Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 320 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127732

This is a new MSI card. I can't seem to find any professional reviews and there are no Newegg reviews. Does anyone know of any professional reviews they can point me to? If you own one of these, please tell me your thoughts on the card. I know a lot of it is pure chance, but the thing I'm most interested in is how well it overclocks (stability, voltage scaling, temperatures when overclocked/overvolted).

I've been on the hunt for a new 7970, and I've narrowed down my search to this card and the HIS 7970 GHz Edition IceQ X2 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161431)

All I know is they have the same stock clocks and same stock voltages, but the MSI card is an XT core (non-Ghz) and the HIS card is an XT2 core (Ghz Ed). The HIS card has better memory (probably high-binned Hynix with 1500Mhz clock), dual 8-pin connectors, and an extra power phase (which apparently means nothing). But the MSI card has a reference board with a great cooler and costs $50 less.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
597 Posts
Just ordered my self MSI 7970 last night, will receive it on Wednesday. Will be testing the card wed, also i have tried his 7970 ghz edition card performance was not so great for me with there card. If i were you i would go with MSI 7970, its voltage unlocked and it cools really nice. Thats just my two cents, i was not happy with HIS Cards.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PainKiller89 View Post

Just ordered my self MSI 7970 last night, will receive it on Wednesday. Will be testing the card wed, also i have tried his 7970 ghz edition card performance was not so great for me with there card. If i were you i would go with MSI 7970, its voltage unlocked and it cools really nice. Thats just my two cents, i was not happy with HIS Cards.
Really? Did it just not OC well? What was your max OC with it? I know from reviews that the IceQ cooler is one of the best out there, but so is Twin Frozr, so I think these cards are at a tie for cooling. The HIS card is voltage unlocked too. I have until April 30 to make my decision but with the way things usually go over at Newegg, I don't trust either card to stay in stock for that long... But I think think I'll choose before Wednesday, so let me know how it goes once you get it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamhollywood5 View Post

Really? Did it just not OC well? What was your max OC with it? I know from reviews that the IceQ cooler is one of the best out there, but so is Twin Frozr, so I think these cards are at a tie for cooling. The HIS card is voltage unlocked too. I have until April 30 to make my decision but with the way things usually go over at Newegg, I don't trust either card to stay in stock for that long... But I think think I'll choose before Wednesday, so let me know how it goes once you get it.
I know if you buy it from newegg and if you want to return it, they charge you restocking fee. All you need to do is just tell them the card is DOA. They will give you a full refund. Thats what i do with newegg return. Ye will let you know once i receive the card and test it. HIS is unlocked, but the performance was poor for me when i had receive the card from newegg. Asic was around 61%, i might have just gotten a bad card but who knows. Ye the decision is up to you, but i would recommend MSI or Asus.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by PainKiller89 View Post

I know if you buy it from newegg and if you want to return it, they charge you restocking fee. All you need to do is just tell them the card is DOA. They will give you a full refund. Thats what i do with newegg return. Ye will let you know once i receive the card and test it. HIS is unlocked, but the performance was poor for me when i had receive the card from newegg. Asic was around 61%, i might have just gotten a bad card but who knows. Ye the decision is up to you, but i would recommend MSI or Asus.
But if the card isn't actually DOA, don't they test it and find out and still charge the restock fee? And it seems like every single 7970 sold over the past 4 months has been sub-70 ASIC =/ I'm kinda scared to buy any 7970 right now. I had 2 Sapphire 7970 Vapor-Xs already, first one died, and I sold the replacement because it was too big of a card to crossfire and was a horrible overclocker. First card had 63.4% ASIC, second was 56.3%.

Anyways, I planned on returning the MSI if I wasn't happy with the performance, ASIC score, and overclock. I'm extremely picky. I was prepared to pay the restocking fee for cards until I got one I was finally happy with, but if simply telling them it's DOA works every time, I'll do that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamhollywood5 View Post

But if the card isn't actually DOA, don't they test it and find out and still charge the restock fee? And it seems like every single 7970 sold over the past 4 months has been sub-70 ASIC =/ I'm kinda scared to buy any 7970 right now. I had 2 Sapphire 7970 Vapor-Xs already, first one died, and I sold the replacement because it was too big of a card to crossfire and was a horrible overclocker. First card had 63.4% ASIC, second was 56.3%.

Anyways, I planned on returning the MSI if I wasn't happy with the performance, ASIC score, and overclock. I'm extremely picky. I was prepared to pay the restocking fee for cards until I got one I was finally happy with, but if simply telling them it's DOA works every time, I'll do that.
Ye they dont test any cards, just tell them it died for the card came in DOA. You will get all of your money back. Those 7970 its very hard to get a really good asic score, This is my first time ordering a MSI card, i hope i get a good card. For the past few months been missing around with 7950's at home. Performance is not so good at all. I have 4 7950's sitting at home not being used atm, i might just sell them after getting a good reference 7970 which i can flash to ghz bios.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
465 Posts
Ordered mine Sunday from newegg, got it in today. Wanted to test it out but my new case wont be in until tomorrow (my current case doesn't fit my new power supply,. and my old power supply is rubbish. Plus Im lazy).

Also got in a 1440p monitor today which is why i got the card. I figured my gtx 660 would cut it at 2560x1440
 

·
Watercooler
Joined
·
3,646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by newone757 View Post

Ordered mine Sunday from newegg, got it in today. Wanted to test it out but my new case wont be in until tomorrow (my current case doesn't fit my new power supply,. and my old power supply is rubbish. Plus Im lazy).

Also got in a 1440p monitor today which is why i got the card. I figured my gtx 660 would cut it at 2560x1440
Run it without a case!!!! Enjoy!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice! Let me know how it goes. I'm still really on the fence between the HIS 7970 IceQ X2 and the MSI TF3. MSI has a great reputation for quality and the TF3 has a great price and it's a reference PCB with one of the best coolers, but it's not a GHz Edition so it has lower-binned memory. Memory clocks aren't nearly as important to me as core clocks, but the HIS card is (IMO) far better looking, it's thinner (better for crossfire temps), has slightly better VRAM, has an amazing cooler, and in all the recent reviews it has shown to overclock very well... it's just that it costs $50 more =/ If it was $440 or even had a $20 rebate I'd have already ordered it. Giving myself one full week from today to make up my mind.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,199 Posts
Just because somecards run 1500mhz out of the box doesnt mean they have Higher Binned memory.

In the beginning when amd released 7970 lots of card had 1.5v on the memory voltage, these days all cards come with 1.6v on default voltage.
So 1500mhz is like peanuts for these ram chips.

If you check a review of the MSI 7970 tf online, they can only clock the memory very low. While i have a Reference MSI 7970 and can OC the ram to 1800mhz ish without even touching the memory voltage.

If you want to OC the card on Aircooling, i think you better can get a normall GPU.
That is because MSI bins the GPu's to have good GPU OC's on LN2, not for the daily Aircooling OC.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They use different brands. For most custom-PCB GHz Edition cards, they use high-binned memory from Hynix or Samsung usually. Cards that only have 1375mhz are usually lower-quality brands. You just got lucky with yours. I've owned 2 different Sapphire 7970 GHz Editions and while they could only clock very low on the core, they could both clock to 1700-1800 completely stable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
735 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamhollywood5 View Post

They use different brands. For most custom-PCB GHz Edition cards, they use high-binned memory from Hynix or Samsung usually. Cards that only have 1375mhz are usually lower-quality brands. You just got lucky with yours. I've owned 2 different Sapphire 7970 GHz Editions and while they could only clock very low on the core, they could both clock to 1700-1800 completely stable.
all im gonna add is i have had 3 different 7970 .......2 dual x OC and a Vapor X Ghz....none touched 60% ASIC and one was @51% ..

the Vapor X didnt OC for **** and it sounded like a jet enjine......the first dual X was ok could do 1200 core......

i will never buy a sapphire card again.....all on the 50's for asic....i can understand the dual X.....BUT THE VAPOR X? isnt it a top 7970? the F

i have interest on the MSI one and the HIS one .....most important is Silent Air cooling and OC !

ill be making a decision when nvidia releases the 700 series and ill take it from there!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sapphire used to be pretty good, but they have gone downhill and lately they are just trash. I've yet to hear of a single Sapphire card with a ASIC higher than 65% or higher sold by them in the last 6 months. I hated both my Vapor-Xs. The ASIC scores were 63.4% and 56.3%. Neither could clock past 1100 on the core no matter how much voltage was given, both had terrible coil whine, and both had fan rattling at various particular speeds. The first one died within a month of use, and the replacement was a refurbished card that came WARPED AND BENT straight of the box - severe PCB warpage, PCI bracket bent. And they refused to give me a different replacement because the card technically was fully functional. I swear they only use bottom-of-the-barrel parts over at Sapphire and they are the cheapest brand in the world when it comes to their RMA outsources (Althon Micro). And yes the Vapor-X is supposed to be a top-teir premium card (hence the price-tag, the only Sapphire card above the Vapor-X is the Toxic) so it's even bigger bullsh** that they give them bottom-barrel chips. Two GPU brands I will surely never buy from again are XFX and Sapphire. Both horrible.

I think what I'm gonna do is order both the HIS 7970 and MSI 7970 at the same time, test them out, and return/sell the lower-quality card. I'll make sure to post on these forums a comparison of the two after working with them both first-hand.
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: Gerbacio

·
Registered
Joined
·
735 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamhollywood5 View Post

Sapphire used to be pretty good, but they have gone downhill and lately they are just trash. I've yet to hear of a single Sapphire card with a ASIC higher than 65% or higher sold by them in the last 6 months. I hated both my Vapor-Xs. The ASIC scores were 63.4% and 56.3%. Neither could clock past 1100 on the core no matter how much voltage was given, both had terrible coil whine, and both had fan rattling at various particular speeds. The first one died within a month of use, and the replacement was a refurbished card that came WARPED AND BENT straight of the box - severe PCB warpage, PCI bracket bent. And they refused to give me a different replacement because the card technically was fully functional. I swear they only use bottom-of-the-barrel parts over at Sapphire and they are the cheapest brand in the world when it comes to their RMA outsources (Althon Micro). And yes the Vapor-X is supposed to be a top-teir premium card (hence the price-tag, the only Sapphire card above the Vapor-X is the Toxic) so it's even bigger bullsh** that they give them bottom-barrel chips. Two GPU brands I will surely never buy from again are XFX and Sapphire. Both horrible.

I think what I'm gonna do is order both the HIS 7970 and MSI 7970 at the same time, test them out, and return/sell the lower-quality card. I'll make sure to post on these forums a comparison of the two after working with them both first-hand.
+rep and looking forward for the reviews! will +rep again!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
465 Posts
Finally got my rig together but didn't have much time to do anything else. Just fired up a few games to see what they look like on my new 1440p screen. During quick test the temp maxed at 72c and I never heard the fans (although I have a loud CPU fan running right now that i need to sort out first. But Im pretty sure I would have heard the gpu fan cause I set it to 100% and that thing was howling)

In all honesty I've never actually checked out/tested a card for anyone before so you guys let me know what you wanna see. I did run to see the ASIC score and it was a measly 64% . But Im happy regardless. Ive only ever games on an old (and free) geforce 4 series and integrated graphics up until a couple weeks ago when I bought a GTX 660 for my SFF build and caught the GPU bug. So Im just happy to be here lol.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by newone757 View Post

Finally got my rig together but didn't have much time to do anything else. Just fired up a few games to see what they look like on my new 1440p screen. During quick test the temp maxed at 72c and I never heard the fans (although I have a loud CPU fan running right now that i need to sort out first. But Im pretty sure I would have heard the gpu fan cause I set it to 100% and that thing was howling)

In all honesty I've never actually checked out/tested a card for anyone before so you guys let me know what you wanna see. I did run to see the ASIC score and it was a measly 64% . But Im happy regardless. Ive only ever games on an old (and free) geforce 4 series and integrated graphics up until a couple weeks ago when I bought a GTX 660 for my SFF build and caught the GPU bug. So Im just happy to be here lol.
72C with no overclocking? Kind of expected better from Twin Frozr... As for that ASIC rating, it seems impossible to find any 7900 GPU over 70% for like the last 6 months. I don't know what's going on but it's frustrating. Earlier 7900 cards were usually in the 80s.

Anyway, once you get around to overclocking, let me know the results =)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamhollywood5 View Post

72C with no overclocking? Kind of expected better from Twin Frozr... As for that ASIC rating, it seems impossible to find any 7900 GPU over 70% for like the last 6 months. I don't know what's going on but it's frustrating. Earlier 7900 cards were usually in the 80s.

Anyway, once you get around to overclocking, let me know the results =)
Yep got up to 72 no OC (besides the higher than reference core clock). Everything I played on was maxed out settings (turned AA off though because of the resolution) @ 1440p so I think I was pushing ti pretty good. Not too sure if I plan on doing too much OC in my typical gaming but I'll give it a go within reason just to see.

Seems to be idling @ around 37c right now so we'll see what happens when I push it again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomNomNom View Post

My MSI 7950 TF3 has a asic of 89%, got it during christmas
It's a 7950 with way lower voltage. It's 7970s that all seem to be low ASIC nowadays.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
465 Posts
Tried some minor OC's (basically what the reference card is capable of) with no luck. Seemed to be fine for a minute and then random freezes. Ill have to increases it very slowly, trial and error, and I'm probably not going to do that right now. I just want to enjoy my card as is for now
smile.gif
 
1 - 20 of 320 Posts
Top