Overclock.net banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone ..

So in regards to the multipliers being locked, that is totally true. I managed to use the wire trick to adjust the multiplier for the XP2400 and it worked...to an extent. Now when I boot up, the multiplier is set to 7 and my chip runs at approx 933 Mhz. I have upped the FSB so that my 2400 chugs along at 200Mhz FSB with a mult of 7...and my speed is at 1400Mhz.

Now becuase the board wont allow for multiplier adjustments in BIOS, there are a few programs out there that let you change the multiplier on the fly through windows. (cyrstal CPUID and CPUMSR) But for some reason they dont allow me to, so I am stuck at 7. Its a Chaintec 7NJL6 by the way. Until I get some cash for an immediate upgrade im stuck with this.

I have read that most people who have done this successfully had to mod their chips to Mobile version in order to freely adjust the multiplier on the fly.

Is this the case? Is that why I am stuck at 7? Anyone done something like this or have any experience?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used the wire mod. Took a thin strand of wire from a floppy cable and wrapped it around the 2 pins on the left upper side on the bottom of the cpu.

On the link you posted, if you choose T-Bred and Unlock Via BIOS from the drop down boxes, while leaving the others the way they are...it will show you which 2 pins.

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
Why would you use tbred mods with your xp?

***EDIT

You shorted two pins to unlock the multi? I think you should remove the wire, and try manually setting the multiplier using the pin mod guide.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Shorting the 2 pins should technically give me all lower Multipliers, correct?

If I use the pin guide and choose Athlon XP and choose a multi of 10 for example, it gives me a whole lot more pins to short. Is that how it works??

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
Got confused because there is a barton, tbred, and XP choice in the drop down.

Either way, I think the XP and tbred mods are the same. Still, remove the current two-pin short, and try to set a specific multiplier rather than unlock them all.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got confused as well from the pull down box. Tbred and Athlon XP are the same...unless he means thunderbird with the tbred...but that doesnt make sense.

So with the pin guide, just do the same wire trick but to all the pins it shows?

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
You could try that, but I was just pokin through your manual and noticed a setting or two that needs to be checked out.

What is your cpu interface set at? Have you tried putting it on Expert?

Also, what is your JP3 currently at? (FSB jumper)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know the board sux when it comes to overclocking.

It does give me the options to change the FSB, AGP and PCI frequency as well as timings for RAM. No options for multiplier though.

I have the agp and PCI locked so I wont mess with those. Its set on Expert and originally I had the system OC'd only by FSB.. I could crank it up to 2.3 but then stability becomes an issue. I figured If I drop the multiplier and push the fsb to 200 rather than 133, then I will get the best overall OC that way.

Im not running on stock cooling. I have a thermaltake Polo and OC at 2300 under full load, my temp reaches a max of 43 C.

The jumper is set to 133 at the moment. As I understand, that just basically tells bios what FSB to start up with. For example, If I set it to 166, then when I go to up the FSB through BIOS via the 1mhz increment setting, then it was start at 166 and go on from there, (167, 168 etc etc.)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was thinking the same..

Thanx Xavier1421 for the help.

I will post back tonite with what happens.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So the pin mod worked. My multi is currently at 10.5 and my FSB is at 360Mhz. The cpu speed is at 1894 Mhz.

Now from a performance stand point.. I went from 2Ghz at 266mhz to 1.8 at 360mhz. Rite now it sounds like an XP2400 with 360Mhz FSB is pretty sweet.

How is that? Is that much of a boost? I am gona test this out on NFSMW and see how and hour or so of that running will do.

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
If everything is ok temp wise, I'd seriously try for 11x200 (if your ram will do it)

even 200x10 would be sweet.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Any FSB over 182 and the system will keep restarting. I tried 10.5 at 200 and the system wouldnt even post. My ram is DDR400 so I know its not the ram. I think this is the limit for the board possibly. If I cant do 10.5x200, then its safe to say that it wont handle 11x200, rite?

Temps are good..idle at around 39-40...full load at 45.. pretty much the same as before the oc.

I played NFSMW for about an hour with no problems. Ran Prime for 2 hours and no glitches either. Even when Prime was running, I could still surf the web and unzip files.

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
What FSB is your jumper set to?

What Vcore are you running? Your processor can handle 200x10 and probably even 200x11 with the right adjustments...AND it's an nforce motherboard, should be fine.

I think you still have some tweaking to do

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There are no settings to adjust vcore in bios, let alone see what its running at. For the PSU, it auto adjusts voltage needed as it says. Its an X-connect modular psu 500w. I am still pretty much a begginer when it comes to adjusting voltage and how voltage affects the oc. I do understand that the more power, the higher the oc.

The jumper is set to 133/166/200. The only other setting is 100mhz.

So where else should i tweak or start looking? I understand the nforce should handle 200mhz easy since the board itself supports 400mhz..dont know why i cant get over the 182mark.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts