Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title states, I am confused with multipliers. My rig seems to run smoother at 8x500 than 9.5x420. What is the main pros and cons to it? Looking at this, did i waste money buying an E8500 with 9.5 multi opposed to an E8400 with a 9 multi when either can run at 8x!? lol someone enlighten me, thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
2,443 Posts
Higher multiplier means you can get a higher overclock on a board that might have a FSB wall, but otherwise it makes no difference, aside from the FSB wall and also how stable your RAM may be able to perform at lower FSB. Buying cheaper RAM is sometimes a better solution for people so they want to have a higher multiplier.

If yours is stable at 8x then you could look at it as a waste of money I guess... but just be happy you are stable

Although, using a higher multiplier does generate better power savings if you have C1E/SpeedStep enabled because its going from a higher multiplier to the low power multi... For example, on a Q6600 if you leave multiplier at 9 the low power multi is 6, so the savings would be a lot more than a shift from, say, 7 to 6.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i tried to push 500FSB with a 9.5 multi and no dice. lol, but i bet i could with lots of volts. another question before i leave for class, does the .5 multiplier make anything run slower or less efficient? i feel its hard to OC with a fraction added to the multi, but it might just be me.

·
Premium Member
2,443 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by aznDANNYazn
View Post

i tried to push 500FSB with a 9.5 multi and no dice. lol, but i bet i could with lots of volts. another question before i leave for class, does the .5 multiplier make anything run slower or less efficient? i feel its hard to OC with a fraction added to the multi, but it might just be me.

No, the fraction just allowed intel to charge more for a slightly higher clocked chip. It should have no effect on stability. You probably just need more volts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
another question...what uses more vcore, a higher FSB with lower multi OR lower FSB with a higher multi.

·
Premium Member
2,443 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by aznDANNYazn View Post
another question...what uses more vcore, a higher FSB with lower multi OR lower FSB with a higher multi.
its not that either one or the other use more vcore, when the chip is operating at a certain clock speed, it would require the same vcore to remain stable. FSBxMulti, neither one are really independent of each other when voltage is concerned. its the end result, the clock speed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts