Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DOes anyone know how to set up a multi-router network. They are not all the same model, and not ll the same protocol, but neither are the ones in my university network. How can i do this? I have a hueg house and want to cover the most area, and i have 5 routers, but i want them all to be the same network....someone help please.

·
Banned
117 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by HardwaterH4ck3r

DOes anyone know how to set up a multi-router network. They are not all the same model, and not ll the same protocol, but neither are the ones in my university network. How can i do this? I have a hueg house and want to cover the most area, and i have 5 routers, but i want them all to be the same network....someone help please.

Most of the time when you daisy-chain routers, the routers after the first becoe switches. Which still give you an internet connection.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am aware of that, but can i make them on the same wireless network? I dont; just want the interent connection.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
1.) Hook up main router to the cable/dsl modem.
2.) Plug cross over cable into port 1 (any port really) and run it to port 1 of router #2.
3.) Take crossover and plug into port #2 of router #2 and run it to port #1 of router #3.
4.) Repeat step #3 for router #4 and #5

You will loose 2 ports on each router limiting you to 2 availible ports on each. Hope you do not need more than 2 ports in each room. If you do then put a switch with enough ports in each room and hook them up via a cross over to the router in that room. The main router's DHCP can handle 251 (I think that is number) computers but I dout you need that many.

And what did you mean by not the same protocol? Are you talking wireless b & g? If you are refering to the wireless the only one that will have wireless transcieve ability will be the main router as the others will not have the ability to "route" traffic as they will acting as switches only. If you are wanting to expand wireless all over the house the best way to that is with gain antennas at the routher and the clients.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any other questions.

Es

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright, that helps muchly....thank you....but will thsoe connecting to the first router on the wireless be able to connect to the same network as those in the daisy chain? And do i hve to set different I.P. addresses so they have seperate router tables?

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Quote:

I am aware of that, but can i make them on the same wireless network? I dont; just want the interent connection.

Well this changes the main jist of what I just posted.

Two choices mi amigo.

1.) Gain antennas at the routher and clients.

2.) Wireless access points. These can be a little expensive. Depending on how big the house you may only need one and use a gain antennas on the access point and main router. They come in G and G/B versions with the latter being more expensive. Both samples are LinkSys which is the brand I like since we use Cisco here at work and LinkSys is Cisco.

G only: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833124012

B/G: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833124132

Hope this helps further and of course ask more if you need more info.

Es

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Quote:

Alright, that helps muchly....thank you....but will thsoe connecting to the first router on the wireless be able to connect to the same network as those in the daisy chain? And do i hve to set different I.P. addresses so they have seperate router tables?

Yes the wireless clients on connected to #1 will be on the same LAN as the wired clients on #s 2, 3 ,4 and 5. But wireless clients will ONLY be able to connect to #1.

Of course you can always combine the 2 solutions I have given you to make a real nice network. Wire the routers and get gain antennas or access points. Just remember that #1 will server the wireless community. And be sure to set a security on the wireless...no sense in sharing your connection with the world and getting lots of traffic you do not need.

Es

1 - 7 of 7 Posts