Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 488 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
v11, the auto XMP command rate is still reading at 2T. Manually changed to 1T and is fine.

• Rep+
Reactions: desoto

·
Registered
515 Posts
How's the new bios? Anything better/worse?

·
Premium Member
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The BIOS seems more fluent. The boot from off is astoundingly fast! Nothing else really, seems good.

• Rep+

·
Registered
515 Posts
I wish the board had more overclocking options but overall it has been rock solid. I can't complain about more options when it's a $220 board.

• Rep+
Reactions: Forsaken1

·
Premium Member
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I take it you are running sr? I was trying 2x8 b die today on z690 Strix d4 and what a pain. 2x16 b die has been good though.
Yep

• Rep+
Reactions: bscool

·
Premium Member
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wish the board had more overclocking options but overall it has been rock solid. I can't complain about more options when it's a $220 board.
It is a pretty good little board isn't it :)

• Rep+
Reactions: Forsaken1

·
Registered
515 Posts
I am at 52p/42e/44ring 1.3 loaded vcore, works great. >20k r23, that's all I really wanted lol.

• Rep+

·
Registered
138 Posts
So, I've wanted to write my experiences with this board down sometime, it seems this is the best thread to do it. Read the excellent guide by RobertoSampaio for ASUS boards here: ASUS MAXIMUS Z690 EXTREME & i9-12900K GUIDE - Load...

With regards to AC_LL, DC_LL and LLC from my testing, MSI must have some kind of offsets in there.

Code:
ASUS								MSI		DC_LL	AC_LL

LLC1: 1.7 milliohms					LLC8	100		50
LLC2: 1.46 milliohms				LLC7	80		40
LLC3: 1.1 milliohms					LLC6	60		30
LLC4: 0.98 milliohms				LLC5	40		20
LLC5: 0.73 milliohms				LLC4	20		10
LLC6: 0.49 milliohms				LLC3	
LLC7: 0.24 milliohms				LLC2
LLC8: 0.01 milliohms (flat).		LLC1
This is what roughly works for me. I didn't go more than LLC4. Having the DC_LL this way to the MSI LLC makes VID=Vcore under load, at least for me. Also, having AC_LL ~ half DC_LL will most of the time achieve stable vcore.

Things I struggled with on this board were that CEP is enabled by default (I think ASUS has it disabled) and I was wondering why it throttled sometimes. However it's not linear. From AC_LL 1-4 it does not throttle for me, above that it does until somewhere over ~40. It's very strange.

Also, if you change anything with regards to voltage it will always reset your AC_LL and DC_LL values.

Also. Does any1 have the problem that any offsets set in advanced offset mode are not zeroed when you return it to Auto and 0? I had to CMOS reset to get rid of these.

·
Premium Member
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
v11 bug found, well for me anyway.

bug: turning on PSU switch from off results in the MB turning on. this to me isn't normal behavior.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Have 3 z690 boards.Pro is easy to work with.Assus needs a ton of tweaking for same result and more voltage.Gigabyte is 3 months away from a decent bios.

garikfox no power issues for me 1.1v

Quick look at 1.1.No longer in bios is eventually ram voltage.That needs to return asap.

Lets see them tweaks.

Sub ambient.
Product Computer Font Screenshot Personal computer

·
Registered
515 Posts
What exactly are your changed settings from stock bios? aka LLC, fixed voltage or adaptive... :unsure:
Adaptive with +0.075 and mode 7 llc. I had a custom ac dc but can't remember not at home yet. But yeah I did it all with it still being variable.

• Rep+

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am at 52p/42e/44ring 1.3 loaded vcore, works great. >20k r23, that's all I really wanted lol.
I've been playing with this board and a 12600K this last couple of weeks and have done a lot of stability testing on the latest prime95 small ftt's (AVX disabled). I can run r23 all day long at 5.2ghz, but it will not pass prime95 without a lot more voltage than 5.1ghz is stable at under load (1.308v).

Ring is stable at 4.2ghz and the ecores at 4ghz. If I raise either of these, it will show instabilities on prime95 after a period of time.

Either you have a golden chip in comparison to what I've been testing, or it will hard lock / fail a prime95 stability test.

This PC is water cooled with 2x 360's, but I'm still not willing to raise the vcore to 1.38v+ to get 5.2ghz stable. (It's for my old man for Christmas).

These clocks have been tested over 12hrs prime95 30.7 (adl version) stable. A lot of people's clocks on this forum I can guarantee aren't stable (I'm not saying yours aren't), I'm just putting my findings out there in case people are finding they can't reach stable clocks after reading a lot of different numbers on this forum.

Side note: 5.1ghz stable with RAM at 3800mhz, 16-16-16-33, G1, 1T, 1.4v. SA voltage of 1.2v. (G.skill 2x8GB 4266 C19).

I've also tested around 4 different BIOS's including today's beta on Google drive and didn't find any to be able to give any more stability / headroom over another. All pretty much the same regarding CPU / RAM clocks in my testing.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I've been playing with this board and a 12600K this last couple of weeks and have done a lot of stability testing on the latest prime95 small ftt's (AVX disabled). I can run r23 all day long at 5.2ghz, but it will not pass prime95 without a lot more voltage than 5.1ghz is stable at under load (1.308v).

Ring is stable at 4.2ghz and the ecores at 4ghz. If I raise either of these, it will show instabilities on prime95 after a period of time.

Either you have a golden chip in comparison to what I've been testing, or it will hard lock / fail a prime95 stability test.

This PC is water cooled with 2x 360's, but I'm still not willing to raise the vcore to 1.38v to get 5.2ghz stable. (It's for my old man for Christmas).

These clocks have been tested over 12hrs prime95 30.7/30.8 (adl version) stable. A lot of people's clocks on this forum I can guarantee aren't stable (I'm not saying yours aren't), I'm just putting my findings out there in case people are finding they can't reach stable clocks after reading a lot of different numbers on this forum.

Side note: 5.1ghz stable with RAM at 3800mhz, 16-16-16-33, G1, 1T, 1.4v. SA voltage of 1.2v. (G.skill 2x8GB 4233 C19).
Oh it'll fail prime im sure lol. Everyone has their level of stability satisfaction. I've had stuff never have a problem for games or anything but fail prime within a second. So I just don't bother with prime.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Oh it'll fail prime im sure lol. Everyone has their level of stability satisfaction. I've had stuff never have a problem for games or anything but fail prime within a second. So I just don't bother with prime.
That's fair enough, I have had to make sure this is 100% stable as I don't want my old man to have any unexpected issues.

I'm pretty much old school with regards to stability, so will go out of my way to try and get it 100% daily stable before calling an overclock a success.

I do understand there are a number of other people who are happy as long as it works OK in the games they are playing.

·
Registered
515 Posts
That's fair enough, I have had to make sure this is 100% stable as I don't want my old man to have any unexpected issues.

I'm pretty much old school with regards to stability, so will go out of my way to try and get it 100% daily stable before calling an overclock a success.

I do understand there are a number of other people who are happy as long as it works OK in the games they are playing.
I build computers for work that do solidworks and if I overclock them then I start playing with prime. Though new cpus don't really need it for them. Was different when an 8700k is stock at such pathetic ratios lol

• Rep+
Reactions: Flam3h
1 - 20 of 488 Posts