Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never had an Intel system due to cost and I want to make the transition at the end of May. Just to give you an example of my CPU history; Phenom X4 9500, AMD Phenom II X4 920, AMD FX-8320. Never heavy hitters in any sense save power consumption
biggrin.gif
. However they have done their job amicably.

The big decision is i7-4790k or i7-(Broadwell-E). I say pro Devil's Canyon because of high clock speed, cost of platform, I can reuse my RAM and upcoming variables like Zen or Kaby-Lake/Skylake-E make buying into a expensive X99 platform a bit of a bother. Plus I also want to dabble in Hackintosh, which is tougher to run on the X99 platform although not impossible.

I say Pro Broadwell-E because I use Photoshop, Illustrator, DAW and 3D Modeling Applications. As you know they will benefit from the extra cores. I will also get access to Quad-channel DDR4 which is another boon for productivity.

I say all this because it really is hard to make the decision with a possible 16 core consumer Zen on the horizon which would blow all of Intel's current HEDT away (In productivity applications) and most likely at a similar price.

I am leaning towards i7-4790k because I will get a huge boost in all around performance for not much money, I will be selling all old parts making this upgrade cost relatively nothing. However maybe X99 has some tricks I am not aware of so I'd like the community's opinion.

Thanks!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ohhhh trust me I checked these Xeon's out and while absolutely AMAZING cost per performance, I forgot to mention I do play games as well. (If only Intel allowed OCs on Xeons). If they can be OC'd please let me know

·
IT EXPERT
81 Posts
recently upgraded from my AMD FX6300 @4.5ghz cpu to

I7 [email protected] and I had the same idea as yours.

I did not want to buy new ram or gpu since I game at only 1080p and do basic Photo/Video editing - 3dmax rendering.

I just bought I7 4790k with MSI z97a Gaming 7 Board and switched my fx6300 with MSI Gaming 970.

Here is 3d Mark Compared to my old system

and

Here is Cinebench if you want to compare to your FX

The Scores are

1.I7 With 4.7Ghz Core - 4.3ghz Cache
2.I7 With 4.7Ghz Core - 4Ghz Cache
3.Stock I7

The only downside is Intel Heat A lot more than my fx6300 but thx to my Silverstone Tundra TD02-e I can keep it full load max heal under 90c

good luck

I hope I could help.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright, I think I'm gonna lean towards the i7-4790k and if I sell my my old motherboards and the FX chip the Intel chip and mobo should only cost me ~$150.

Thanks guys for your help and I wish I had the space (and energy) for a render box cause that's where those Dual Xeons would go.

thumb.gif
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiGuns View Post

Alright, I think I'm gonna lean towards the i7-4790k and if I sell my my old motherboards and the FX chip the Intel chip and mobo should only cost me ~$150.

Thanks guys for your help and I wish I had the space (and energy) for a render box cause that's where those Dual Xeons would go.

thumb.gif
biggrin.gif
4790k is a good choice even though it's an older CPU to be honest. You won't really be disappointed.

·
New to OCN?
26,919 Posts
Quote:

Ohhhh trust me I checked these Xeon's out and while absolutely AMAZING cost per performance, I forgot to mention I do play games as well. (If only Intel allowed OCs on Xeons). If they can be OC'd please let me know
1680 v2, 1660 v3, or 2p x5660

but Broadwell E should have a single 10 core OC able CPU

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacGTX View Post

1680 v2, 1660 v3, or 2p x5660

but Broadwell E should have a single 10 core OC able CPU
Yes, I would recommend Broadwell E 6950x as well. I am waiting for that currently myself.

·
Registered
113 Posts
DDR4 is dirty cheap nowadays (around $60 for 16GB), go for skylake or later gen for sure. Also skylake removed internal voltage regulator which reduced lots of heat from the tiny die and generally gives better(although not too much) oc than haswell.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Quote:

thumb.gif
biggrin.gif
IMHO, not worth the cost of the upgrade. a high clocked FX 8 can get close to an oc'd 4770k/4790k

@ ~~5ghz fx8 scores in the mid 800's

upgrading RIGHT NOW is kinda silly, BW-e hasn't dropped, Zen hasn't dropped.

so you are paying to upgrade to another dead socket.

the only reasonable upgrade right now is something on X99 that you can flip for a bw-e in 6 months or so.

as for hackintoshing, its more bother than its worth TBH, get a big x99 chip and virtualize it will win every-time.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Uhh, upgrading now is fine if you're going Intel. Intel holds value so he could always sell and buy again in the near future.

Is Cinebench supposed to mean general performance is similar? Cause it's not.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsemama1956 View Post

Uhh, upgrading now is fine if you're going Intel. Intel holds value so he could always sell and buy again in the near future.

Is Cinebench supposed to mean general performance is similar? Cause it's not.
if your focus is purely gaming, than sure, on average, ya a 22nm i7 will out perform a Fx8. not in everything.

when it comes to actual work, the distances between the two shorten and the lines get blurry.

optimized vs optimized. Oc'd to stock obviously the amd at stock will be well under what the 22nm can do.

Fx-8's get close enough to make a 150$ upgrade to another dead socket silly, the difference is under 10% with all things considered.

if single thread is all you care about then by all means AMD isn't the wises option.

as for holding value.. these fx-8 chips will hold their value if you doubt that go see what you have to pay for a 1090t.

so he will get back what he put in, there is no actual loss either way. but now you've got to account for another board switch and the whole point of an upgrade with such a minor benifet jsut do replace everything again in less than a year.

just go with the current HEDT option that allows an upgrade path. X99.

but hey, if you've got more money than you know what to do with more power to you.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
But X99 will no longer have releases after BW-E, so after June isn't it a dead platform as well? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The 4790k just makes sense because I get a small bump in multimedia performance and a huge bump in gaming performance all for not much more compared to sinking in X99. (CPU, MoBo, RAM) compared to (CPU, Mobo)

I have a two Microcenter's near me as I live in NYC.

I have a nagging suspicion that right after Zen's launch an FX-XXXX piece will drop in resell price after they get discontinued by AMD. Unless there is some secret AMD collector's market that I'm not aware of.

AMD's 1090t retailed at $295 and the current ebay bids leave it at ~$80-100. Granted it's 5 days away from it's 5th year anniversary and it's still worth something but at it's current selling price that's not holding value.

·
IT EXPERT
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlailScHLAMP View Post

IMHO, not worth the cost of the upgrade. a high clocked FX 8 can get close to an oc'd 4770k/4790k

@ ~~5ghz fx8 scores in the mid 800's

upgrading RIGHT NOW is kinda silly, BW-e hasn't dropped, Zen hasn't dropped.

so you are paying to upgrade to another dead socket.

the only reasonable upgrade right now is something on X99 that you can flip for a bw-e in 6 months or so.

as for hackintoshing, its more bother than its worth TBH, get a big x99 chip and virtualize it will win every-time.
Good Reasoning but here is real Math

FX8370e (Real 8 Core) to be clocked 4.8Ghz with 2400mhz ram needs a good cooling and some expensive board and is a dead socket gets Cinebench r15 773 Points.

I7 4790k (Real 4 Core - 8 Threat) to be clocked to 4.7Ghz with 1866mhz Can be done with any z97 board with decent cooling still considered dead socket gets Cinebench R15 945 Points.
Event Stock I7 4790k is 847 Points. and this is just multicore in single core the difference will be greater.

so if he can get rid of old board and cpu and go get new z97 board with and i7 by paying 200-300$ extra it can be worth the change.

He can wait the new zen or broadwell-e but these will be even more expense to him because they will be new and will not be stable for at least a year.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts