Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a little background (its needed)- both rads are blowing out right now (240 is blowing out the side) and i was thinking about make the top 360 rad blow in (since its right before the blocks) and the 240 blow out (since its right "after" the blocks). I also plan on getting a 5970, and of course, watercooling it so my questions are as follows
1. should i have the 5970 before the 5870?
2. what block for the 5970?
3. how should i run my loop?

right now i have
res/pump->240rad->pump->360rad->cpu->gpu->res

idea with the 5970
res/pump->360rad->cpu->5870->pump->240rad->5970->res/pump

the lengths of tubing would be about the same so i dont have to take that into consideration, i know i'm going to want the best temps on the 5970 so i can easily OC as high as possible(at least to 5870 clocks)
thanks for the help!

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
  1. Doesn't matter much, loop temps stabilize after time anyway.
  2. ~
  3. Whatever requires less tubing / is easier to manage (same as 1)

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by sn0man
View Post

1. Doesn't matter much, loop temps stabilize after time anyway.
  2. ~
  3. Whatever requires less tubing / is easier to manage (same as 1)

bahhh i hate you!
i know it doesnt matter too much
but i want to squeeze every half a degree out of everything.... maybe have the 360->cpu+5870 and then the 240->5970, would that be the closest to balancing the heat load on the radiators?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Look at it this way. What matters is water temperature, because it's water that cools your blocks.

So maybe one block will be hotter than another, but in the end it doesnt change much.
It will be cooled the same way as any other part, as the water temperature when crossing your blocks will barely change.

Less tubing >>> loop order.

·
Unwilling Beta tester
7,188 Posts
This might help:

(I love that graph so much I might marry it)

As mentioned, loop order is generally unimportant. If you are really concerned about every last degree, then by all means put your rads before your blocks. However if this involves a lot of tubing then you might loose in restriction what you gain in order, as the temperature difference will be pretty small anyway.

Edit: This was my six hundredth and sixty sixth post.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the amount of tubing will be able the same for either setup, so i guess i could just do it with the rad right before the block

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
If you are that worried about 1/2c temps, then realistically you should be running separate loops with full rads for each component and a lot of high volume fans running full blast. That is the only way to get to something like 2c deltas.

For what you are doing, that is more realistic, I don't think it is going to make any difference as everyone here is pointing out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts