Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Banned
8,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:

Fixing the world's largest atom smasher will cost at least $21 millionand may take until early summer, its operator said Monday.

An electrical failure shut down the Large Hadron Collider on Sept. 19, nine days after the $10 billion machine started up with great fanfare.

Quote:

The organization has blamed the shutdown on the failure of a single, badly soldered electrical connection.

Link

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
1 bad connection cost them $21 milion

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheEddie View Post
Am I missing something here... since when does a single solder job cost $21 Mil?
Um... Because it caused damage to other parts of it..

·
AS 396507
1,565 Posts
Quote:

Am I missing something here... since when does a single solder job cost $21 Mil?
it was the reacton of the error that costs so much to repair.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
1 bad connection cost them $12 milion

Because of this connection, a transformer has overheated. And also liquid helium has leaked because of the failure causing the magnets not to be cooled to super-conduction temperature.
I'm not sure about all this, but I think this link has the info.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7626944.stm

Quote:
Page last updated at 11:55 GMT, Saturday, 20 September 2008 12:55 UK

Quote:
On Friday, a failure, known as a quench, caused around 100 of the LHC's super-cooled magnets to heat up by as much as 100 degrees.

The fire brigade were called out after a tonne of liquid helium leaked into the tunnel at Cern, near Geneva.

Quote:
He said: "A full investigation is still under way but the most likely cause seems to be a faulty electrical connection between two of the magnets which probably melted, leading to a mechanical failure.

·
Stonking huge cases!
1,232 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by madroxinide View Post
Imagine how funny you would talk if you were in that tunnel when it started leaking.
EPIC LOL!

that'd be awesomely funny if you didnt die

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by madroxinide View Post
Imagine how funny you would talk if you were in that tunnel when it started leaking.
I don't want to be there when it leaked, because it's temperature is close to absolute null, when it vapors, it will spray out with temps like -160C, which will freeze you, and make you snowman.

• Rep+
Reactions: SiXiam

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by metala View Post
I don't want to be there when it leaked, because it's temperature is close to absolute null, when it vapors, it will spray out with temps like -160C, which will freeze you, and make you snowman.
id say that'd be pretty funny /sarcasm

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
Quote:

easy when it takes other things when it blows/shorts or whatnot.

if that one joint broke and then due to that join blowing caused critical systems to fail and then with those systems failing caused massive damage to the system can you see how a small little soldier join would cause issues?

·
Z-80 > i9
17,244 Posts
Wow, did nVidia design that connection?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brutuz View Post

I gotta give it to you, that was a nice one!

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brutuz View Post

Lol, you beat me to it, first thing I thought.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Quote:

Since they started soldering together incredibly complex machinery. You know how much manpower it takes to even diagnose that? I don't think people really get how BIG the LHC is.

·
Fettered Firewall
2,491 Posts
What about backup fail safe systems? I mean, your spending THAT much why not build some redundancy into the entire circuitry?

That's just poor, poor design IMO and yes while it's a HUGE project you would have thought someone would have brought this point up over the table. I'm sure some low level maggot did and his superiors thought they were better and stifled his opinion.

Bet he/she's smiling now..

1 - 20 of 44 Posts