Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
I am pretty sure that you have to find out which wires on the atx connector of both power supplys go to the power switch .. then you you need to pull the power switch pins from one of the atx connectors and repin it with the atx connector you will be using on the board. that way when you hit the power button they both fire up.

I though about doing this once having one PS for the pc and on for all the light fans and other mods..

·
Premium Member
8,743 Posts
take your PSU that you want to use for secondary devices...such as cdroms harddrives fans lights and other such devices....

1. take your psu and unplug it, flip the switch on and off several times to kill the juice in it..
2. take your jumper [papercliip, wire, or whatever and jump from the on switch and common ground as marked in my picture in the red [ the purple part is the clip on the mobo 20pin molex]
3.plug your psu into your powerstrip [turn the powerstrip off]
4. turn the power supply on with the jumper installed
5. install a fan to test to see if your PSU is working
6. turn on the powerstrip
7. the power supply should come on , and thats it

Most 20pin atx mobo conectors the power switch wire is green
and the ground will be black

heres the picture

·
Premium Member
6,355 Posts
NOOOOOOOOOO
It doesnt work... The green light in the back goes on but! the fan i have hooked up doesnt run and the fan in the psu doesnt run so i think i did something wrong...bu i dont think i did anything wrong...lol
Btw my shapes dont match that psu u have some of those circles r squares or triangles or weird shapes..idunno if that matters any
Help a noob out

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
So you just use the button on the back of the PSU to power it up? Isn't there some way you can wire the 2nd PSU's power on into the ATX power switch on the front of the case?

·
Premium Member
8,743 Posts
ok shawns anser first...
yes you can splice the wire to the power switch and run the wires to the spare PSU, i have never done this but it should work fine... if not you can buy a single pole single throw switch to do this...

Mr.Nooblar
this is a very simple mod i just did it in 5 minutes and took pictures of it...
its simple there is one green wire in your power supply 20pin connector...
plug your staple into the green hole and the black one above it...
its that simple here are pictures to prove this

but the first will be the holes i jumped this time since you can do any black with the one green connector...
is this PSU from dell or is it a standard atx PSU?

pictures below

·
Premium Member
6,355 Posts
AHH!! Thank you a million! i conneceted it to the second way you told me and it worked. Now i have to figure out were to put this second beast
I dont have a full tower...lol its one of those micro towers from compac lol holes in my side pannel or new case+mod ^^

·
Registered
885 Posts
Could I use just any old PSU to do this? I have some old PSUs and they're pretty crappy like 200W ones, and I was just thinking of running my fans off of that. Would there be a point? Would it be more trouble than it's worth? Or would it even work with a crappy PSU?

·
Premium Member
8,743 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ludaz

Could I use just any old PSU to do this? I have some old PSUs and they're pretty crappy like 200W ones, and I was just thinking of running my fans off of that. Would there be a point? Would it be more trouble than it's worth? Or would it even work with a crappy PSU?

of course you could.. lemme know if you need run into any problems....

and for mr NOOBLAR....

www.freecycle.org

and post wanted big computer case

i found a big case with 6 5.25 bays, but i havent picked up yet

oh and it has a mounting bracket for another PSU

1 - 17 of 17 Posts