Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I though I'd put a thread here on OCN as well, as I bet you guys are more likely to solve my issue. No offense to LTT.
Quote:
I've been away a lot and busy, but I thought I'd stop by and ask what the hell is up with my first 970 on my folding rig? (reference, no OC)
I just don't have the time to solve it myself.
I install [email protected], it does 1 or 2 god damn core 17 WUs, and only gets about 50k PPD while doing it. Then it switches to core 18 and gets less than 25k PPD at best, sometimes it get less than 1k. I have to re-install to even get core 17 to work again.
Something aint right, I can run games while folding at full power. Shouldn't it be using like absolutely 100% of the GPU? IDK I have it set to be at full power.
Thanks.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
I haven't a clue but the title was just too good. I had visions of someone only partially successful at folding thier video card in half.

·
Premium Member
11,452 Posts
With an attitude like that, I wouldn't be surprised if people don't help.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman811 View Post

With an attitude like that, I wouldn't be surprised if people don't help.
Sorry, I'm not trying to come off as rude, but I spent like close to 400$ on this card for folding, and I'm not gonna be here long. In a rush and frustrated. Even with core 17 WU's it's not nearly working right.

And on LTT I notice if you ask a folding question, they say leave it and it'll fix itself. As if 9k a day is right for a 970.

People will help, but I'm trying to eliminate that crap to save time. It'll be a week before it gets solved at that point. I should've taken that part out for OCN

I just want this thing to crank out as much as it can so I can feel confident buying another 970 for folding, set and forget.
It's been a rough week, and I come home to find out this thing has bascailly been sitting here wasting power. Well, not much since its Maxwell but still

·
Premium Member
11,452 Posts
If you want to completely avoid core 18 and core 15 units, the only true way is to hop on the Linux train.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

If you want to completely avoid core 18 and core 15 units, the only true way is to hop on the Linux train.
Thanks for the suggestion

18 and 15 don't work on linux or is there a linux specific way to prevent them?

I'm go for that actually, but I still had an issue with it not being used at 100% even on core 17 (bot 50k per day, and not full usage)

It's still worth a try though it may just be a windows related problem for some reason. Problem is for now I'm folding on my main PC until I buy another 970 to fold on 24-7. I guess I could just use an old GPU for now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bombastinator View Post

I feel you. Whatever you do though don't go folding your video card in half. It may feel good, but it won't help.
you a re still on that...
that made me giggle a bit
it's reference and it's surprisingly beefy, I doubt I could do that XD

·
Premium Member
11,452 Posts
Linux is only able to get Core 17 units for GPUs. How long ago did you start folding, do you have a passkey, is all of your information entered correctly/properly?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Linux is only able to get Core 17 units for GPUs. How long ago did you start folding, do you have a passkey, is all of your information entered correctly/properly?
I've been trying for like 5 days to see if the ppd would level out, and it switched to core 18 for some reason. Tried for a day after that on core 18. I have a passkey, and the first try was on my old setup with AMD cards that worked fine.

I started clean with a new version and double checked everything. As for the core 18 WUs I guess a few people have been complaining that's all they seem to get, and they don't playy nice with maxwell I'm told. But the core 17 problem...idk...whatever is causing the low PPD I bet it's two separate issues.

I'm not into folding much and have little experience with it, and that's why I'm having issues. I'm trying to get into it more

·
Premium Member
11,452 Posts
Have you been pausing units for extended periods of time so that they are past their deadline, and in turn lose the QRB? If not, my next guess is that you are failing units enough of the way through that you do get some points, because of a partial submission. If it isn't those then I will try to help further when I wake up.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Have you been pausing units for extended periods of time so that they are past their deadline, and in turn lose the QRB? If not, my next guess is that you are failing units enough of the way through that you do get some points, because of a partial submission. If it isn't those then I will try to help further when I wake up.
I don't believe that' s the issue, but I just installed a new NVIDIA driver (went from 344.soemthing to 347.soemthing ), and it's already estimated 54k PPD on core 18. I'm gonna leave it overnight and see where I am. I'm optimistic because while core 18 has issues with maxwell, I notice the usage it at 93-100%, more clsoe to 98-100 most of the time. It's not like locking up my screen like I thought it should like it did with mining or [email protected] on amd cards, but I'm probably configuring something wrong. It's set to full but idk
I'll try linux later tomorrow if it doesn't work out/ I get no core 17 WUs.

Thanks for the help so far, knowing about no core 18 in linux is a big help

·
Fluffy Fennec Foxes!
10,530 Posts
Are you folding on any other hardware in the same system such as your cpu? Nvidia gpu folding requires one thread deducated to it, so if you're folding on a 4770k (or other hyperthreading quad core) you need to set the cpu to six threads as the initial auto config won't always do this. You'd set six instead of seven because the cpu work units get cranky with odd amounts/numbers of threads after 3, and usually cranky enough to crash.

Dman aleady mentioned passkeys, which seem to be a common enough occurrence that its become one of the first questions for low ppd output troubleshooting ^-^

Another culprit can be web browsers. Are you leaving one up when you walk away from the computer? My 980 goes from 383-387k PPD with Chrome up (amount of tabs doesn't appear to affect this, just the program being up) to 393-400k with Chrome closed. That's a 980 boosting to 1512MHz or so, and with p9201 work units (they're a core 17).

Are you going by the client's listed ppd, or a program such as hfm.net? Client can take 5-10% or so into a work unit before being reasonably accurate for ppd, whereas hfm is usually more or less bang on accurate after the first 1-2%.

Are you playing any games while folding? Folding plus gaming at the same time on the same card usually doesn't work out too well, but some games like Hearthstone usually play okay-ish with a moderate hit to ppd. At least it did on my 780 several months ago. Still too a 25k ppd hit though. Just asking out of wanting to be thorough ^-^

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWulfe View Post

Are you folding on any other hardware in the same system such as your cpu? Nvidia gpu folding requires one thread deducated to it, so if you're folding on a 4770k (or other hyperthreading quad core) you need to set the cpu to six threads as the initial auto config won't always do this. You'd set six instead of seven because the cpu work units get cranky with odd amounts/numbers of threads after 3, and usually cranky enough to crash.

Dman aleady mentioned passkeys, which seem to be a common enough occurrence that its become one of the first questions for low ppd output troubleshooting ^-^

Another culprit can be web browsers. Are you leaving one up when you walk away from the computer? My 980 goes from 383-387k PPD with Chrome up (amount of tabs doesn't appear to affect this, just the program being up) to 393-400k with Chrome closed. That's a 980 boosting to 1512MHz or so, and with p9201 work units (they're a core 17).

Are you going by the client's listed ppd, or a program such as hfm.net? Client can take 5-10% or so into a work unit before being reasonably accurate for ppd, whereas hfm is usually more or less bang on accurate after the first 1-2%.

Are you playing any games while folding? Folding plus gaming at the same time on the same card usually doesn't work out too well, but some games like Hearthstone usually play okay-ish with a moderate hit to ppd. At least it did on my 780 several months ago. Still too a 25k ppd hit though. Just asking out of wanting to be thorough ^-^
Well I'm not CPU folding. The system I have this GPU running in currently is a sandy i7 based one, but I will switch it too an old AMD quad core when I get more GPUs. (The motherboard I have for it is great)
I'm well aware of the CPU side of this for NVIDIA folding.

I try to close crap, but I didn't really think it had an impact. Nice to know, and I don't see that's a problem in the future when I switch to a dedicated folding machine.

The games was an accident that I had folding start after I put the GPU in the system. It can still game while folding when I thought folding was supposed to lock it up mostly.
Here's an update from my LTT thread
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobben
what's your TPF on the core 17 wu's? and what is your gpu utilization like?
it should be 90%+ and somewhat stable, i will assume that you have remembered
to enter a correct and valid passkey so you are not just receiving the base credit.
You should see that in your client under estimated credit, whether it assumes you[/size]
will get QRBor just the base credit.

And are you sure you are actually finishing the wu's and not failing ? considering i
can'tsee any wu's recently uploaded by you. [snip]
Well the games thing was just abnormal, and an accident I forgot to stop folding. It was only using about half the gpu power and not taking priority despite being set to do so, even in windows. The utilization was 90+ like normal, but the computer was usable, not right really.
Now it's usable but wont even play videos, so I have progress in the right direction for usage. My numbers are much better on core 17.

I now have a random core 17 WU, and with some driver work it is now at like 2 mins 14 secs tpf, and the PPD seems to more reflect my GPU on startup, above 200k (but I expect it to be better over time)
Core 18 still blows when I get them, a driver issue on NVIDIAs part that as far as I'm aware has not been fix yet.

On OCN they suggested to run linux to get only core 17 if that's what I wanted, as core 18 and 15 apparently don't work on linux.

Not all of my folding is done under Syntaxvgm btw, but I am starting it now.
I don't expect any failed WUs, but I'll keep an eye on my log. I have no overclocks.
So now mostly working. My numbers look good so far and should even out on core 17. Core 18 of course is a Maxwell driver problem, and I'll try linux soon for all core 17

·
Premium Member
11,452 Posts
It isn't really so much a driver problem as it is more of a screw up with the core coding not corresponding too well with the Maxwell GPU on the cards. I've seen Maxwell cards with Hynix memory perform better than ones with Elpida on the same exact R,C,G and at the exact same clocks, and everything.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts