Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past 1 year and almost a half, I've been having issues with my brand new PC where it continually gets laggier and laggier in a game and makes certain games unplayable, for example, mid round in a coh2 game.

I'm no PC whiz so I hire professionals to diagnose and fix these sorts of things, and they said my chip is actually defective which would explain a lot considering I was sure it was something hardware related, either CPU, MoBo, or RAM.

Now I'm at a crossroads, I'm most definitely sending the chip back into Intel for a replacement under the 3 year warranty. With so much downtime for the PC while I would be waiting for Intel to send me my new chip, shouldn't I consider upgrading to DDR4 Ram, DDR4 Mobo, and a new Intel chip that's better than my 4790k?

I still have the original boxes for the old components so I can easily sell these off on ebay.

What would the consensus on overclock.net be should I do?

·
I miss my OCN!!
2,196 Posts
1150 boards only accept DDR3 Disregard, see you saying about just getting out of the whole set. I personally love my 4790k but I have no issues with it and run her at 5.0 ghz.

·
Da Boss
1,895 Posts
What's more important to you? Time or Money?

It will cost you time to send it in and get it replaced but little to no money.
It will cost you money to upgrade to Skylake. That's DDR4, 170 series board, and CPU.

This is the exact reason why I still have my Phenom II 955 system laying around. I can still game fairly well while my main is getting serviced.

·
Registered
978 Posts
CPUs rarely fail and cause the kind of problem that you are describing.

What you need to do is run some monitoring software while you are using your computer so you have an exact record of what your CPU is doing when it is lagging. Speed and temperature are the two most important things that need to be monitored.

If the person that assembled your computer did not install the CPU heatsink properly or it has become loose because your computer was moved or bumped; that could cause the problem that you are having. The CPU would heat up until it reached the thermal throttling temperature, it would then gradually slow down and your computer would run slower and slower. Intel designs their CPUs so they can run for hours or months, right at the throttling temperature and unless you are monitoring the CPU core temperature, you might not be aware that it is throttling. The hotter it tries to get, the more time the CPU is going to spend running at 800 MHz instead of running at its full rated speed.

The computer professionals you hired might be fresh out of high school. They might be experts at playing video games but they might not have the smarts or experience to properly troubleshoot a computer problem like you are having. Don't waste Intel's time with a return until you do some proper testing yourself.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts