Overclock.net banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been playing around with my new(ish) system for a while now; and I'm trying to do this right now without touching my voltages and just see how much I can get out of it before I up the volts (I hope to reach 3.2GHz as I've seen others do). I've found I can stably reach higher CPU frequencies by going with a lower multiplier and raising my Reference Clock by 30 or so. For example, I'm currently stress testing it at a multiplier of 13 and a ref clock of 240 resulting in 3.12GHz and seems to be fine (I plan on upping the ref clock another 2 in a few hours); however, before this series of trials I tried the stock multiplier of 14 along with 14.5, 15, 15.5, and even 16 all with reference clocks between 200 and 223. I found that the higher the multiplier, the lower the ref clock had to be; which is as I expected. I did not expect, however, that with each time I lowered the multiplier from 16 I could in turn raise the reference clock high enough to surpass any OC at the higher multiplier.

If you managed to stick it through that jumble above, then I suppose my questions are: is this normal and is there any advantage to having a higher multiplier vs a higher reference clock and vice versa?

Thanks for reading, and thanks in advance for any input OCN.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
A multiplier of 13 is very common for the 77XX iirc, the only advantage of having an unlocked multi is achieving an extreme OC of 4Ghz or higher, thats when the fsb:dram ratio starts to kick in, anyways for now I'd say you should keep increasing your ref clock rather than messing with the ration, I am sure you can reach 3.2Ghz with the right tweaks

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.