Overclock.net banner
621 - 640 of 677 Posts

·
Intel/EVGA Fanboi
849 Posts
There's nothing wrong with the mouse wheel. It's great actually. If you liked the feel of the original MX518 wheel you will be good with this one. Doesn't "Blow chunks" by any means... I prefer its stiffer steps to the sloppy ones (coming from a g403).
I totally agree! The wheel scrolls perfectly with a slight clicking feel, yet you can still push it down as a button to activate another command right there between the left and right click buttons. How much more convenient could it be? AND..after it 8 yrs of hard use, it NEVER failed on me. Take that for what it's worth to you.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Been using this mouse for a few weeks now and i gotta say....this is the best mouse i´ve ever used. Been using a Roccat Kone Pure before which was nearly perfect for me regarding the shape, but after using it a while i more and more thought "couldn´t it be a little bit bigger". Tried its larger brother, the Kone EMP, but this one was a bit too big and too heavy for me...so i was looking for something in between those two mice, regarding size and weight.
When Logitech announced its renewed MX518 i thought "could give it a try" and bought it when it came out here in germany. I never had the original or the mice based on it (G400s etc.) and tbh by the looks of it, it doesn´t even look that ergonomical and comfy, but since it was such a famous mouse, i bought it anyway....glad that i did.

My hands are somewhere in between small and middle size and i grip mice with a mix of palm and claw grip...meaning the back of my hand rests on the mouse, but fingers doesnt lie flat on the mouse; not really clawing it, just a slight bit...and for that, the MX518 has the perfect shape and size. I´ve read some reviews where the reviewers complained about the ridge on the right size, but for me its just right: I can comfortably put my finger under it and it helps a lot with having a secure grip and picking it up. Strangely, it looks substantially larger than my old KPOE and the numbers support that, but it doesn´t feel that way...feels like just the bit larger i needed.
Regarding materials used its also better than expected...the glossy surface might look glossy, but actually feels really sticky, while the roughenend plastic on the sides makes for a very secure grip.
Buttons feel very good...probably not as good as the best of the best around, but still very good with almost no travel or pretravel.
The scroll wheel....i can see why some people don´t like it that much and when scrolling large websites etc. it might feel a bit harsh and on the heavy side, but on the other hand its scrolling steps are very defined and you actually never ever scroll accidentially or scroll while pressing it down...which makes it a joy to use in games. It also is very deep into the mouse and doesn´t stand out that much like on many other mouse...imho this makes scrolling and clicking it even more comfy and natural.

As long as Logitech is producing this mouse, i don´t need another mouse again. Well....except they come up with a wireless MX518 "modern style" and probably fancy LED´s while keeping the weight about 100 grams, that is.

·
Registered
178 Posts
There's nothing wrong with the mouse wheel. It's great actually. If you liked the feel of the original MX518 wheel you will be good with this one. Doesn't "Blow chunks" by any means... I prefer its stiffer steps to the sloppy ones (coming from a g403).
Kinda not ideal, but I've grown accustomed to it, and quite frankly, there's no other mouse shape like the MX518. Whoever developed that was the nerdiest nerd genius dork who took his boss' orders seriously and made the end-all be-all of computer mouses. The only thing that need be changed from then on was the continual advancements in sensor technology (maybe a button or wheel enhancement).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi everyone, I'm looking for a new mouse, my hands is 18cm/9.5cm and my grip is palm grip. Should I get a new mx518? Thank you.

·
Premium Member
5,019 Posts
Hi everyone, I'm looking for a new mouse, my hands is 18cm/9.5cm and my grip is palm grip. Should I get a new mx518? Thank you.

Can you show examples of mice you like and mice you dislike?

In my mind the new MX518 is more for people that are fans of the old versions and already know for sure that they will love the shape it has. If you don't know already that this here is the best for you, I bet G603 or wired G403 would make you happier if you want Logitech.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Can you show examples of mice you like and mice you dislike?

In my mind the new MX518 is more for people that are fans of the old versions and already know for sure that they will love the shape it has. If you don't know already that this here is the best for you, I bet G603 or wired G403 would make you happier if you want Logitech.
Unfortunately, I haven't bought any of logitech gaming mice, I have used roccat savu and rival 110, both of them aren't bad but definitely not great for my hands, now I concerned about zowie ec2-a and logitech mx518 but I'm leaning to mx518 because I heard so many people in my CSGO community said mx518/g400/g400s is the legendary mouse.

·
Premium Member
16,114 Posts
The steps are good, if not a bit clunky, but the mouse wheel click is mushy and feels like you’ll eventually push it too hard one day and it’ll break/snap/whatever.

·
Registered
6,309 Posts
I see this mouse is on amazon now, has there been any differences from the ones in china like coating or buttons etc?

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
The steps are good, if not a bit clunky, but the mouse wheel click is mushy and feels like you’ll eventually push it too hard one day and it’ll break/snap/whatever.
It's a simple spring mechanism on top of a microswitch. Can't get any simpler and is aobut the last part of the mouse that could possibly break.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I absolutely love this mouse! I never owned the original (had a G9 instead) but have been using DeathAdders for years as they were the most comfortable mouse for my hand be light years. I didn't think anything would replace them but the new Mx518 has.

The shape isn't as "perfect" for my hand as my beloved DeathAdder but it's 95%. The sensor is just surgical tho and easily the best I've ever used.

Add to that Logitech's superb software and not having to constantly sign in to Synapse and deal with idiotic update reminders every other day (they even sent me email reminders for updates) and that makes the G MX518 my new "greatest mouse ever".

·
Registered
42 Posts
Been awhile since I posted, but considering what I and several other people have experienced with this scroll wheel including owners of previous generations of this shape it's pretty safe to say that at minimum a fair number of these has ****ty scroll wheels. You might've been lucky and got one that works just like the older ones I and several others weren't.

I fixed mine by taking the one from my G400 and putting it in my G MX518, and I'm talking just the wheel the rest of the assembly metal clip, spring and all came with the G MX518.

Oh and I got my G MX518 down to about 90g-91g

Picture I took just before reassemblying with all the components and screws I use. (screws are under the top part of the shell)

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
My scroll wheel is fine. I must be a lucky one too...

·
Premium Member
16,114 Posts
I don't care for the feel of the click, but it doesn't feel broken by any means...just...underwhelming. What behavior does a broken/crappy one exhibit?

·
Premium Member
16,114 Posts
dont fix what aint broke.
Yeah it still brings back everything I remember about my original MX518, so I have no plans on hacking it up. I think it is going to be my work mouse very soon, though.

621 - 640 of 677 Posts