Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Audiofool
Joined
·
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new 1080p monitor came in today and I decided to use both my new and my old monitors. Not wanting the old monitor to take performance away from the new big one, I stuck my old 4650 into my second PCI-e slot specifically to drive my old monitor.

The issue I'm having is that when running an GPU intensive task on my second monitor (powered by the 4650) a load is still put on my 5770. For instance, running the iTunes visualizer on my old monitor puts around a 25% load on the 4650 and a 15% load on the 5770. Shouldn't everything running on the second monitor only use the 4650?

Currently running Catalyst 10.3a drivers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,079 Posts
Crossfire doesn't work that way. It is meant to share work as equally as it can. I'm an SLI guy myself, but I'm pretty sure this is the case. Picture your GPU's as one unit. I'd also hazard a guess that the 4650 has a higher load, because 25% of that is closer to 15% of your 5 series.
 

·
Audiofool
Joined
·
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:


Originally Posted by nseaton1
View Post

Crossfire doesn't work that way. It is meant to share work as equally as it can. I'm an SLI guy myself, but I'm pretty sure this is the case. Picture your GPU's as one unit. I'd also hazard a guess that the 4650 has a higher load, because 25% of that is closer to 15% of your 5 series.

This isn't crossfire. This is two completely separate cards running a single monitor each.
 

·
939 veteran & 1155 fanboy
Joined
·
8,148 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by CJRhoades
View Post

This isn't crossfire. This is two completely separate cards running a single monitor each.

Check to make sure its not in crossfire(x). It may have automatically enabled it or something.

Quote:


Originally Posted by mmparkskier
View Post

Wow, I'm surprised you can run two monitors on two cards. I didn't know it was possible; perhaps I'm behind the times.

Sorry, I can't offer any words of advice, perhaps try google?


Yep, its been like that for a long time. I don't think all motherboards will do AGP and PCI video out though. Maybe none do/did. PCI and PCI-e should work though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,249 Posts
Hmm, just tried putting a video on my HDTV which is being powered by the 8600GTS nad my 5850 stays a 0% so I dunno what to tell you.
 

·
Audiofool
Joined
·
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:


Originally Posted by nategr8ns
View Post

Check to make sure its not in crossfire(x). It may have automatically enabled it or something.

Yep, its been like that for a long time. I don't think all motherboards will do AGP and PCI video out though. Maybe none do/did. PCI and PCI-e should work though.

They can't possibly be in crossfire. They're completely different generations of cards.

EDIT: Is it possible that I need to reinstall drivers? I just installed the second card and figured I didn't need different drivers for it because catalyst 10.3 is already installed.
 

·
Audiofool
Joined
·
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bump

I also have some other questions. Any time I apply a new wallpaper, it automatically applies the same one to both monitors. How can I change them separately?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,249 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by CJRhoades
View Post

Bump

I also have some other questions. Any time I apply a new wallpaper, it automatically applies the same one to both monitors. How can I change them separately?

AFAIK you can't. Not without Ultramon.
 

·
Audiofool
Joined
·
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:


Originally Posted by Chranny
View Post

AFAIK you can't. Not without Ultramon.

I'm guessing that's a 3rd party app for managing multiple monitors? Is it compatible with Windows 7?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,249 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by CJRhoades
View Post

I'm guessing that's a 3rd party app for managing multiple monitors? Is it compatible with Windows 7?

Yeah it's compatible with Win 7, only negative is it costs. There's a trial I think though so you see if you like it before buying.
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: CJRhoades

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,113 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by CJRhoades
View Post

I'm guessing that's a 3rd party app for managing multiple monitors? Is it compatible with Windows 7?

Yup, I've been using it for a month now because the resolutions of my two monitor are different so everything looked weird on my second monitor. It also adds a taskbar at the bottom of the second monitor and many other features you might find useful.
 

·
Audiofool
Joined
·
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:


Originally Posted by Chranny
View Post

Yeah it's compatible with Win 7, only negative is it costs. There's a trial I think though so you see if you like it before buying.

I'm not really surprised that it does. I'll look into it. +rep

Anyway, I think reinstalling catalyst 10.3a fixed the earlier issue. Running GPU intensive tasks on the second monitor no longer causes GPU usage on both cards.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,935 Posts
nope because just in case u drag your program over to the other monitor, it needs to know what is going to be there

(talkin like i know something; good luck!)
 

·
Audiofool
Joined
·
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:


Originally Posted by getbigtony
View Post

nope because just in case u drag your program over to the other monitor, it needs to know what is going to be there

(talkin like i know something; good luck!)

What? Could you please try that again, this time with sentences? And maybe quote the question you're answering so I know what you're talking about.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
718 Posts
I'm sorry, I don't mean to thread jack, but I don't think this question is worth its own thread.

With two graphics cards, are you able to run 4 monitors? CJRhoades, you say 1 on each card - can you do 2 on each?

If so, why would people spend so much on the Quatro cards from Nvidia? If not, oh well.

On topic: That's sweet that a driver reinstall fixed your problem. Next - I'd try out Ultramon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by mmparkskier
View Post

I'm sorry, I don't mean to thread jack, but I don't think this question is worth its own thread.

With two graphics cards, are you able to run 4 monitors? CJRhoades, you say 1 on each card - can you do 2 on each?

If so, why would people spend so much on the Quatro cards from Nvidia? If not, oh well.

On topic: That's sweet that a driver reinstall fixed your problem. Next - I'd try out Ultramon.

i am able to run 4 monitors
3x 23" Dell monitors + 1 BenQ 17" Monitor

2x Sapphire 5850s (canNOT be in CrossfireX tho)

Catalyst 10.3

works very well.......if i had 6 monitors i'd prob try it out
XD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,888 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by CJRhoades
View Post

I'm not really surprised that it does. I'll look into it. +rep

Anyway, I think reinstalling catalyst 10.3a fixed the earlier issue. Running GPU intensive tasks on the second monitor no longer causes GPU usage on both cards.

I was going to say to uninstall and reinstall catalyst to insure both cards are using the ATI driver but you got ahead of me.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top