Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't for the life of me figure out why my Samsung 4k tv is not upscaling bluray movies but it will upscale everything else from hd cable, netflix and xbox one games. Can anyone give me any clues to why this is happening? I still have black bars on the bottom and the top of the screen for bluray movies. I really don't understand this as everything else gets upscaled and the screen gets filled out.

·
PC Enthusiast
3,510 Posts
Movies played on your TV does not reach any edges, when viewing from the xbox?

Top and bottomn black bars are normal on most movies.

If it isnt upscaling, then only 1/4 of the screen would be filled.

A picture would help

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, black bars on the bottom and top and it does reach the edges. Let me try to get a picture and post it.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My cables are all 4k compatible and what not. If it was the cable then my games on the xbox one and other sources wouldn't upscale either.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJacobs28 View Post

That just looks like a 21:9 movie being displayed on a 16:9 panel - am I missing something?
If the image filled the screen vertically you would lose the edges of the movie.
I think you're right with the 21:9. Same thing with ultra wide monitors at 21:9 ratio. I think with upscaling that it doesn't matter what ratio it is since it fills in that area, i could be wrong.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The only thing is i watch movies on netflix shot in 21:9 ratio and the entire screen is filled, so that's why am kinda scratching my head. I have to be missing something

·
Registered
482 Posts
It might help to ignore the resolution of the content and television.
All you're seeing is a mismatch between the aspect ratio of the content and the aspect ratio of the television.

For example, download 21:9 wallpaper (Good Example} and set it as the wallpaper on your PC monitor. Play around with the 'Fill', 'Fit' and 'Stretch' options to get an idea of what is going on.

·
Registered
482 Posts
FILL - I'd hazard a guess that this is what Netflix is doing in your case. Note that the edges of the content are lost.

FIT - This is what you Blu-ray is doing - default behaviour for any content with a wider aspect ratio than the display.

STRETCH - This is filling the display with all of the content but the mismatch in aspect ratio creates a nasty stretching effect.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts