Overclock.net banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, ive had this card for about 3 months now, and it has probably been more hassle than any other PC components I have ever had.

The biggest issue I have with it is that from time to time it just doesn't post for some reason, I can hear its fans whir up a few times and then it just gives up and the PC doesn't boot. If this happens all I do to fix it is open the PC up and remove the card and just reseat it (put it back into its PCI slot and put screws back in) this always seems to fix it, what might cause this issue?

The second and most annoying issue is that sometimes when booting the PC it boots at 60 or 50% fan speed, and I do not mean in the post operation, after it posts it stays at this speed until the PC is fully booted and I can go into the MSI afterburner software and turn the fan speed down to the 24% it should boot at, then put it back to auto which then proceeds to keep it at that speed. Why might it be doing this?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mike12345567
View Post

Ok, ive had this card for about 3 months now, and it has probably been more hassle than any other PC components I have ever had.

The biggest issue I have with it is that from time to time it just doesn't post for some reason, I can hear its fans whir up a few times and then it just gives up and the PC doesn't boot. If this happens all I do to fix it is open the PC up and remove the card and just reseat it (put it back into its PCI slot and put screws back in) this always seems to fix it, what might cause this issue?

The second and most annoying issue is that sometimes when booting the PC it boots at 60 or 50% fan speed, and I do not mean in the post operation, after it posts it stays at this speed until the PC is fully booted and I can go into the MSI afterburner software and turn the fan speed down to the 24% it should boot at, then put it back to auto which then proceeds to keep it at that speed. Why might it be doing this?

First guess? Power supply issue. Perhaps not acquiring enough current from the express slot itself? May explain why a resealing is necessary. Why such a complication surfaces occasionally instead of constantly, well, is a curiosity indeed.

RPM spikes of the fan are another & typical indicator of insufficient power supplied to the card. In my experience, though, the computer and/or card itself doesn't boot when demonstrating such behavior as a circumstance of said power insufficiency; for example, I'll forget to attach requisite PCI-E connectors to a GPU in crossfire & the result is a card not present via "device manager" (at least not preceding a reboot). So perhaps I'm barking up the wrong tree in trying to understand what's happening.

There's a bit of anomalous card behavior going on here, though, & I'd initiate troubleshooting protocol by ensuring the PSU is doing it's job. Try the card in another computer, perhaps. Maybe the motherboard isn't diverting enough power through the PCI-E slot itself, for example. Good luck, let us know what turns up.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you for the reply, I was worried about not having enough power supply when I originally built so I got a corsair TX 850W PSU, which is a lot more powerful than I needed.
I don't have another PC that could support the card, but I shall try using a different PCI-E cable from the power supply.

Thank you for the reply!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mike12345567
View Post

thank you for the reply, I was worried about not having enough power supply when I originally built so I got a corsair TX 850W PSU, which is a lot more powerful than I needed.
I don't have another PC that could support the card, but I shall try using a different PCI-E cable from the power supply.

Thank you for the reply!

My pleasure, buddy.
Have you tried flashing the bios with an updated version ? Even if not one specifically written for your vendor's card? The problem is isolated to the boot procedure, after all, which could indicate some flaw in the BIOS itself. I remember XFX released a BIOS revision for the 5870 I had last year that specifically resolved the type of problem you're enduring. That may be a substantially better first step than isolating components like the mobo & PSU.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, so I checked my BIOS version and it is up to date :S I don't know where to take it from here, it is really odd what is happening to this card, happened again on load up there :S

·
Registered
199 Posts
Sorry to hijack this thread, i don't have any advice, but XXXfire nice rig man

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmmm, I haven't updated my BIOS on my motherboard, although I believe it is up to date. The reason I thought it was something to do with software was the fact that after the generic drivers are used during POST the gpu calms down, but once it begins to load windows it goes nuts again :S

·
Premium Member
20,438 Posts
I read a similar thread yesterday and the person uninstalled his MSI afterburner and his problems went away. Try it.

• Rep+
Reactions: mike12345567

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ill try this, you may just have the solution, I truely believe it is a software issue, so this may do it
smile.gif
never thought of it also lol

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok I may have resolved the issue, the PC has run without an issue for the last 2 or 3 nights, before I attempted a fix it was 1 in 3 boots were messed up.

I dunno why, but I updated my Catalyst Control Center to 11.6 from 11.5, I still have MSI afterburner, and the GPU BIOS is the latest it can be, drivers are also up to date.

I don't think it is the motherboard BIOS which is the issue as the issue occurs when windows gets to the welcome screen, which is why I believed it to be software.

I believe the issue is resolved or at least drastically reduced, but only time will tell if the problem has been fixed.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Card started having issues again after driver update, being sent back to company for testing, I gave up on it, I had no ideas left lol

·
Meow!
8,489 Posts
My Sapphire does it the same when POST it max out the RPM at 50% for 1-2 seconds. It's not the power issue, it's just when you boot. It runs at full power because the GPU itself controller haven't boot up itself yet too to control the fan and temperature reading.

It's a safe protocol to keep the card from heat surge at boot. My card is fine + overclocking on my HX750.

Try on a 1000watts. it's the same outcome.

·
Meow!
8,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyatom;14534388
I am also guessing it's more of motherboard related. Do you have another system to try out your 6970?
Actually good point, I'll check later tonight. It might be one of the POST BIOS setting.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok to start off im just gonna mention that the issue is not during post or boot, its way after that, once the PC reaches the windows 7 welcome screen the issue arises, crossing out many motherboard related issues.
Secondly I have returned the card to the company for testing, it apparently failed their benchmarks as it crashed out on Crysis and so was decided to be faulty, so I am getting a new one. Hopefully *fingers crossed* this fixes the issue.

The sad part is that the card I had is not in production anymore, so I replacement may be hard to come by... I really hope this fixes the problem after all this trouble -_- I don't believe it could be a motherboard hardware issue, and the fact that it failed the Crysis test by crashing out everytime they ran it keeps me hopeful that the issue was the card itself (I experienced this issue myself, the card had a tendency to crash out in a lot of intensive games, I just thought it was a problem with incompatibly with windows 7 :S)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts