18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I'm looking for the best 680 card.

I've narrowed it down to these two options:

1) MSI Lightning 680 2GB

or the

2) ASUS GTX 680 Direct CUII TOP.

I will be gaming on one 2560x1440 monitor.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. No AMD please!!
tongue.gif

·
Registered
264 Posts
Both are really good cards, but I'd also go with the Lightning - especially if they still have the software voltage unlock ability (think that's been taken away though
frown.gif
). OC is always a crap shoot, but I imagine you should be able to get as good if not better OC with the Lightning. Plus it's a two slot design in case you want to go SLI later.

·
lAptOp jUnKie
4,637 Posts
Now I see you're eye-ballin' 680's instead of 670's
thinking.gif
Well I would go with the Lightning 680
thumb.gif

BTW...Understand that the 680 Lightning is only 7% to 8% faster than the following 670's (after both are OCed):

MSI Power Edition
ASUS Direct CU II
Gigabyte OC
EVGA FTW
Zotac Amped

IMO, it's not worth spending an extra $100 when comparing to these particular 670's, unless you're a die-hard benchmarker
wink.gif

EDIT: Thought I should just stick to answering your question instead of sharing what I think, although you can still read it while it's scratched out
whistle.gif

• Rep+
Reactions: eXXon

·
Premium Member
5,437 Posts
I'd get the Lightning over the DC2T, cooling/noise wise they are both very good but I saw a OCN test a few month ago showing Lightning is slightly better & 2 slot(DC2T is 3 slot). I take the Lightning because it is cheaper and have Software Voltage control with 3A Bios & MSI Afterburner 2.2.3.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherlock View Post

I'd get the Lightning over the DC2T, cooling/noise wise they are both very good but I saw a OCN test a few month ago showing Lightning is slightly better & 2 slot(DC2T is 3 slot). I take the Lightning because it is cheaper and have Software Voltage control with 3A Bios & MSI Afterburner 2.2.3.
So you can still over-volt new GTX680 Lightnings via Afterburner? If that's true AND it's cheaper than the Asus = pretty easy decision IMO -> get the Lightning.
thumb.gif

·
Needs more voltage
503 Posts
I'd go with the Lightning. They're about the same when it comes to cooling and noise, but the Lightning is a 2 slot design and therefor much less unwieldy than the DCII.

·
Pinoy po mga koya
7,528 Posts
no brainer. go for the lightning because it's a 2 slot card. trust me you won't like a 3 slot card. (had to sell my jetstream card when I decided to SLI. stupid 3 slot cooler)

·
Registered
5,382 Posts
Why not some 670 ftws? The one I just received goes to 1359 without a volt mod. Seeing as how close they are to 680s with costing less. If you must have 680s though, I would say go with the lightnings, never hear anything bad about em.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.