Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Aquaero 5 XT and 2 PA's.

Now I would like to add some temperature sensors to the waterloop.

I found the Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Sensor Stop Fitting Matt Black BP-MBWP-CT

My loop will be;

Pump ( mcp35x2) - rad ( Monsta 240 ) - GPU - rad (UT 45mm 360) Mobo block - Cpu - ram - flowmeter - aquaero 5- reservoir

My idea would be, to put 4 inline temp sensors in both rad inlet / outlet side , and 1 in the reservoir, so 5 in total.

Would this make any sense
biggrin.gif
, or will the temp differences be to small? Or in other words, will the temp sensors be able to measure the difference?

anyone have something similar?

·
Premium Member
7,161 Posts
Watercooling is all about trying out ideas.Your idea may be linked to simply having information just because you like data or you are installing hundreds of dollars of extra gear to run your cpu 3C cooler.Unless you have some reason that you have not mentioned, temp monitoring from different loop locations is not required.Now if part of the hobby for you is this data gathering, put them where you want,analyze if they are doing what you want and either keep working on the loop or call it finished.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes it is mostly for fun, and because the aquaero has the options. The only thing holding me from buying at the moment is, will it be possible to measure the difference. I mean are the bitspower sensors accurate enough?

·
Registered
133 Posts
My experience is that the coolant throughout the loop, whether fore/aft of radiators/blocks all equalizes out to the same temp. But it is still good info to compare to CPU, etc. temps.

After learning that there were no differences to measure within the loop I placed mine here for more useful data;

ambient air
radiator exhaust air
coolant temp at radiator inlet
RAM (because I don't watercool the memory)

Have fun with it!

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks, yes I have four normal air temp sensors also. not yet really sure where to put them yet. Thinking of ambient temp, case temp, and for the aquaero PA's I have some special cooling made by E22 which could use a temp senor as well. Radiators sound interesting.

·
Unwilling Beta tester
7,188 Posts
You will never know until you try...

The temperature sensors I have played with measure in 0.1°C increments, they might be accurate but not callibrated. You can put them all in a glass of water at various temperatures and see if they all report the same value. I believe that the AQ5 allows you to adjust the inputs so you can calibrate them, or at least make them all read the same value.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So before I will put them in the loop it's better to calibrate them?

·
Unwilling Beta tester
7,188 Posts
If you want accurate temperature differences then yes.

It will be difficult to calibrate them to the correct temperature - unless you happen to have a calibrated temperature measuring device handy - but you can at least make sure they all read the same temperature. It also checks that they work, which is well worth doing before you install them.

Incidentally if you know the in and out temperatures of various components along with the flow rate you can work out how much power is being absorbed by or dissipated from the water.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
think I will put all 5 in a glass with water, and they should give the same temp. Otherwise I should be able to "adjust" them with the Aquaero.

Any idea If I can shorten the lenght. They are 90 cm, but I want to sleeve them, and make them custom length.

I should get them today, but I am flying out tomorrow for 5 weeks
mad.gif

·
Unwilling Beta tester
7,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotter View Post

think I will put all 5 in a glass with water, and they should give the same temp. Otherwise I should be able to "adjust" them with the Aquaero.

Any idea If I can shorten the lenght. They are 90 cm, but I want to sleeve them, and make them custom length.
I'm sure it can be done, especially if you have spare pins. If not you are into cutting and soldering. Beware though, it may affect the temperature measurements, these things work by measuring resistance - change the wire length and you change the resistance. I'm not sure if it will have a noticeable effect but it is worth keeping in mind.
Quote:

I should get them today, but I am flying out tomorrow for 5 weeks
mad.gif
They will wait for you to return. Computer parts are good like that, not like women. Pesky women.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They will wait for you to return. Computer parts are good like that, not like women. Pesky women.[/quote]

thumb.gif

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
temp sensors came in today. Connected to the aquaero 5 they gave temps from 20.6C to 21.2C. With the offset possibility of the aquaero I will nee to take away the differences, before installing them.

·
Unwilling Beta tester
7,188 Posts
Quote:

temp sensors came in today. Connected to the aquaero 5 they gave temps from 20.6C to 21.2C. With the offset possibility of the aquaero I will nee to take away the differences, before installing them.
Sounds about right from what I have had in the past.

Check them over a range of temperatures too, sometimes they do not scale perfectly linearly. If you have to choose then make sure they read the same values in the range you will likely be measuring - generally about 25-35°C depending on your room temperature.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks, when I get back home, I will cut one for custom sleeve length and see what happens...... but I saw in the Big Budget Boomer Box work log that a 2 pin temp sensor cable lenght was made shorter without any problems
thumb.gif

1 - 15 of 15 Posts