Overclock.net banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

Wondered if I could get your help and opinion in regards to my question. I've transplanted my ATX components into an ITX where previously I OCed the 10700k on a Z490 Tomahawk to 5.0ghz. On the z490i I've only enabled XMP and wanted to test to see if I get different performance in gaming by letting the motherboard OC itself so to speak.

Although I'm quite happy with the performance and thermals, along with the handsfree approach, I'm wondering if the voltage up to 1.334v is something which I should tune down. I've posted some screenshots from my BIOS below together with some HWMonitor temps and voltage.

Is there anything you would change in BIOS in terms of settings? Or should I manually tinker with it? More than open to suggestions and help.

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
I would highly recommend tuning the voltage manually with an all-core overclock. Compared to my Asus board, my Z490 Unify ran the voltages higher than necessary when set to Auto. Next, raise the ring clock until it crashes, then lower 100-200mhz.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would highly recommend tuning the voltage manually with an all-core overclock. Compared to my Asus board, my Z490 Unify ran the voltages higher than necessary when set to Auto. Next, raise the ring clock until it crashes, then lower 100-200mhz.
Do you think my voltage is higher than it should be? Or my SO and IO voltage?

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Do you think my voltage is higher than it should be? Or my SO and IO voltage?
The Unify doesn’t report accurate vcore in HWINFO. What did you set the core voltage in the bios? Which load line setting are you using? I’d suggest setting the core voltage to 1.39 with auto load line calibration. Then find the highest all core multiplier setting that is stable at that voltage. For IO and SA, set your memory OC with an IO of 1.35 and SA of 1.45. Then lower each until unstable.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Unify doesn’t report accurate vcore in HWINFO. What did you set the core voltage in the bios? Which load line setting are you using? I’d suggest setting the core voltage to 1.39 with auto load line calibration. Then find the highest all core multiplier setting that is stable at that voltage. For IO and SA, set your memory OC with an IO of 1.35 and SA of 1.45. Then lower each until unstable.
All the settings are shown in my original post, I've posted screenshots from BIOS. Are you able to see them?

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
All the settings are shown in my original post, I've posted screenshots from BIOS. Are you able to see them?
Everything is set to Auto in the bios. You didn't change anything.

·
Old and Decrepit
2,378 Posts
Take control. Set Vcore manually and desired clock all cores. The VID table on the 10 series is over the top. My 10980XE left in auto shot up to 1.414 and I about crapped my pants. I can get it to 5.1 at 1.360Vcore but running that 24x7 is too warm for my tastes. Tune it back to 1.245 and 4.8 all cores and it runs great but hottest cores get well into the 80s with an AVX workload. Pulled it back to 4.7 and 1.185 amd it’s stable and stays in the 70s with not much of a performance hit from 4.8 so that’s where it lives.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you both for your help.

I've managed to get a stable OC with the following settings (below). This is with 30min of Prime95 and 2 x Time Spy runs.

CPU Core Voltage: 1.27v
CPU SA Voltage: 1.15v
CPU IO Voltage: 1.0v

Let me know your thoughts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts