Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 650 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having the 1800X for a few days and frustrated by the lack of delivery of my ASUS CH6, I went to my local Microcenter which happened to get some stock of the MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon in. When I checked the website, there were 10+ in stock. By the time I got to the store, there appeared to only be 2 left so I grabbed one.

Components I have thus far:
1800X w/ Hyper 212X Turbo (waiting on a bracket for an H100i v2 which may be weeks out due to high demand so the cooler was a Microcenter grab along with the mobo).
MSI 370 Gaming Pro Carbon (obviously)
Samsung 960 EVO 250GB in M2_1 slot (had it laying around....no OS on it - I'm not to that point yet)
EVGA 750W G3 PSU
Zotac 610GT (just threw a single slot card in there for the time being as there is currently too much tinkering going on to drop in my hybrid 980Tis)
Gskill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-32GTZSW 16GBx2 CL14-14-14-34 1.35v

Threw everything together and it booted just fine on the first try. With everything on Auto, the system runs without issue. Booted a Fedora 25 LiveUSB and it all worked fine.

I've seen people asking in other threads about POST times so here has been my experience thus far. On a cold boot with stock settings:

The RAM LEDs come on as soon as the power is pressed and stay on indefinitely.
The CPU LED comes on as soon as the power is pressed and turns off after 5 seconds.
The DEBUG CPU LED comes on as soon as the power is pressed and turns off after 5 seconds.
The board vanity LEDs come on 12 seconds after power was pressed.
The DEBUG VGA LED comes on after 17 seconds and turns off at 22 seconds.
The DEBUG BOOT LED comes on at ~22 seconds and turns off at 23 seconds.
My monitor, connected via DVI, activates at 24 seconds and the system boots.

With the RAM clocked up to 2933, the boot times change a little:

Power on - CPU, RAM, DEBUG CPU and DEBUG RAM LED turn on.
16 seconds after power on, DEBUG CPU and DEBUG RAM LEDs turn off.
21 seconds after power on, the board vanity LEDs come on.
25 seconds after power on, the fans briefly spin up to high RPMs.
26 seconds after power on, the VGA and DEBUG VGA LEDs come on.
30 seconds after power on, the DEBUG VGA turns off, the monitor comes on, and the system boots.

Since I don't have my AIO connected, I haven't given OC'ing the CPU a shot yet but here is my experience with the RAM.

I cannot get the system to POST with the RAM at 3200 14-14-14-14-34 1.35v.
I can get the system to POST with RAM at 3200 26-26-26-26-48 1.36v (1.35v and it doesn't post, 1.36v and it did).
I haven't had a chance to play around with the system with RAM at 3200 yet and not sure I want to at that voltage.

The system seems much happier when the memory is set to 2933.
I am currently running loops of the Passmark memtest86 with the following settings:
2933, 17-14-14-14-34, 1.25v - this has been running for over an hour now without errors.

I've been tinkering with various timings and voltages for most of the evening.
2933, 17-12-12-12-33, 1.25v would POST but memtest showed errors very quickly.

Any tCL lower than [email protected] and I'm shorting the CMOS jumper to get the system back to a usable state.
 

·
⤷ αC
Joined
·
11,278 Posts
Any idea what is under the heatsinks? Trying to find out if MSI ripped their customers off by putting the same VRM on X370 Carbon as the Xpower
tongue.gif


If not, can you post a hwinfo64 image under full load with VRM temperature?

There's only one kit that supports 3200MHz right now as per the QVL:
https://msi.com/Motherboard/support/X370-GAMING-PRO-CARBON.html#support-mem
F4-3200C14D-16GFX
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll get Windows installed this evening after work and get you the hwinfo with prime95 running if that's useful.

The memory came off a Z270 ASUS Maximus IX Hero - aware it's not explicitly on QVL, just using a kit I know runs at what it is rated for elsewhere. Since I can't get it to run rated (yet) on the MSI board, I'm trying to get it to run as fast as it'll go with as tight timings and low voltage as possible. Hopefully it'll help someone else as a starting point until the quirks of this platform are worked out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
My experience is similar to yours. Made the 13 hour round trip to micro center in Kansas city saturday for a MSI Carbon Pro Mobo. Had everything ready for new build except the mobo so reserved the carbon pro on micro centers website, loaded up the dog and wife and we were on our way. Got the system put together last night, Booted up no issues. Didnt have time to mess with many settings and still have cable management/loop instillation left. I have a ch6 coming in today, but Im gonna sit that board to the side for now and just run the pro carbon because it doesnt seam to be having many issues unlike the ch6. My board it fully booting 10 seconds or less
thumb.gif
you on stock bios or have you updated it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am on the 1.00 BIOS the board came with, which is the same BIOS posted on the MSI support page for the board (English). I briefly looked through the MSI forums and didn't see any beta BIOS available for use. I'll look again this evening.

I have heard that some people have been having issues with NVMe drives like mine on these boards. Are you using SATA or NVMe? That may account for some of the difference. Times were done with a stopwatch from the moment I pressed the power button so your startup time @10 seconds from cold boot is definitely faster than mine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by msel View Post

I am on the 1.00 BIOS the board came with, which is the same BIOS posted on the MSI support page for the board (English). I briefly looked through the MSI forums and didn't see any beta BIOS available for use. I'll look again this evening.

I have heard that some people have been having issues with NVMe drives like mine on these boards. Are you using SATA or NVMe? That may account for some of the difference. Times were done with a stopwatch from the moment I pressed the power button so your startup time @10 seconds from cold boot is definitely faster than mine.
Oh Duh lol I saw the bios download on MSI's website and assumed it was new. Ill have to check when I get home from work, My time with the system was very minimal at the moment. I loaded win10 from usb onto my M.2 boot drive, didnt change any settings or anything. I didnt use a stopwatch but can try that, I just counted to 10 and was fully booted right before I got to 10 seconds. Was surprised how fast it booted after hearing a lot of boards having much slower boot times.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacobob89 View Post

Oh Duh lol I saw the bios download on MSI's website and assumed it was new. Ill have to check when I get home from work, My time with the system was very minimal at the moment. I loaded win10 from usb onto my M.2 boot drive, didnt change any settings or anything. I didnt use a stopwatch but can try that, I just counted to 10 and was fully booted right before I got to 10 seconds. Was surprised how fast it booted after hearing a lot of boards having much slower boot times.
I presume the RAM is at 2133? Curious if changing the RAM timings/speed adds to the additional boot times (if indeed it is additional system it was timed in the same manner). I'm still trying to hold out for the Gigabyte K7 but I get more impatient every day I look at the CPU sitting there begging for a motherboard to climb on to.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madweazl View Post

I presume the RAM is at 2133? Curious if changing the RAM timings/speed adds to the additional boot times (if indeed it is additional system it was timed in the same manner). I'm still trying to hold out for the Gigabyte K7 but I get more impatient every day I look at the CPU sitting there begging for a motherboard to climb on to.
Correct 2133, When I get home I will run some tests and see if this could be whats going on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
I just got done with almost the same build. I am having some of the same issues with the RAM. I cannot get it past 2133. CPUID and BIOS say its at 2666 but the command line check says 2133. I have not messed with the timings at all but they are slower than what the memory is capable of. I know just enough about overclocking to get myself into trouble so any info you guys might share would be extremely helpful.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here's a screenshot from hwinfo64 under prime95's max heat generation test. This thing sure does heat up, although part of the issue is that it's only under a CM Hyper 212X (which is performing admirably, all things considered).

There's also this bit from AMD about temps which I found interesting: https://community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2017/03/13/amd-ryzen-community-update Take your CPU temp and subtract 20C? I can live with that.
 

·
OG AMD
Joined
·
9,036 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by msel View Post

Here's a screenshot from hwinfo64 under prime95's max heat generation test. This thing sure does heat up, although part of the issue is that it's only under a CM Hyper 212X (which is performing admirably, all things considered).

There's also this bit from AMD about temps which I found interesting: https://community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2017/03/13/amd-ryzen-community-update Take your CPU temp and subtract 20C? I can live with that.
Amazing. Up to 1.48 vcore with 8 cores and only 110w at max on a Hyper212.
thumb.gif
 

·
⤷ αC
Joined
·
11,278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by msel View Post

Here's a screenshot from hwinfo64 under prime95's max heat generation test. This thing sure does heat up, although part of the issue is that it's only under a CM Hyper 212X (which is performing admirably, all things considered).

There's also this bit from AMD about temps which I found interesting: https://community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2017/03/13/amd-ryzen-community-update Take your CPU temp and subtract 20C? I can live with that.
Seems decent but you're missing the part of the hwinfo64 screen that tells you what the power (wattage) and current (amperage ) being put into the VRM is and what is coming out of it. Also what is the VID?

It should read under the section after the SuperIO chip:
VR T1 ---> VRM temperature 1
VR T2 ---> VRM temperature 2
VR VOut (CPU Vcore) ---> Voltage applied to CPU
VR Vin (ATX +12V) ---> should be +12V or close to it, if not your PSU or motherboard is no good
Current (Iout) ---> Current supplied to CPU
Current (IIn) ----> Current supplied to VRM
Power (Pout) ----> Power for CPU
Power (Input) ----> Power used by VRM
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've been looking through the interface for the values you're after and I don't see a way to enable them.

Here's a screen of all the values that exist:

I'm using build 5.46-3100.
 

·
GPU Enthusiast
Joined
·
2,568 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SliceTbone View Post

Ey guys, which one should I get, this one or Taichi.
Any opinions ?
thumb.gif
Taichi, no argument to be made otherwise.
 

·
⤷ αC
Joined
·
11,278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by msel View Post

I've been looking through the interface for the values you're after and I don't see a way to enable them.

Here's a screen of all the values that exist:

I'm using build 5.46-3100.
I guess it doesn't have a VRM section that has temperature monitoring , thanks for trying
thumb.gif


It seems your CPU package power is off though
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaC View Post

I guess it doesn't have a VRM section that has temperature monitoring , thanks for trying
thumb.gif


It seems your CPU package power is off though
Ah, my apologies. That last screenshot was of the system at idle (more or less). Under full load, it was around 117 or so.

Unrelated, if I bump the NB voltage to 1.0875, I'm able to boot my 2x16GB @3200 26-26-26-26-48 1.35v and it passes memtest86 with flying colors...but, as soon as I reboot, it gives me the "Go into BIOS and fix your brokenness" splash screen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
I got a set of F4-3200C16D-16GTZB , Microcenter didn't have them listed online but they had it in stores, odd...

I was able to get it to 2933 16-18-18-18-38 @ 1.35. I stayed up quite late messing around with it. I'll test more settings when I put it in its case.

I switched to this board after my CH6 kept getting delayed. I prefer no LEDs and I wish this board saved its settings without the "Gaming App".My 970A Pro Gaming Carbon does so.
 
1 - 20 of 650 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top