Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 2100+(non oc'ed) is running at 52idle and 56load with the side door on and when i take it off it is about 46idle 48 load...i have two case fans and a ps that has two fans, one sucking in air and one pushing out.

the processor is set up with a speeze whisper rock and with arctic silver 5...the installation was pretty clean but i would be willing to do it over again if you guys think that could be part of the problem..

any help is appreciated !!!

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
Did you just apply AS5? If so, you should not overclock, and run at default for about 3 days straight, running Folding at Home or something else, Prime95 maybe. And then it should be ready.

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
you will need a few things to make this work

a cutting tool (holesaw, or dremmel)
a few fans

now to make the best air flow clean up your wires in there

I'm not sure if you have room for a bigger front fan if so cut it up and put in a 120mm unless you have room for another fan upthere

get your cutting tool and cut a hole on the side of your case try to put it as much over the cpu as possible when aligned

put a fan on the top of the case as a blowhole

120mm fans will do the best but they may be a little loud for your liking
this is where a fan controller comes in

but any old 80mm fan will work the main thing is you need some airflow in that case

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the advice guys but im really not looking to mod my case any further...ill see what i can do about cleaning up the wires and i could get a 120mm fan on the front butt i dont think its completely necessary...
soo are my temps (with the side door off) normal for my setup or are they still a little high? cus personally i still think it should be lower.

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
To hot!!!

low 30s idle is common, and never over 55c under load. Do eliminate the restrictions by routing the cables. The case air in flow is a big plus. Upping to a 120mm in the front as I did was well worth the time as was increasing hte rear 80 to a 92mm. I prefer large and quiet over same size and faster/louder. Also you can get more in the front if you dont have a front cover intake grill by either adding one or trimmng out the bottom unseen area of the cover. More air in and out is important in OCing. If the air is stagnant you won't improve your CPU temps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mmm...so if i was to fix up the case cooling a little bit more (even though i already keep the doors off and still get about 43c) you think that would lower my cpu temp to normal?

on a random note, i opened up a dell the other day and saw an interesting idea where there was a tube of plastic over the cpu fan routing the air directly into the rear case fans...does that really work? and could it be a plausible idea for me?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sombr3ro

mmm...so if i was to fix up the case cooling a little bit more (even though i already keep the doors off and still get about 43c) you think that would lower my cpu temp to normal?

on a random note, i opened up a dell the other day and saw an interesting idea where there was a tube of plastic over the cpu fan routing the air directly into the rear case fans...does that really work? and could it be a plausible idea for me?

What heatsink and fan are you using now?

What are your case temps?

Like others have said, I would reapply the thermal compound. Use just enough to cover the cpu core. If using AS5, apply only to the cpu core and not to both the core and the heatsink bottom. Avoid sliding the heatsink around on the cpu core when you are seating and fastening it to the socket. This can rub off the thermal compound.

Yes, the tube going from the outside directly to the cpu fan is a very effective mod. I'm using that on my puter, except I have it going straight out the side. No extra fan, just the cpu fan drawing in fresh air from the outside. This can actually give you a little cooler temps than even having the case side off as when you have the case side off the cpu fan is not completely seperated from the air that has already been warmed by the heatsink and other components nearby. I also recently installed two 80mm fans in the case top and it dropped my case temps by 3 degrees C. I am planning to put a 120mm fan in the front (only have an 80mm now) soon and I'm sure that will drop temps even more as a 120mm fan moves almost 3X the air an 80mm fan does at the same rpms. Here's a pic. Note that I coated the tumbe with aluminum foils to reflect heat inside the case:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have the same hs/fan you do, the speeze whisper rock..again not oc'ed and with as5...and i did apply the paste as stated but i did slide the fan around a bit when putting it on...seems it may be worth it after all to reapply

·
^^That's my user name^^
9,931 Posts
well, i'm late to reply to this...
1. check to see if your whisperrock fan is running(and plugged in to the mobo..) or return it and get the whisperrock II(check my temp specs)
2. take everything apart in the case,label all of it, vacuuming everything, re-install everything(HARDWARE ONLY), and boot it up.
3. take your cpu out and leave it somewhere where it can avoid stack, while not attached to anything for about 1 hour. then re-install
if none of this works, call speeze/masscool.

·
Registered
42 Posts
H'lo

One thing which I rarely find people mentioning is one's geographical location and climate. Someone in hot region is going to have higher case/CPU temps than someone living in a colder area. That is, without taking specific additional measures, of course.

Serious cooling will be required if one aims to push things to the limit. But if you're in a warm region and your PC is stable with max CPU temps of 56C, then no need for concern IMO.

sombr3ro: whereabouts are you based and what are the external temperatures like there? I'm in South Africa, with summer currently here, which means minimum/maximum temperatures between 20 and 32 degrees Celsius. With minimal additional cooling, my CPU goes from about 42 idle to 50 load/max (that's with a 10% o/c on my CPU and RAM).

That said, it would only help to improve the internal airflow by tidying up the cabling - the more PSU wires and drive cables are tied out of the way, the more cool air can reash your components! It also shouldn't require any modification to add an intake and/or exhaust fan (depending on your case design). If these steps are taken with reasonable care, you should see a drop of 5degrees.

Once this is out of the way and you're still concerned about your temps and are willing to looking into modding, then consider a making topside exhaust and a ducted sidepanel intake for your CPU.

·
Banned
2,222 Posts
sounds like a simple case of a crappy HSF, get an ALX800 and a high CFM 80mm fan, that should sort things out.

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ket

sounds like a simple case of a crappy HSF, get an ALX800 and a high CFM 80mm fan, that should sort things out.

I think some cpu's are damn hot too... Like the XP1900 on my second computer, I've even tryed a volcano 12 on this thing and it's still hot as heck, I think it's a flaw on the cpu or something, it runs fine though.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil XP2400

I think some cpu's are damn hot too... Like the XP1900 on my second computer, I've even tryed a volcano 12 on this thing and it's still hot as heck, I think it's a flaw on the cpu or something, it runs fine though.

I had that same problem and I fixed it by getting a fan that was WAY overrated for my CPU. I currently only use Thermaltake Extreme 12+'s (the ones for the 3200's on all of my processors, even my crappy old 1400. Make sure it's a copper core one. I've used non-copper core fans before and my CPU temps went through the roof on my athlons. Copper displaces heat the best for the money and most of the heat on an athlon CPU is concentrated in one tiny location with very poor dissipation on the chip itself. I run around high 20's on load with my 300's OC'd to around 2.31....

another possibility is that you have a burn chip as I call them. Some athlons can actually run much hotter than others if it tests out too low but still within specs. This occurs in any Pre-barton chip. When they make chips subtle diffrences in manufacturing can produce a chip that runs stable at normal loads, but is only a hair away from a meltdown. It sounds like your 2100+ is performing as if it were a slower processor OC'd to BE a 2100. Original athlons were nothing more than this with diffrent packaging. They would simply increase the internal multiplier and sell it as a faster chip. It's possible you just got a bad chip. I've had one that ran at nearly fatal 78 with no load... it happens.

·
Banned
2,222 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil XP2400

that'll be a Palomino cored XP, they did run hot by default.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts