Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Firstly thank you for your time in trying to help me answer my questions. And apologies if this is in the wrong section.

So I'm going to be building a new PC soon and I'm stuck between making a decision on weather to go for Msi or Asus. I've always been a fan of Asus and have always used it but Msi is very appealing too as well as it being slightly cheaper.

I would like my build to be as appealing as possible so I don't want to mix up different brands.

My plans are:

Intel i7 8700K

Asus Z370 Maximus x Hero or Msi Z370 Gaming M5

Asus GTX1080 Ti Strix (Non-OC) or Msi GTX1080 Ti Gaming X Trio

Corsiar HX750i 750w PSU or Corsair RM850i 850w PSU

Corsiar Vengeance 16GB DDR4 3600Mhz

Samsung 960 Evo 250GB NVMe SSD

Now the prices of the Msi Motherboard and GPU are cheaper, they are just as appealing as the Asus stuff as well as the Gpu has a higher core clock than the Asus. So obviously the cheaper the better but if the features and quality aren't as good as Asus then I'm willing to pay the extra amount.

I haven't heard good thing about Gigabyte. So they're out of the question.

When I say quality, I mean the chokes, capacitors, life span, voltage control, Overclocking capabilities, cooling, ect.

When I say features, I'm talking about Bios, Sound quality (Supreme FX), USB, RAID capabilities, Number of capable Devices restricted by PCIe lanes, ect.

Also, Is it a good idea to do this now or would it be a better idea to wait for new releases in early 2018? Although I don't see any solid evidence of Nvidia or Intel releasing anything new soon?

Is a 750w power supply big enough for this setup or should I go for an 850w?

If I have missed anything, please let me know.

Thanks Guys!

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,943 Posts
I'm here to answer the question about the PSU.

It's quite overkill for this, so you're covered. You could power it with a good quality-made 550W PSU and still be fine.

·
Senior OCN Member
40,422 Posts
The HXi is not worth buying at all when the RMi and RMx are both better and cheaper
Lots are buying the HXi when in fact its the worst option of the 3, shows that marketing hype and a higher 80 plus rating sells more units

Wattage wise 750 watts is already way overkill
And last drop the 960 Evo as its not faster in any way over an AHCI based SATA III SSD out in the real world

Unless you are using Linux you are not getting anything out of the 960 Evo as the drive is held back by software limitations in Windows

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
The ROG brand products from Asus have been pretty solid, but allot of the stuff is pretty overkill. If you don't need the features it offers, the MSI is a nice money savings. Just consider things like Wifi that the Asus has that the MSI doesn't.

As for the GPU, the MSI looks good. Reviews had the load temps within 1°C of the Strix but the MSI makes 4 dB less noise. Considering every 3 dB sounds twice as loud, that is allot less noise.

I'd change out that SSD for something like a 850 Evo 500GB. It costs about the same with double the capacity. 250GB isn't enough these days with games reaching >60GB each.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I've used plenty of MSI Gaming VGAs and they are great, supper silent , great overclockers with out sounding like a jet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts