Overclock.net banner
661 - 677 of 677 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,019 Posts
Thanks. So with the G MX518 I should set "850" DPI to get the same setup as with my old mouse at "800" DPI?

You need to measure this yourself. Every mouse can be a bit different.

I mean, use a ruler and measure something in real life on your mouse pad. For example, I like to measure how much you need to move the mouse to reach from the left edge to the right edge on the screen. On a 2560 pixel wide desktop with 800dpi, that's 3.2 inch, and 3.2 inch are 8.1 cm. On a 1920 pixel wide desktop, it's 2.4 inch or 6.1 cm.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You need to measure this yourself. Every mouse can be a bit different.

I mean, use a ruler and measure something in real life on your mouse pad. For example, I like to measure how much you need to move the mouse to reach from the left edge to the right edge on the screen. On a 2560 pixel wide desktop with 800dpi, that's 3.2 inch, and 3.2 inch are 8.1 cm. On a 1920 pixel wide desktop, it's 2.4 inch or 6.1 cm.
Thanks! And what about neg accel? is this still affected by DPI?
See here: https://funender.com/quake/mouse/index.html

·
Registered
4,863 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Nope that's a thing of the past too. Pretty much all of the old issues and considerations for mouse sensor performance are gone.
Okay that is awesome.

So basically for any game (quake 3, RTCW, CS 1.6, CS:GO, CoD Warzone, Apex,...) I just set a random DPI between 400-1600 and a random sensitivity that just feels comfortable to me?
Set and forget? :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hello.

Can anyone give me a recommendation of mousefeet for the mx518L, please? I had the original MX518 for years and preferred a lot the original 5 little feet, always worked fine, never wore out, never needed change and were not in the way to open the mouse. Now with the MX518L after few months of use the center (sensor) and the lateral feet literally fell and the glue was melted or something. Without the center one it was ok and I could use the mouse but when the other one fell, it became unusable. I tried to put that one back but it became scratchy, horrible. So I need new feet.

I even tried to put the MX518L inside the original MX518 but the screws location unfortunately isnt the same.

Please feet recommendation. Thanks

·
Registered
49 Posts

Just gonna casually necro this thread with notes for anyone trying to make a Frankenstein MX518. It actually works but some hand-fitting is required. I use a really old G400s. I've owned the MX518 for a while but like many posters I was never a huge fan of how it felt.

I had a spare (unlicensed/fake?) G400S I got from eBay for $10 so I decided to frankenstein the MX518. I bought this mouse for $40 and it's been sitting in a drawer, time to make it work.

-The scroll wheel assembly is mostly interchangeable with the exception of the middle click spring. The G400s uses a slightly longer spring (but it does mostly fit). I dropped in the fake G400s scroll wheel assembly and used the hero's shorter spring. Are the scroll wheels different enough to warrant swapping? I don't know man.

-The MX518 has a screw that helps retain or tensions the side buttons. The G400S part for this is all plastic.

-The bridges (things with the DPI buttons) have different openings. The G400s has a small opening for the cable. The MX518 has a huge opening for the stress relief cable it uses. You can't use the G400s bridge on the MX518 or the mouse won't close.

-I'm not a fan of these stress relief cables since they
A. Don't work worth a damn when the cables are this tiny, they stop working anyways
B. Slightly change how the mouse points
I repinned a G500 braided cable. They're my favorite cables, they work great when bungeed. Replacement cables don't need to be a perfect fit but if you'd like just use some tape.

-You can't drop the entire top shell of the G400s on top of the MX518, even if you swap some parts so they fit. The tolerances are different enough that the top strap stops making contact with the right click switches.

-You can swap the top straps to get non-glossy grips. Beware, this is not as simple as it seems. The G400S top strap uses an uppercase 'H' pattern to press the left/right switches while the MX518 strap uses squares. The tolerances are very slightly off. The G400S straps will work on the MX518 but you'll likely spend a lot of time tensioning the screws just right so the buttons work properly.

Protip: Try loosening the screws on the bridge if your straps keep getting stuck.

Costs:
eBay G400S: $10 + shipping probably
G500 cable: $5 at most
The mouse feet I'll inevitably have to buy: $5 probably

Next steps maybe:
-Gut everything in my current G400S, including the switches and put them in the MX518 maybe

Really hated the gloss, glad I can finally be rid of it.

2021 Update: Very happy with my modded mouse after breaking it in.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Hello.

