Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off the key word is "Tolerable." I don't care if you always played on a big tv and anything small wouldn't be up to snuff for you. Right now I have a little 20inch CRT and never had a problems with playing games I wanted until recently.

I ask the question because some recent games such as BF2:Bad company and MAG are just awful at accomidating a small screen. It is only because enemies look like dots. Forget about sniping not even possible.

I'm just wondering if I can expect MWF2 to be like COD:WaW where things are playable, or if it's going to be really hard to see like the games mentioned above.

I'm in the process of finding a good tv deal this holiday season, and finally enter the modern era of televisions!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
387 Posts
I would say it is going to be difficult to play on a 20" tv. I play on a 24" at about 5 feet away and I have trouble playing COD MW2 because of the size. I would suggest 26" and upwards, thats what my brother has and he's fine.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,459 Posts
I would definitely suggest finding a good 720p or 1080p (if you can afford) TV. The size all depends on you. Anything above 32", go 1080p. Anything less, go 720p.

I would also recommend looking at using a monitor if you are looking for something in the smaller size (20" - 25") and for gaming only as they can be had for cheaper. But remember, no built-in tuner!

Oh and "warfare" is one word
 

·
I might have tacos tonite
Joined
·
22,339 Posts
It's not the inch size that's the problem, it's the resolution. I don't think MW2 will be any good at standard res.
 

·
B.O.W
Joined
·
26,978 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Crazy9000
View Post

It's not the inch size that's the problem, it's the resolution. I don't think MW2 will be any good at standard res.

I don't believe thats what he's saying.
Consoles are really hard to play on smaller non-HD TVs. Like, beyond playable imo. Some people can do it - I can't fathom how.
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: williamx

·
User of the PC
Joined
·
2,123 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by OmegaNemesis28 View Post
I don't believe thats what he's saying.
Consoles are really hard to play on smaller non-HD TVs. Like, beyond playable imo. Some people can do it - I can't fathom how.
Haha yeah my friend plays on a 19inch non-HD screen, im not even sure how he does it. But anyways I play on a 26 and 19 inch LCD screen. Both work great!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,195 Posts
I play on a 27" CRT TV and its really hard on some maps. I am forced to use thermal to even see anybody. Thats all going to change in a few weeks when I get my 37" 1080p tv
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
681 Posts
I play on a 22" LCD Monitor from ~2.5 feet away (its at my computer desk) @ and I have no problems seeing the screen or missing detail. I actuall prefer it to my 32" 720p LCD TV from ~6ft or my 52" 1080p LCD TV ~9ft
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:


Originally Posted by carl25
View Post

what do you use for your computer ? if it is a monitor, use that

Hey thanks for the input everyone. Well problem with that is in 2007 I went to bestbuy black Friday and was looking to upgrade my monitor, and I did to a 22". However, I bought the cheap one, and it came with nothing special. I have no hookups in the back, and if I would of just spent $50 more I could of had a really good 22". So I'm still kicking myself till this day.

Yeah, like i said after playing games like BF2, and MAG on the tv I just don't think MWF2 will be doable. I played MW on PC so that wasn't a problem. However WaW was fine on my TV and I did quite well, but I think they are 2 different games, so I'm just F'ed till I buy a new TV.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,459 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by williamx
View Post

Hey thanks for the input everyone. Well problem with that is in 2007 I went to bestbuy black Friday and was looking to upgrade my monitor, and I did to a 22". However, I bought the cheap one, and it came with nothing special. I have no hookups in the back, and if I would of just spent $50 more I could of had a really good 22". So I'm still kicking myself till this day.

Yeah, like i said after playing games like BF2, and MAG on the tv I just don't think MWF2 will be doable. I played MW on PC so that wasn't a problem. However WaW was fine on my TV and I did quite well, but I think they are 2 different games, so I'm just F'ed till I buy a new TV.

Well, now that you say that it might be fine if World at War was fine.

Both games output at 600p.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
387 Posts
Really I think it all comes down to the distance you sit, I can play pc fps on a 15" lcd and not have trouble seeing enemies but on my 24" I can't see the enemies easily from 5 feet away. If I were you I would go into a TV shop and size up the tv's and stand at the distance you would sit and see how it is. If your friends have COD MW2 you could try their TV's for size.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
WEll I just broke down and bought me a nice little 32 inch, no need for excess at the moment, and it plays the game great. Just ordered me an HDMI cable so will be waiting for that!
 

·
I might have tacos tonite
Joined
·
22,339 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by OmegaNemesis28
View Post

I don't believe thats what he's saying.
Consoles are really hard to play on smaller non-HD TVs. Like, beyond playable imo. Some people can do it - I can't fathom how.

I'm saying the reason you can't see anything is the non-HD (480i) resolution of those screens, not the fact that they are 20"; if you are close enough you can see fine on a 1080p 20" screen.
 

·
Nvidia Enthusiast
Joined
·
9,993 Posts
well it depends if your used to SDTV or not i am i have never had an HDTV before so it looks okay on my friends 20" TV
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
726 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Ven0m Blast
View Post

I would say it is going to be difficult to play on a 20" tv. I play on a 24" at about 5 feet away and I have trouble playing COD MW2 because of the size. I would suggest 26" and upwards, thats what my brother has and he's fine.

Anything less than that...and you HAVE to buy yourself a bigger tv.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
288 Posts
Sounds like a good choice to me, for some nice relaxed distance a nice 32' with good contrast and a sharp picture is very tolerable to most people including myself.
Go and enjoy mw2 and some other great titles with your new screen.

Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,031 Posts
The only issue I can think of with playing ANY modern consoles on a CRT TV is the text. Game designers seem to forget there is still a significant portion of console users who use CRT and not HDTVs. Yes, this number is slowly falling, and no, you wont see many of them here. The text in all PS3 games I've played on a CRT TV is impossible to read. Maybe the developers could have made the text a little bigger if the game is on 640x480 or less, but meh, who cares about CRT TVs? HDTVs are where it's at. I just know everyone owns them. I mean, $2000 for a TV with little but growing HD support... not bad, it's a killer deal.
 

·
B.O.W
Joined
·
26,978 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy9000 View Post
I'm saying the reason you can't see anything is the non-HD (480i) resolution of those screens, not the fact that they are 20"; if you are close enough you can see fine on a 1080p 20" screen.
ah ok I see what you're saying

a 20" non HD screen is absolutely horrid compared to a 20" HD screen because with the non HD - it won't be 600p.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top