Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be making an install of ubuntu shortly, and I realized that winamp and foobar are windows only programs and do not work on linux without wine.

are there any good native linux music players that are as good as winamp or foobar?

thanks in advance!

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,228 Posts
I use Xbox Media Player and/or Amorok

• Rep+
Reactions: smoke12291

·
Team Red Lobbyist
1,604 Posts
Rhythmbox comes with it and works great - I like it better than Windows Media player... and I have so much music, older versions of Winamp haven't worked for me in a couple years.

Rhythmbox should work right out of the box - you should not need to install anything additional

·
Registered
370 Posts
All have ipod support with first gen and lower nanos, and 5th gen and lower classics. iPhone/touch only if jailbroken methinks.

I use songbird, btw. Love it. Banshee wasn't stable enough to manage 12k songs and I didn't like the amarok gui.

·
Premium Member
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheehanigans View Post
All have ipod support with first gen and lower nanos, and 5th gen and lower classics. iPhone/touch only if jailbroken methinks.

I use songbird, btw. Love it. Banshee wasn't stable enough to manage 12k songs and I didn't like the amarok gui.
good thing I don't have an iPhone or iPod Touch then

thanks for all the responses, reps to ya.

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,228 Posts
Amorok to me is like iTunes which I use but it annoys me a little...

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
I would go for Songbird or Amarok. I personally loved Amarok's GUI, but found Songbird a bit ehhhh...I've never been fond of iTunes either though, so perhaps a skin change would have solved that.

Regardless, I feel that feature wise, Amarok can't be beaten. I either use that or Foobar on my windows rig.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Eh, if he were to go the MPD route, ncmpcpp would probably be more of what he's looking for. However, @op, the features that you seem to want out of a music player are rather different than what MPD and its clients can provide.

In your case, I'd say Banshee or SongBird.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Songbird worked well for me when I tried it, I couldn't believe Foobar didn't have a linux version. Someone should get on that because Foobar is awesome and linux is awesome so they both need to be together lol.

·
Premium Member
16,927 Posts
rhythmbox can have my babies...

not really, but it's really really good as a media player. Banshee is also really good, and there is also songbird as others have mentioned, along with Exaile and Amarok...

i don't think it'll be all that hard to find a player that works well for you tbh, there is so much choice in the repos.

·
Filthy Casual
8,653 Posts
Aqualung. It's like the VLC of audio players.

If you want to keep your entire library organized within the Media Player, though, better use Rhythmbox.

I need to find a better CD Ripper in Linux, though. Rhythmbox is pretty good, but I had some skipping on CDs I've never had any issues with before, and skipping fixed in CDs that have never worked perfectly outside of EAC. Very inconsistent ripping utility in Rhythmbox.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.