Overclock.net banner

MSI Radeon 6970, some major issues

1034 Views 16 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  mike12345567
Ok, ive had this card for about 3 months now, and it has probably been more hassle than any other PC components I have ever had.

The biggest issue I have with it is that from time to time it just doesn't post for some reason, I can hear its fans whir up a few times and then it just gives up and the PC doesn't boot. If this happens all I do to fix it is open the PC up and remove the card and just reseat it (put it back into its PCI slot and put screws back in) this always seems to fix it, what might cause this issue?

The second and most annoying issue is that sometimes when booting the PC it boots at 60 or 50% fan speed, and I do not mean in the post operation, after it posts it stays at this speed until the PC is fully booted and I can go into the MSI afterburner software and turn the fan speed down to the 24% it should boot at, then put it back to auto which then proceeds to keep it at that speed. Why might it be doing this?
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
335 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mike12345567
View Post

Ok, ive had this card for about 3 months now, and it has probably been more hassle than any other PC components I have ever had.

The biggest issue I have with it is that from time to time it just doesn't post for some reason, I can hear its fans whir up a few times and then it just gives up and the PC doesn't boot. If this happens all I do to fix it is open the PC up and remove the card and just reseat it (put it back into its PCI slot and put screws back in) this always seems to fix it, what might cause this issue?

The second and most annoying issue is that sometimes when booting the PC it boots at 60 or 50% fan speed, and I do not mean in the post operation, after it posts it stays at this speed until the PC is fully booted and I can go into the MSI afterburner software and turn the fan speed down to the 24% it should boot at, then put it back to auto which then proceeds to keep it at that speed. Why might it be doing this?

First guess? Power supply issue. Perhaps not acquiring enough current from the express slot itself? May explain why a resealing is necessary. Why such a complication surfaces occasionally instead of constantly, well, is a curiosity indeed.

RPM spikes of the fan are another & typical indicator of insufficient power supplied to the card. In my experience, though, the computer and/or card itself doesn't boot when demonstrating such behavior as a circumstance of said power insufficiency; for example, I'll forget to attach requisite PCI-E connectors to a GPU in crossfire & the result is a card not present via "device manager" (at least not preceding a reboot). So perhaps I'm barking up the wrong tree in trying to understand what's happening.

There's a bit of anomalous card behavior going on here, though, & I'd initiate troubleshooting protocol by ensuring the PSU is doing it's job. Try the card in another computer, perhaps. Maybe the motherboard isn't diverting enough power through the PCI-E slot itself, for example. Good luck, let us know what turns up.

· Registered
335 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mike12345567
View Post

thank you for the reply, I was worried about not having enough power supply when I originally built so I got a corsair TX 850W PSU, which is a lot more powerful than I needed.
I don't have another PC that could support the card, but I shall try using a different PCI-E cable from the power supply.

Thank you for the reply!

My pleasure, buddy.
Have you tried flashing the bios with an updated version ? Even if not one specifically written for your vendor's card? The problem is isolated to the boot procedure, after all, which could indicate some flaw in the BIOS itself. I remember XFX released a BIOS revision for the 5870 I had last year that specifically resolved the type of problem you're enduring. That may be a substantially better first step than isolating components like the mobo & PSU.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.