Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this thing 2 and half years ago and it just went RRoD, I went to the XBox.com website to setup my repairs and it told me that my warranty is expired. They want to charge me $100 to fix my xbox, which I damn sure am not going to pay. Any one else have experience with this?

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I thought the warranty was extended to 3 years?
If yours only had a 1 year warranty I'd complain lots to Microsoft about it and try to get a free repair. Otherwise I don't know you could try some of those temporary fixes like replacing thermal paste on the CPU/GPU bits in the xbox or wrapping it in a towel to resolder stuff and hope that gives you a little more gaming

·
Registered
366 Posts
The rrod should be a lifetime warranty. It is a design flaw of the 360 and they are screwing people demanding $100 to fix their messup.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Yea the warranty was extended by three years cause of the rrod issue, just call them up, if they don't listen, call up again till you find a dude who listens. If none of them don't you gotta start arguin. I remember when I had to do it, the guy was a douche, I had 4 links open clearly stating that my issue was under the extended warranty status and I finally got to talk to his manager who gave me the free repair.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
My 360 has RRod'd three times, which were all under warranty and covered. But last month my 360s video went out and i could not figure out what was going on. Bought a new cable and the issue was still there. I contacted MS about it and they wanted 100$ to fix it. So i printed off the shipping label and mailed it to them and they sent it back fixed.
Without charging me 100 bones for it. But yes, i have experienced this and yes, I am happy with MS and their support on my console.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by anthony92
View Post

i say sell ur xbox on ebay for $150+ with everythink go out any buy a new one.

Or you can take the two minutes to call and find out what I found out when mine RRoD'ed.

On the Xbox website it clearly states "Standard Warranty status: Expired." This would be referring to the 90 day warranty that MS gives you on any issue. The RRoD warranty is extended to 3 years from the date of purchase for ALL Xbox 360's and that is not shown on the Xbox website. So simply call them, explain your problem and they will email you a shipping label. Find a box, ship it out and wait a couple weeks (i had to only wait 5 days) and voila! You have a new Xbox (MS gave up on refurbishing Xbox's, they decided to just hand out new ones
)

I'd suggest you don't do the online fix thing, you're just better off calling in and getting it done.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hydraulic
View Post

So i printed off the shipping label and mailed it to them and they sent it back fixed.
Without charging me 100 bones for it.

I did the exact same thing. They don't check the XBox before they send you a refurbed one.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by zidave
View Post

I did the exact same thing. They don't check the XBox before they send you a refurbed one.

Yes, MS does check the Xbox. My neighbour sent in his Xbox which was still under the 3 year warranty and before sending it in, he went to a black market store where they opened up his Xbox but couldn't do anything because his whole mobo was fried. But in the process of doing that, they also voided the warranty. So MS called him and said they will replace his Xbox for $100, despite the fact that it would have been under the 3 year warranty had he not opened it.

I have no clue how they do this and find out when your Xbox was bought, because mine was the exact date I bought it. You would think it's the date MS shipped out to the store is the day that they would have any way of tracking when the warranty begins.

But anyways, refer to my previous post. As I stated, the warranty stated on the Xbox.com site is the Standard 90 Day you have when you first buy your Xbox. The additional 3 year warranty covering only the general hardware failure (RRoD) and e74 error is considered a secondary warranty put on all 360's.

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I called them yesterday, they said they would replace it for free and e-mailed me a shipping label. I did have to provide me own box though. Now I have to wait, but honestly it's no biggie since I mostly used it as a DVD player.

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,225 Posts
I can fix it for you for 50 bucks. All I need to know is the error code. Do you know how to get that?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts