Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had this R9 270x for almost 2 years, hadn't changed the thermal paste once until about a week and a half ago. Noticed a 10 degree difference after cleaning up the chip and adding paste.
But now, a week and a half later, 0-5% gpu usage temps are at a consistent 40c as opposed to 27-32c after adding the paste. Temps now peak at 70-74c when gpu usage is near or at 100% usage as opposed to 59-64c after adding the paste. I switched out my psu with a newer one I had on hand to see if maybe it was a power related issue, but no change. Temps are almost exactly the same after doing so. Is my poor old R9 270x dying? ):

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know how good the paste actually is, it's the paste that came with my Hyper 212 Evo cooler. And yes, I took great caution when putting the cooler back on, looks exactly as it was before. The fans don't appear to be dying or anything either.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've used bundled CM paste before on a GPU and can confirm it's pretty good stuff. Only things I can really say are make sure you used enough, and that you torqued the mounting screws down so there's at least the same amount of mounting pressure there was before.

Your temps are still ok though.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gotcha, thanks for the advice I really appreciate it. I figured the temps were still in the OK range, but a part of me feels like those temps are unacceptable haha.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts