Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With Pascal just around the corner, I've started drafting plans for an octo or deca-card farm. Originally, I was going to purchase one of maybe two available consumer mobos with support for 8 cards, but then I learned about backplanes. Took me a while to figure out that backplanes require a host board, and these can get ridiculously expensive. So I'm back to the drawing board on this.

Not too long ago, I remembered that I read an article a few years back about nVidia having some sort of an external GPU device. Trying to look up some sort of information on external GPUs, I came across this image:

external-video-card-dock-diy.jpg

That's USB, isn't it? According to the image URL, it's a video card dock. Does anyone have more information on this?

1: Can I grab a bunch of meter long USB cables and stick as many cards on them as USB specs would allow (theoretically speaking. I'd rather not induce fusion in my home)?
2: I know there would be latency issues, but for farming purposes, what kind of performance limitations would there be, if any?
3: Any other limitations or noticeable differences to one's computing usage/experience?
4: Any better way to increase GPU capacity in a system?

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
My father found something on this last year and sent me the contents of the article in an email. Unfortunately I don't have a link to the actual article itself, but I did go ahead and print it to PDF. Here ya go!

That is likely a thunderbolt connector.

externalvideocard.pdf 853k .pdf file

Attachments

·
Banned
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardontheJob View Post

My father found something on this last year and sent me the contents of the article in an email. Unfortunately I don't have a link to the actual article itself, but I did go ahead and print it to PDF. Here ya go!

That is likely a thunderbolt connector.

externalvideocard.pdf 853k .pdf file
Interesting read. Some follow up questions:

1: Does each card have to be connected to a monitor to function? Or is this just a limitation of certain cards which require a dummy plug? If the former, would dummy plugs be a workaround?
2: Can this be done with desktop computers?

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiigaran View Post

Interesting read. Some follow up questions:
I'd like to be more help, but like I was saying, all I got from my father was the contents of the article emailed to me. I haven't done any experimenting with this, but planned to in the future, it's why I kept the email he sent. So right now, you know literally as much as I. Probably more cause I didn't completely read the entire article lol!
biggrin.gif

1 - 7 of 7 Posts