Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sooooo since I didn't see a thread of the MSI X399 board up yet and i'm having some issues, here I am, hoping other people have some solutions.

So MSI UEFI has fairly limited options. Where can I set UMA vs NUMA mode?

Also is anyone else getting C0 POST code on doing a warm restart? Power cycle or reset button bypasses C0 POST code.
I also get D4 POST code when using my M.2 Samsung 950 Pro SSD. The SSD is not broken as I can use it in another computer just fine, data all there and is fine.

·
Premium Member
13,266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssateneth View Post

Sooooo since I didn't see a thread of the MSI X399 board up yet and i'm having some issues, here I am, hoping other people have some solutions.

So MSI UEFI has fairly limited options. Where can I set UMA vs NUMA mode?

Also is anyone else getting C0 POST code on doing a warm restart? Power cycle or reset button bypasses C0 POST code.
I also get D4 POST code when using my M.2 Samsung 950 Pro SSD. The SSD is not broken as I can use it in another computer just fine, data all there and is fine.
UMA and NUMA are through the Ryzen Master application, they aren't in a BIOS.

Also, you should update your UEFI for the drive thing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey!

The UMA and NUMA setting is under DRAM settings. I don't rememer exactly the names and where but something like this:

-> Advanced Memory Settings -> Misc. Settings -> Memory Interleaving -> Channel

Channel means NUMA (or Local in Ryzen Master).

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I fixed the C0 issue by reseating the CPU. I fixed the D4 issue by enabling Windows 10 WHQL Support, so all is well for now. I just wish I could do more than 3066MHz RAM.

·
Premium Member
13,266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVH2015 View Post

Hey!

The UMA and NUMA setting is under DRAM settings. I don't rememer exactly the names and where but something like this:

-> Advanced Memory Settings -> Misc. Settings -> Memory Interleaving -> Channel

Channel means NUMA (or Local in Ryzen Master).
Ah okay, i just tell people to look in the application b/c it's a lot easier to find.

·
Registered
397 Posts
The BIOS UI on this motherboard is absolute trash IMO. A very big part of me wishes that these companies would hire consultants to design better UIs. I have designed some pretty amazing stuff in the past (though not for a BIOS/UEFI). I am also not even a designer, I'm a developer.

At any rate, I just upgraded to the 1.5 BIOS. I had some stability issues under the 1.4x beta versions. Is anyone running 128 GB on this board at DDR4 3200 or higher? If so what is your kit and have you stress tested it? I went with 32GB for now until the RAM situation improves.

·
Abides
158 Posts
Does pressure on the OC1 "Game Boost knob" in the corner of the Gaming Pro Carbon x399 board activate the OC, or does the knob require rotation only? My graphics card water block presses heavily on the knob when the PCIe card is clipped into the retention bracket.

I'm checking the clearance of the GPU waterblock against all those connectors along that edge of the board before I decide to keep and install this motherboard. (Thank you Frys 30-day money back guarantee.) The MSI x399 appeared to have the most clearance when I eyeballed motherboards in the store, but the knob definitely is a concern.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I've been testing the channel memory interleaving,
below the results seen with ryzen master after applying the bios setting:

channel -> local
die -> distributed
socket -> distributed

·
Registered
7 Posts
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C14D-16GVK will give you solid 3200 without a problem. I am not OC'n at all the CPU (HW knob 0) and using XMP profile 2. Hope this might help... Also my MSI got a bios update this week its now 1.60 (upgrade from 1.50) but I was running 3200 before also.

One big thing I find fault in the TR and x399/RAM right now is a very insane high is Bank Cycle Time (tRC) which is 75 clocks. Normally this is only somewhat above Cycle Time (tRAS) + RAS Precharge (tRP) from what Ive researched... soon as I figure how to unlock all timings (real annoying so far on the MSI) Im going to work on that as Passmark gives a horrid latency rating.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Can someone help me out with something?

Set your fan profiles in BIOS to:

50C/25%
55C/50%
60C/75%
65C/100%

Then boot into Windows and run something like Prime95 small to heat up the CPU...and let me know if the fans work for you. The only thing that works for me is setting a manual speed.

·
Registered
397 Posts
The latest BIOS fixes a ton of issues, though I still suspect that some options quite simply don't work. Also, sometimes if an overclock fails with Ryzen master, you'll get a C0 or 0C error (can't remember which) until a BIOS reset. However, I am pretty impressed that they have taken the time to improve things, hopefully they continue to do so. Still probably won't buy MSI next time though. I should not have had to wait 4-5 months for a halfway proper BIOS.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yeah well its now a year later and think 6 bios updates and this motherboard is far from a 'gamer board' still... my biggest disappointment is how locked down the bios still is... if you havent bought one. honestly dont... and if you do make sure you not using gskill ram because something with JEDEC and the chip size and layout makes latency horrid on this MB. like tRFC being set to 540 compared to 413 with corsairs. Also tRC is set to 75 and even xmp profiles says put it at 48-52 (depending on the speed). I wish someone would crack the bios open and unlock the thing tbh...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yeah well its now a year later and think 6 bios updates and this motherboard is far from a 'gamer board' still... my biggest disappointment is how locked down the bios still is... if you havent bought one. honestly dont... and if you do make sure you not using gskill ram because something with JEDEC and the chip size and layout makes latency horrid on this MB. like tRFC being set to 540 compared to 413 with corsairs. Also tRC is set to 75 and even xmp profiles says put it at 48-52 (depending on the speed). I wish someone would crack the bios open and unlock the thing tbh...
Gskill 3200 cl14 has a high tRFC on any board when you load XMP profile, it has nothing to do with this board.
But why is it so difficult to manually change those things?

I have this board and it is really solid, the only "problem" is that you need to have a dedicated vent blowing over VRMs if you plan to overclock and do stuff like rendering when CPU is at 100% for longer periods of time..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Gskill 3200 cl14 has a high tRFC on any board when you load XMP profile, it has nothing to do with this board.
But why is it so difficult to manually change those things?

I have this board and it is really solid, the only "problem" is that you need to have a dedicated vent blowing over VRMs if you plan to overclock and do stuff like rendering when CPU is at 100% for longer periods of time..
thats the problem it 'shouldnt' there is no reason for it and no XMP profile defines tRC as 48 and sets that to 75 and JEDEC is telling MSI to set tRFC to 560. and its a known bug still never addressed.

Quote from: https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3333-memory-timings-defined-cas-latency-trcd-trp-tras
" Real-World Impact of Lower Level Memory Timings
Different kits have different JEDEC standards, so different subtimings get loaded. This is an issue we’ve run into before: we had two kits identical in frequency and capacity, but with different latencies; however, the 16-18-18-36 Corsair kit somehow outperformed the 14-14-14-34 G.SKILL kit in tests. After discussing this with both manufacturers, it turned out that Corsair’s sticks were dual-sided with groups of 512MBx8 ICs (memory chips), while G.SKILL’s were single-sided with groups of 1GBx8 ICs.
512MBx8 is an older style, so it actually has tighter subtimings defined by JEDEC (see “What Are Timings?”). The biggest culprit in this case was tRFC, or Refresh Cycle Time. We’ll cover the full definition of this in part 2, but for now the important thing is that the value set by JEDEC for Corsair’s type of kit was 416 and 560 for G.SKILL’s. When we adjusted the G.SKILL kit’s tRFC value down to match Corsair’s with no other adjustments, it pulled ahead in performance and remained stable."

I can set tRC to 48 and keep it on 3200 @ 14-14-14-34 but you cant touch tRFC (which i wish they explained how or what mb because honestly I want to dump this one)
mine runs like a beast... I run 4ghz 24/7 other then that I really dont OC much. I have tested these timings even on stock settings no XMP 1 or 2, no OC at all 2133 up to 2667 and they always setting latency high. now from what I can read anywhere about this this shouldnt be happening at lower/stock/non-OC speeds the latency should be backing off but it dont...

my biggest beef and this is honestly with the whole TR/Ryzen vs Intel thing... is there really memory sticks designed for only intel or amd or is this a total lie? I mean I look up benchmarks @ passmark sorted by cpu and why is it all the lowest latency chipsets are listed as intel only? (to clarify this is on AMD ryzen benchamrks so people got intel ram listed there running on ryzen)or is this false reporting I seen kingstons down around 52 for latency which is like a 50+% cut over what Im at now... I mean Im sorry but the bottom 10% in the world for ram latency is puke level sickening.

If anyone wants to suggest a good motherboard for the x399 that isnt nerfed and locked down like MSI please refer me to a board thanks. more I talk about it the more sick I get over this... Im not even bringing up how msi and their HDA drivers for this board are broken AF also... ask anyone who does dolby digital live encoding

·
Registered
52 Posts
thats the problem it 'shouldnt' there is no reason for it and no XMP profile defines tRC as 48 and sets that to 75 and JEDEC is telling MSI to set tRFC to 560. and its a known bug still never addressed.

Quote from: https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3333-memory-timings-defined-cas-latency-trcd-trp-tras
" Real-World Impact of Lower Level Memory Timings
Different kits have different JEDEC standards, so different subtimings get loaded. This is an issue we’ve run into before: we had two kits identical in frequency and capacity, but with different latencies; however, the 16-18-18-36 Corsair kit somehow outperformed the 14-14-14-34 G.SKILL kit in tests. After discussing this with both manufacturers, it turned out that Corsair’s sticks were dual-sided with groups of 512MBx8 ICs (memory chips), while G.SKILL’s were single-sided with groups of 1GBx8 ICs.
512MBx8 is an older style, so it actually has tighter subtimings defined by JEDEC (see “What Are Timings?”). The biggest culprit in this case was tRFC, or Refresh Cycle Time. We’ll cover the full definition of this in part 2, but for now the important thing is that the value set by JEDEC for Corsair’s type of kit was 416 and 560 for G.SKILL’s. When we adjusted the G.SKILL kit’s tRFC value down to match Corsair’s with no other adjustments, it pulled ahead in performance and remained stable."

I can set tRC to 48 and keep it on 3200 @ 14-14-14-34 but you cant touch tRFC (which i wish they explained how or what mb because honestly I want to dump this one)
mine runs like a beast... I run 4ghz 24/7 other then that I really dont OC much. I have tested these timings even on stock settings no XMP 1 or 2, no OC at all 2133 up to 2667 and they always setting latency high. now from what I can read anywhere about this this shouldnt be happening at lower/stock/non-OC speeds the latency should be backing off but it dont...

my biggest beef and this is honestly with the whole TR/Ryzen vs Intel thing... is there really memory sticks designed for only intel or amd or is this a total lie? I mean I look up benchmarks @ passmark sorted by cpu and why is it all the lowest latency chipsets are listed as intel only? (to clarify this is on AMD ryzen benchamrks so people got intel ram listed there running on ryzen)or is this false reporting I seen kingstons down around 52 for latency which is like a 50+% cut over what Im at now... I mean Im sorry but the bottom 10% in the world for ram latency is puke level sickening.

If anyone wants to suggest a good motherboard for the x399 that isnt nerfed and locked down like MSI please refer me to a board thanks. more I talk about it the more sick I get over this... Im not even bringing up how msi and their HDA drivers for this board are broken AF also... ask anyone who does dolby digital live encoding
Still don't understand the point of your post, I can set trfc manually, auto is the same as on intel mobos. What is locked down on X399 Carbon?

Check out what latency I get with this motherboard, NUMA mode of course.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Still don't understand the point of your post, I can set trfc manually, auto is the same as on intel mobos. What is locked down on X399 Carbon?

Check out what latency I get with this motherboard, NUMA mode of course.

Ummm everything? there is no manual ram timing at all other then setting what XMP sets or using 'try it now' or Ryzen Master. R.M, also added ability to change a few subtimings but they dont even name them the same... tRC is in there but tRFC absolutely isnt changeable other then changing the speed of the ram.) This is the sad picture I see on my end.... and you cant turn 'auto' off on any subtimings. basically I have XMP 1 or 2, then a list of 'try it now timings' at predefined speeds and clocks there is no 'manual timing' at all on the MSI x399 or not at least on my board and Im on what I think BIOS update 5 or 6 now? Again if someone suggests something I will happily order a new mb its that or I can just throw this rig into the corner pull the 2080 out of it and build an intel rig and leave this for NDI processing/streaming and as a server host. (maybe some mining but highly unlikely)
top image is using XMP 2 profile @ 3200. the passmark benchmark on this is using XMP 1 which is 2933 currently (XMP 2 @ 3200 isnt much better either)

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Ummm everything? there is no manual ram timing at all other then setting what XMP sets or using 'try it now' or Ryzen Master. R.M, also added ability to change a few subtimings but they dont even name them the same... tRC is in there but tRFC absolutely isnt changeable other then changing the speed of the ram.) This is the sad picture I see on my end.... and you cant turn 'auto' off on any subtimings. basically I have XMP 1 or 2, then a list of 'try it now timings' at predefined speeds and clocks there is no 'manual timing' at all on the MSI x399 or not at least on my board and Im on what I think BIOS update 5 or 6 now? Again if someone suggests something I will happily order a new mb its that or I can just throw this rig into the corner pull the 2080 out of it and build an intel rig and leave this for NDI processing/streaming and as a server host. (maybe some mining but highly unlikely)
top image is using XMP 2 profile @ 3200. the passmark benchmark on this is using XMP 1 which is 2933 currently (XMP 2 @ 3200 isnt much better either)
I can change trfc and all the subtimings.
When you want to change a timing from Auto to something else, there is no drop down menu, you just enter the values via keyboard... Everything is adjustable..

·
Registered
7 Posts
derp...

I can change trfc and all the subtimings.
When you want to change a timing from Auto to something else, there is no drop down menu, you just enter the values via keyboard... Everything is adjustable..
Im just $%^& speechless at this point... I swear I have tried it could it be 'try it now' locks down values?
ofc just ignoring the common sense from a end user standpoint you'd think clicking on a changeable field would indicate this field can be edited visually somehow lol..

thanks for putting up with my rage (msi is just really on my S list still dealing with high definition audio issues and dolby digital live encoding)

addon: dropped tRFC down to 414 to match corsairs, score increase 9% and lowered latency 11% TY! * bows to the worthy ^_^ * its still not great but gonna run a burnin test for stability after I crash for the night then start mathin it out see how far down I can get been looking at a Ryzen Timings Calculator someone has created.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts