Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Im new to the forums but I have been reading around and people seem helpful here. I was wondering if anyone could help me choose my amd procceser, most other parts of my system are ready to order and I already have the mobo. Anyways here are my future system specs.

Cpu: ? Help ?
Mobo: DFI Lan Party nf4 SLI-DR
Ram: OCZ Titanium 2GB (2 x 1GB)
Harddrive: Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000 RPM
Video Card: eVGA Geforce 7800GT 256MB
Heatsink: Big Typhoon
PSU: OCZ PowerStream 520W

Ok thats my basic system. Here are a list of CPU's I was looking at.

AMD Opteron 170 Denmark OEM(Most I can Spend on a cpu is within the range of this)
Amd Opteron 165 (Heard this OC decently but has 9x multiplier)
Amd Opteron 150 Venus (2.4ghz same l2 cashe, Not many people have these, 4$ more for a dual core, although you do get a solid 2.4ghz b4 OC)
Amd Opteron 148 (Some get up to 3 ghz and run stable and have had them running stable for over 6 months, I would be afraid to get a bad stepping though,)

Please post what OC you think I could get with my setup on these CPU's.

Thanks Loads~Dr_1337

·
Professional Lurker
74 Posts
I persoanlly say go for the 148. None of today's games are multithreaded, so the dual core doesn't mean much unless you do a lot of video editing or stuff like that. The 148 can get you to 3gHz with proper cooling and a board/ram that can handle the overclock. Just make sure your ram will do 270mHz or so if you want to get close to 3gHz, since there's no increasing the clock multiplier with the Opterons.

Hope this helps

-Aaron

·
Registered
11 Posts
i have a 4400+ and the performance is great, depending on how much you want to spend the 4400+ could be a little pricey for some, even upwards with the 4800
My brother has a 3800 x2 and oced it to 2.75, great performance he says diff core then mine its also cheaper then the 4400

but i would suggest a dual core considering all of the future games..etc are going to be supporting dual core, and even most of the current games are updating

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey thanks for the replies, I am leaning towards dual opteron but not sure what one. I will overclock down the line, probably when my warranty runs out or I feel a real urge for speed. I think I have a decent setup, if anyone has an idea of what I could reach OCing with the 165 and 170. Do stepping orders matter for the dual opterons ? Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just found out its only 70$ more for the 170 then the 165... Now I have to find what one will OC better...

Does anyone know what 1 (between the 165 and the 170) will overclock better???

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
well I was looking at the 165's last night... thinking about getting one but decided I didn't want to spend the extra 100 and got a 148. the current 165's are hitting 2.8 or so which is a really nice oc... that's like 2 fx57's.

I'd say save your money and go w/ a 165. they'll probably both clock to about the same frequency it's just a matter of what multi you want. the 170 will make it a bit easier as you won't have to clock the htt up quite so high to get the full benefits. But if you have good RAM (you may want to get some better stuff) and your mobo can handle high htt so you should be alright w/ the 165

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
You are on the right track and your setup looks good and expensive..
Couple questions....
What will you be using the processor for? gaming, multitasking, websurfing, etc?
And what is your budget for your system you want to spend?

I can give you the best options if I know these answers.....also, I could save you a hundred or so....I see a thing or two I would consider changing..

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
tytlyf I will be using for gaming, websurfing, multitasking and homework. 1800 + or - within 100 $ of that range. thx

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
1800 bucks, we are talkin USD i hope....well, that's alot of money for a system..
looks like down the road you want to buy another 7800GT....I will set you up with an excellent system and others can critique it...but right now, I'm not in the right frame of mind...I haven't been around for 2 nights...new RAID config driving me nuts....
I will post back with the results...no rush..

·
^^That's my user name^^
9,917 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr_1337

tytlf please post the system...

I'll set one up now.

·
Premium Member
5,332 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr_1337

Hey Im new to the forums but I have been reading around and people seem helpful here. I was wondering if anyone could help me choose my amd procceser, most other parts of my system are ready to order and I already have the mobo. Anyways here are my future system specs.

Cpu: ? Help ?
Mobo: DFI Lan Party nf4 SLI-DR
Ram: OCZ Titanium 2GB (2 x 1GB)
Harddrive: Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000 RPM
Video Card: eVGA Geforce 7800GT 256MB
Heatsink: Big Typhoon
PSU: OCZ PowerStream 520W

Ok thats my basic system. Here are a list of CPU's I was looking at.

AMD Opteron 170 Denmark OEM(Most I can Spend on a cpu is within the range of this)
Amd Opteron 165 (Heard this OC decently but has 9x multiplier)
Amd Opteron 150 Venus (2.4ghz same l2 cashe, Not many people have these, 4$ more for a dual core, although you do get a solid 2.4ghz b4 OC)
Amd Opteron 148 (Some get up to 3 ghz and run stable and have had them running stable for over 6 months, I would be afraid to get a bad stepping though,)

Please post what OC you think I could get with my setup on these CPU's.

Thanks Loads~Dr_1337

I have heard alot of good things about the 170 Denmark.

·
^^That's my user name^^
9,917 Posts
sorry... something just came up. I can't do it right now, but I will try my best to do it today.

·
^^That's my user name^^
9,917 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts