Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
MSI HD6950 TF3.

Heat/noise on a reference 6970 would be much more than that 6950.

OCed 6950 can match the 6970.

You could unlock the 6950 into a 6970 if you get lucky.

• Rep+
Reactions: Allencarstensen

·
Registered
114 Posts
If your case gets really hot then get the 6970 as it will exhaust air out of case
If you don't mind hot air exhausted in your case by gpu then get the 6950 TFIII

·
phenomenal swag
3,673 Posts
If you're going to run more than one GPU, than go with the Sapphire 6970. The TF3 just dumps hot air back into the case. The problem is compounded if you're running 2 of them sandwiched together.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pteek
View Post

MSI HD6950 TF3.

Heat/noise on a reference 6970 would be much more than that 6950.

OCed 6950 can match the 6970.

You could unlock the 6950 into a 6970 if you get lucky.

There's no luck involved. The 2gb 6950 TFIII edition has a special tool for it made specifically for the card by MSI that unlocks shaders with a 100% success rate.

That + overclocking = easy performance bump up to the 6970 level at a lower cost.

@OP, go for the MSI card

Quote:

Originally Posted by decimate
View Post

If you're going to run more than one GPU, than go with the Sapphire 6970. The TF3 just dumps hot air back into the case. The problem is compounded if you're running 2 of them sandwiched together.

this is also a factor, but if your case has good airflow it should balance out.

·
Premium Member
20,305 Posts
hardly a price difference.

go with the 6970.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xPrestonn
View Post

There's no luck involved. The 2gb 6950 TFIII edition has a special tool for it made specifically for the card by MSI that unlocks shaders with a 100% success rate.

That + overclocking = easy performance bump up to the 6970 level at a lower cost.

@OP, go for the MSI card

this is also a factor, but if your case has good airflow it should balance out.

I also thought that it could be unlocked.But i didn't wanted to misinform him

BTW,The 6970 didn't sell that much then?

Of course the 6950s were locked because they were inferior.

What you think?

·
Registered
641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allencarstensen;15216027
I still haven't made a decision. I'm new to overclocking too. Have yet to do it.
Go for the 6950.It WILL unlock to a 6970.And far better cooler than that sapphire 6970.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
6970 no doubt, while you can unlock and OC your 6950, it's still just a 6950. Even unlocked it won't match your 6970 OC...
6970 ref arent that noisy at all if you leave the fan on auto or use a good fan curve on Afterburner so i don't see the TIII gaiNing any advantage there either.
And like someone said before if you alrdy have a hot case with poor air flow you will soon find your new TIII to be a real pain in the .... As it will blow all the hot air inside.

If you can afford the difference, just buy the 6970, it's simple as that.

·
Registered
688 Posts
its not toxic edition. lol id get the frozer. i also got the sapphire 6950 from tigerdirect with 3 games. dirt 3, deus ex, and shogun. sold all 3 games for 90 bucks and 20 $ rebate i literally bought a high end 6950 for the price of like a gtx 460 haha

·
Registered
392 Posts
I debated this early this week and went with the twin frozr iii. It unlocked easily and these supposedly oc very well too. I expect it will perform great with superb temps. I prefer aftermarket cooling so the reference sapphire 6970 wasn't for me. The chance of unlocking the tfiii did entice me a lot.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts