Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, thanks to everyone here for sharing their builds and knowledge, you all made this so much easier to do!

Without further ado, here it is.

Starting Point, Stock cooler, yuck!

Pile o' parts

Lower drive bays removed, ready to cut opening for EX240 rad.

240 mounted

Naked video card
tongue.gif

Ram sinks and GPU block installed
thumb.gif

Garbage!

The beating heart of the beast

Cpu and RAM blocks mounted
biggrin.gif

Res and fan controller

What's this for?
biggrin.gif

This!

Much cursing later, time for filling and leak testing!!

Up and running!!!

Res with Mayhems blue dye, kill coil, and a blue led underneath for effect

EK Bridge

One more shot

Thats all for now. The Gpus and Cpu idle around 38 degrees with fans set to 750 RPM and load at 65 for Cpu and 48 for Gpus at stock clocks, with pump set at 23% duty and fans maxed at 1440 rpm.

In the coming weeks I plan on cleaning up the wiring and polishing/clear coating the copper tubing. That and I'm drooling at and Aquacomputer Aquero setup, but for now my wallet hurts so some recovery is needed!
rolleyes.gif

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Man! Impressive work with the copper pipes
thumb.gif
Didn`know that this is legal
biggrin.gif

But looks very sweet and robust. God job sir!

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
that is beautiful!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNOE View Post

Does the copper help convect heat ?
A little bit I assume, but I doubt enough to really make a difference in my temps. I mostly did it for the challenge and looks. I had never bent copper tube before, so for every pipe in the pc I bet I had two more bent up that went wrong.
rolleyes.gif

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Forgot pics of the drain port!
It's mounted in the front of the case, bottom left and hidden behind the front panel. I used a bulkhead fitting and can thread in a hose barb with hose running to a bucket, super easy!

Anyone drill and tap a fill port into an XSPC bay res, or know of a way to replace the stock cap for this? I have another bulkhead fitting and tube for a fill port but didn't realize the top wasn't a G1/4 on this res
mad.gif

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Nice work. I am about to mod my 800D with copper piping too. That's 12mm? Where did you get the tubing. When you cut it, you had to sand down the edges right?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMC View Post

Nice work. I am about to mod my 800D with copper piping too. That's 12mm? Where did you get the tubing. When you cut it, you had to sand down the edges right?
It is 12mm OD. I ordered it from coppertubingsales.com, they sell it in 10 meter coils for around $100 shipped, and I used most of it as I had more than a few screwups. I used a grinding drum and wire wheel on my Dremel to sand the edges down. If you dont the sharp edges will ruin the orings in the fittings. Also I used a Draper tubing bender part #72376 that came from ebay via the UK. I had to sand/grind some imperfections off the mandrels that were scratching the tubing pretty bad, but after that it worked great.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychosis5150 View Post

It is 12mm OD. I ordered it from coppertubingsales.com, they sell it in 10 meter coils for around $100 shipped, and I used most of it as I had more than a few screwups. I used a grinding drum and wire wheel on my Dremel to sand the edges down. If you dont the sharp edges will ruin the orings in the fittings. Also I used a Draper tubing bender part #72376 that came from ebay via the UK. I had to sand/grind some imperfections off the mandrels that were scratching the tubing pretty bad, but after that it worked great.
Thank you very much. Rep for you sir. I will be doing this after painting my 800D
biggrin.gif
. I will most likely contact you
smile.gif

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMC View Post

Thank you very much. Rep for you sir. I will be doing this after painting my 800D
biggrin.gif
. I will most likely contact you
smile.gif
You're welcome and good luck! Keep in mind that the bends you see are as tight as they get. I had envisioned them much tighter and closer to the blocks but the bender kinda ovals the tube along the bend. Also a few spare fittings for test fitting and possible leaks are very helpful. I had one leak at the top of the crossfire bridge and also cut the tube from the lower bulkhead to the lower rad too short and it would pop out when the case flexed while moving it. A quick rebend fixed it though, but I plan on draining the loop before moving the case in the future just to be safe.
wink.gif

·
MegaTechPC
19,220 Posts
OMG that rig looks amazing! I wish I could do copper pipes but that seems way too ambitious for me to try on my first W/C setup....

1 - 20 of 119 Posts