 32m with my true and tested everyday memory settings :p
Computer Light Personal computer Screenshot Font

Some async fun below:

1100:1900:4400 Geekbench 3
Font Screenshot Number Circle Parallel
VS my regular synced 1900 CL13
Font Screenshot Number Circle Electric blue

In other news, eager HWbot admins have removed most my scores from their site because i was showing memory timings/settings in screenshot with "Zentimings" instead of useless CPU-Z memory tab which actually don't show anything you wanna know.. That must be the most petty "benchmark-site" ever, where members report all new scores that's faster than their own on stupid technicality instead of trying to beat them, but that is a story for a other day.

In anycase, i had the 5950x #1 (and all Zen3 i think?) for both "Y-CRUNCHER - PI-1B" and "Y-CRUNCHER - PI-2.5B"
Font Computer Screenshot Software Technology

Computer Font Screenshot Software Technology

Computer Product Personal computer Font Screenshot

Vdimm @ 1.6v
Line Font Software Display device Electronic device

Building Font Gadget Display device Facade

Sadly i had a hard lockup at 4866 which nearly bricked my windows, and lost all the bios profiles for my 2x16sticks "#!¤%#&
Pretty sure i can go higher if i spend time finetuning voltages.

Also completed the ramcooler fan swap
Vision care Comfort Eyewear Table Cuisine
Audio equipment Gas Musical instrument accessory Cooktop Electronic instrument

Will maybe try to play around alittle with these 2x8gb sticks before the new cpus show up...
New baseline settings thrown together in 1 min and pure T1 suddenly is child's play with single rank 😅
Font Screenshot Technology Software Electric blue

Rank #1 on hwbot for 2.5B Zen3
Computer Light Font Line Screenshot

Rank #1 on hwbot for 1B Zen3
Computer Font Personal computer Screenshot Line

The only thing bugging me with this motherboard atm, where the heck is our new bios updates !?

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rehash some old observations i found interesting:

• Lately ive seen some reports about motherboards from all the different vendors "getting bricked" by error code "00" (freezing with power/restart button not working). I started experiencing the same problems and after a lengthy search i found the guilty. Turns out CPU switching speed 1000kHZ is the cause for this. Lower it and all is fine. Was talking with one guy on Hydra discord who was prepared to RMA his Asus darkhero because if this, but after he lowered the value motherboard started to act normal again. (i'm running 800kHZ on both CPU and SOC now)

• I'm scoring really low on both Cinebench (r20) singlethread and multithread benchmarks and i cant figure out why. On same static clocks i'm around ~300-400 points lower in MT score than with my Asus motherboard.. Either this is down to the rather old 1203c agesa (which is the only one released for this board by the way), or its because i didn't reinstall windows when i swapped motherboards. Will find out one way or the other as i'm switching to a new win11 install later today..

• I needed ~15mv higher vdimm on the Unify x max to run same timings as my Asus MB (~1.57 vs 1.55v)

• Both "CPU/SOC" Over current protection @ enhanced and ""CPU over voltage protection" @ 400mv " gives you lower performance

• C-states disabled lowers your singlethread PBO CO score but is much easier to stabilize (my new 24/7 daily profile above have it enabled)

• This x570 board let you run above 100mhz baseclock while still retaining the PBO CO boosting. (my new 24/7 daily profile above is running 100.05mhz) Cant boot 101 but 100.5 seems to be somewhat working.. (are seeing some fishy performance numbers @ 100.5 in some benchmarks so keeping it at 100.05 atm)

• Its recommend to save bios profiles to a USB stick once in a while since profiles can get deleted by a "hard lockup"
Thanks for the quick guide on your experience thus far.

Only just gotten the system up and running with XMP 4400Mts @ 1900FCLK for my 3800X. Seems fine. No hassles as usual like the other motherboards I've had with this CPU.

Will start testing frequency limits soon enough. The other two motherboards did manage 5000Mts with this kit of memory, I do hope to be able to push higher this time. Have this for benching only for now.

Attachments

·
Registered
816 Posts
I'm scoring really low on both Cinebench (r20) singlethread and multithread benchmarks and i cant figure out why. On same static clocks i'm around ~300-400 points lower in MT score than with my Asus motherboard.. Either this is down to the rather old 1203c agesa (which is the only one released for this board by the way), or its because i didn't reinstall windows when i swapped motherboards. Will find out one way or the other as i'm switching to a new win11 install later today..
Finally!
After a windows reinstall my numbers are back to where should have been all along :)
Product Azure Computer Font Screenshot

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
5100Mts 21-24-24...

Took a few tries before it wanted to boot but when it did. :)

First actual boot is stable.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Sadly had no success of getting 5200Mts to train/boot yet.
I'm surprised on what kind of timings I'm getting out from the board @ 5100Mts though.

I'm getting equal or better results than my X570 AORUS Xtreme did @ 5000Mts and with quite a much less hassle than the Biostar B550MH wanted to do at 5000Mts as well. That one was not happy at all to do such frequency for such a cheap board, which was a suprise it even did at all.

I'm running some 18-23-18-40-80 5100Mts 1.600v settings without hassle and going steadily downward as I verify the settings are actually stable to use. A few settings tighter each round as I work down sub-timings and mains as I feel comfortable running stability testing in increments.

Only problem of note is I needed to add a fan to cool the memory down when they started to heat up above 54C when I was tightening down tFAW. I had been running them passive this whole time earlier.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
A stable result for tightened 5100Mts.

EDIT:
I tried AIDA64 but something looks seriously wrong with the performance. (might be that Ryzen 3000, just isn't better)
67.9ns latency for 5100Mts with 1900FCLK somehow.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
New bios 7D51v11 works similar to launch BIOS.

Saw no difference updating the BIOS from 7D51V10 [1.2.0.3c]

AGESA 1.2.0.5.
VDDG_CCD & VDDG_IOD seems to work as they should on the 3800X I have the system paired with.
Could set them as I liked in this combination and saw no issues that there is a problem as people seem to have been reporting with these newer Agesa versions.
Might be the issues are only related to 5000 series.

·
Old crazy guy
4,677 Posts
VDDG_CCD & VDDG_IOD seems to work as they should on the 3800X I have the system paired with.
Interesting, on my AORUS Master with the 3600XT with AGESA 1.2.0.5 the VDDG behavior was broken same as the 5000s.
Could be a real fix is coming...
Not sure you can see it with a 3800X, did you notice the vCore limited to 1.4V?
Did you test EDC 1?

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Interesting, on my AORUS Master with the 3600XT with AGESA 1.2.0.5 the VDDG behavior was broken same as the 5000s.
Did you test EDC 1?
Stock CPU it goes up-to 1.500V (1.487~1.494v). So not limited with Optimized Defaults at least.
Shall test EDC 1 soon enough again with the new BIOS. (was working fine on the earlier bios version)

EDIT: EDC 1 works fine with the new BIOS.

• Rep+
Reactions: ManniX-ITA

·
Registered
816 Posts
Did you test EDC 1?
100% confirmed, limited to 1425mv core when over 140 EDC
Result = lower boosting / performance
Screenshot Font Software Technology Electronic device

Back to Hydra then i guess

·
Registered
816 Posts
Lucky this motherboard is dual bios, so its easy to switch back and forth :)
I will stay at bios 1.2.0.3C for the moment.
Computer Font Screenshot Electronic device Technology

Found no difference in memory overclocking either, so as long as you have the cooling required, there is no point to switch to 1.2.0.5
Both screenshots above were taken while running Cinebench RT20 singlecore benchmark...

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
@domdtxdissar
Does the voltage limit only kick into use when you reach above 140EDC utilization or because you set it in BIOS? (applied all the time vs only when criteria is met)

Is it dynamically controlled for and checked from the boosting algorithm in AGESA 1.2.0.5?

I'm thinking this is AMD trying to save you from 'overheating/over-boosting' in the boost algorithm. It's a permanent feature in the algorithm boost calculations.

If it's a simple as it just sets a "maximum" allowed voltage for EDC above 140A... Just use offset core voltage to go above it?

AMD is always holding your hands and disallowing you to play freely when it comes to PBO after all.
It's your "safe playground". They continuously limit what you are allowed to do.

We want a unlimited PBO feature set.

·
Registered
816 Posts
@domdtxdissar
Does the voltage limit only kick into use when you reach above 140EDC utilization or because you set it in BIOS? (applied all the time vs only when criteria is met)
Stock EDC limit is 140a = you get full 1500mv boosting

If you configure PBO (CO) limit in bios to anything above 140a EDC = you get limited vcore to 1425mv
If you configure PBO (CO) limit in bios to or below 140a EDC = you get full voltage range upto 1500mv but reduced multithread performance because EDC starved. (more the higher core count)

Only workaround is to set 140a EDC in bios and and rise the values in Ryzen master.

·
The Factory of the Cell
117 Posts
I have the reg unify and 3800x and I dont know how you guys can get 1900+ fclocks on this one, that's pretty nuts.
I can't run more than 1900 FCLK on the Unify-X Max without WHEA errors and significant performance degradation, so there's that.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
FLCK is always about the silicon quality of your CPU sample. Nothing to do with your motherboard.

I've tried my 3800X on 3 motherboards... all do the same 1900FCLK with the same voltages set. Behaviour doesn't change between them.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
5200Mts booted for a first.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 85 Posts