Can anyone give me a recommendation of mousefeet for the mx518L, please? I had the original MX518 for years and preferred a lot the original 5 little feet, always worked fine, never wore out, never needed change and were not in the way to open the mouse. Now with the MX518L after few months of use the center (sensor) and the lateral feet literally fell and the glue was melted or something. Without the center one it was ok and I could use the mouse but when the other one fell, it became unusable. I tried to put that one back but it became scratchy, horrible. So I need new feet.

I even tried to put the MX518L inside the original MX518 but the screws location unfortunately isnt the same.

Please feet recommendation. Thanks

Dirty cheap, feet in the old style, gonna get some for myself too, as I'm getting 518hero this week myself, says for Intellimouse, but who cares, who wants to pay 8+ euro for 1 set, when you can get multiple sets for times cheaper, hah, also will take 10-18 days to get delivered

·
Registered
637 Posts
I'm lucky with my version that arrived today from Amazon:
-m1 and m2 buttons clicky and not like others mentioned above ^ - not loud at all, i think on par with g903, or g903 just slightly quieter, also as spammy as razer basilisk v2
-feet pretty even, not like mentioned above, haha, i even ordered 40 pieces of ie3.0 feet for later replacements
-sensor great, precise for aiming and strafing in quake live, tracks well on hybrid mousepad
-grip is good, if i don't focus on the right side curve i hated in g400, and focus on the game, then i can forget my beloved g402 shape
-cable feels fragile, but i set it up the way it's comfortable during games
-wheel click sound much better than g402 actually, wheel itself not underscrolling or overscrolling

Overall happy, really feel like i will be using it more often in fps games, will see how it goes in couple of months, think keeping it in my collection, logitech set of heavy mice is complete (lol):

·
Registered
936 Posts
My MX518, the Hero for 30 minutes of web browsing ..
Product batch 2018, if I do believe carton printing of Logitech copyrights?

After 30 minutes of use at web browsing, wheel rotation clicking feedback this is dead.
I do own two MX510 for ten years, I do the cleaning and service when needed, wheel rotation clicking feedback never failed.

Now I am obligated to start local RMA in two days, because I did not had the chance yet to test it at gaming.

·
Registered
49 Posts
After 30 minutes of use at web browsing, wheel rotation clicking feedback this is dead.
I do own two MX510 for ten years, I do the cleaning and service when needed, wheel rotation clicking feedback never failed.
Pretty unfortunate that you already started RMAing it, you could've fixed it if you really wanted to. Every mouse in this family uses a dead simple wheel and the parts are mostly the same. The spring probably slipped out of the groove.

In fact it's so simple I've literally bent my G400s's spring by hand to adjust the tension as the mouse got old.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Pretty unfortunate that you already started RMAing it, you could've fixed it if you really wanted to. Every mouse in this family uses a dead simple wheel and the parts are mostly the same. The spring probably slipped out of the groove.

In fact it's so simple I've literally bent my G400s's spring by hand to adjust the tension as the mouse got old.
Logitech has perform terrible product design modification, and screws are now foolish placed under mouse gliding pad.
Damage of gliding pad, at its mouse disassembly and replacement by new gliding pads, this is a good trickery so the Chinese to get richer.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Logitech has perform terrible product design modification, and screws are now foolish placed under mouse gliding pad.
I kinda agree, the skates never go back on properly 75% of the time but I've done it before. Just need to be very careful and maybe use a hairdryer.

Hotline Games/Tiger Gaming skates are about $8 for two sets and they don't flake like the stock feet. I'm currently using HG feet meant for a G400S, never replaced the center skates. If you need to open your mouse for servicing replacing the skates isn't a bad idea anyways.

You can find the 2005 MX518 with wide and dot skates so it's not a recent design change. Probably changed it to simplify production.

(picture I found on the internet)

·
Registered
936 Posts
You can find the 2005 MX518 with wide and dot skates so it's not a recent design change. Probably changed it to simplify production.
I have still stock of MX510 dot skates, but since the moment of me using high-end soft mouse pads, these never degrade.
2020~21 MX518 this uses wide skates, and therefore we are doomed. :(

Alternative solution this might be a precision hole cut directly under the screws.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Just had a quick read of all 34 pages, this is is a wish list topic, and I am one the first reporting structure failure in a new mouse.
Several pages back I found a picture of the crime scene.

Spring appears in higher diameter than what is used at MX510, this translate to additional hardness, but if this is bend or cut at wrong length by few mm, then it can get out of place.
Neither the pictured one this is properly installed.

661 - 677 of 677 Posts