Overclock.net banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am Greek ( European ), and up to date anything which it did impressed me as a product or as an technological engineering (a brilliant idea of some one else ) this came from Japan or Taiwan.
Mushkin appears as American company, even so it has a tiny footprint at my location, so far.

I am not going to use much of text, this is simply a demonstration of a brilliant idea which is in danger to pass as unnoticed.
Over the years I have buy or use finest RAM modules ( them including quality passive cooling) from OCZ, Kingston so to name a few.
OCZ passive cooling offerings was more attention to detail and eye candy design.
Kingston has more faith to bulky aluminum rods.
Mushkin FROSTBYTE this is a true surprise to my eyes, as it uses successfully law of physic's twice:
1) Air stream this travels thru a metallic spiral and removes any accumulated heat from that end.
2) Micro dents over aluminum they are forming microscopic heatsink fins, sharp points become heat collectors, then the cold air stream does it own work about heat removal.

The one which designed this passive cooling for RAM he is a genius !!
Mushkin FROSTBYTE this is in use at DDR3 and DDR4 modules.

If my text appears hard as explanation, the two images bellow will help more as How-to this smart Engineering works.

Product Font Rectangle Circle Electric blue

Circuit component Passive circuit component Rectangle Operational amplifier Font

·
Banned
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Such Frostbyte heatsink this is over DDR3 2400 CL11 (first sample picture above) (Second sample picture this is DDR4 - Taipei expo 2020), purpose serving this is retaining both rows of chip at a temperature close to environmental.
Industrial computer systems they are poorly ventilated, in such environments RAM Dimm temperature might become high as 55~65C at summer time.
DDR3 max operational limit this is set to 85C, an industrial PC can get that warm only if this is next to a huge heat source, an oven this melting metal or baking cement.
Regular Home PC builds they have an easy life, passive air cooling over RAM this is more than enough, if this is successfully implemented.

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
I've had good results just pointing a strong fan at my ram sticks. They run plenty cool with a 5300rpm delta blowing their way.
Surely anything requiring cooling will do better with a Delta screaming at it? :D

·
Banned
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Too many friends around of active Ram cooling, history recorded the first ever shown at 2005.
2022 - 2005 = 17 long years with out any incoming innovation :geek: other than a Four pin plug.

Passive circuit component Circuit component Hardware programmer Electrical wiring Computer hardware

·
Premium Member
3,456 Posts
I have used Mushkin RAM and SSDs numerous times over the past 15 years or so and have never had issues. I've run their Blackline and Redline ram kits and the heat spreaders seem to work pretty good.

·
Never Finished
2,466 Posts
Mushkin made great DDR3 modules. Their DDR4 is not competitive at all, but they always had nice heatsink designs that were functional. Now, it seems like they've shifted their focus to SSDs.

·
Banned
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The only way spying Mushkin (marketing team and news) today, this is due their Facebook page.

·
Otherworlder
7,632 Posts
what i dont like about the recent ram developments is they no longer use VLP PCBs.
if they really want to maximize cooling potential then VLP PCB paired with a chunky heatsink will have significantly better surface area for airflow.

·
Banned
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am electrician and in to electronics repairs for 40 years, the debate about PCB quality this started approximately at the year 2002, in which Crusial this presented their finest low latency DRAM, and I spent half month salary so to get a pair of 2 x 128 MB.

20 years later PCB manufacturing this is now at a new level.
PCB this is mix of isolation (electrical insulation) along copper lines, the insulation this is never be designed to offer any cooling properties.
Modern single side DIMM's they have copper lines at the back too, them can be described as heat transfer paths.
Butt dual side DIMM's will always run hotter with out a heatsink.

Rectangle Circuit component Material property Font Electric blue

• Rep+
Reactions: BuranC

·
Banned
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Very interesting heatsinks in those Mushkin sticks. Unfortunately aesthetically wise no matching black PCBs for those kits in either DDR2,DDR3 and DDR4.
You are a hater of Green ? 🤣
The new strategy this is us to protect the environment, green energy, green habits, less abuse of color paint too.

I was there (having the ability to choose) but I did not get influenced either by Gigabyte marketing about GA-Z87X-UD5H vs GA-Z87X-UD5H Black edition.

·
Registered
87 Posts
😅 Nah I have nothing against colors and I don't care at all about PCB colors in closed PC cases that are all metal. I like matching PCB colors if possible when the cases have transparent sides. Of course not enought to discard a good kit (chips wise) just because PCB color, but it is a nice detail. There is nothing against green PCBs aside most desktop mid-range and high-range ATX motherboards PCBs tend to be blue, brown or black. It is just a minor detail.

The heatsinks are really nice and not oversized for the DDR3 version.

·
Banned
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The heatsinks are really nice and not oversized for the DDR3 version.
They are.. they are tall enough so to not be an obstacle even when a tower cooler this loaded with fans and fans they extrude too much... there is enough clearance so to not cause a problem.
These are pictures from the motherboard of the seller in Germany, that I got my RAM from.
I told him that I am in denial to buy used RAM previously used in a system with water cooled CPU.
And he send to me proofs that he was using indeed air cooling.;)

Automotive design Audio equipment Red Font Musical instrument accessory

Electrical wiring Cable Wire Electrical supply Heat-shrink tubing

• Rep+

·
Registered
87 Posts
They do not appear so big in the photos. Well at least they did fit with that Noctua. I mean they do no look oversized compared to another popular kits of that time before the widespread of DDR3 low height RAM. At the time some kits had really tall heatspreaders. The late 2000s and early 2010s were specially a time for really oversized DDR3 RAM heatsinks for almost any range of RAM over valueRAM kits. Check the height with heatsink of some popular high frecuency RAM kits from those years that almost assured you the conflict with any double tower aftermarket heatsink like:

- The standard version of the Corsair Vengeance (this one was really widespread and infamous for cpu heatsink conflicts and because these kits were mostly just the standard JEDEC 1600 Mhz CL9 speed. Eventually they added the much more cpu cooler friendly Vengeance LP with the same speeds and latencies):

- Corsair Vengeance Pro:

- Corsair Dominator GT:

- Corsair Dominator Platinum:

- Kingston HyperX Beast:

- G.Skill Ripjaws X (this one wasn't as tall as another kits above but it was a really popular RAM kit for the 1155 platform here as popular or more than the the basic Corsair Vengeance kits):

I meant those Mushkin Blackline Frostbite DDR3 do no look oversized at all compared to those kits ;) .

·
Banned
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Have you seen a car crashing over a tree? This is an accident.

What is pictured bellow, this is a poor made choice of the cooler manufacturer = customers beware . ;)
Primarily my choice of me getting a new RAM, this was about Gskill ARES.

Audio equipment Electronic instrument Office equipment Computer hardware Engineering

• Rep+

·
LTSC for life crew
4,527 Posts
No I don't think cars make for very good airplanes. I have seen an alien in a basket flying over some trees though.

The picture you show is a customer's error. Has nothing to do with either component manufacturer making the mistake.

·
Banned
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No I don't think cars make for very good airplanes. I have seen an alien in a basket flying over some trees though.
The picture you show is a customer's error. Has nothing to do with either component manufacturer making the mistake.
You may simply mention the dump-ass manufacturer name, which designed this cooler so to be that short.
I am no Rat, find it by your self. 😆

1 - 18 of 18 Posts