Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a amd x2 4400, and a radion x1800.

i used the superpi test and finished the test in a slow 1 min and something. It takes me 3 seconds or so to finish one loop. a budd of mine has a amd + 3200 single core and he can do it in about 30 seconds. Something is not set on my CPU to make it work the best it can. I dont want to resort to overclocking.

i know my cpu has more potential and power, but something is keeping it locked up.

what is the problem and how can i fix it. Thx in advance.

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=63916

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
thats a horrible time, something is wrong, or your memory is running at 28mhz, lol. For your speed you should be getting around 40 seconds in the superpi, unfortunately superpi only uses one core....Make sure cool n quiet is disabled in the bios..

·
Registered
688 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by yosh

I heard that XP doesn't use L2 Cache by default, is this true? Do we have to enable it? Because I would of thought most users wouldn't think to do that.

http://www.cyberiapc.com/forums/inde...showtopic=3561

Not True:
" L2 Cache Tweak

Alias - SecondLevelDataCache Tweak

Myth - "Adjusting the SecondLevelDataCache Registry value to match your CPU's L2 Cache size improves performance."

Reality - "If you do not set this registry value, Windows will use the HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer) for retrieval of the L2 cache size automatically on boot up. If this fails, a default value of 256KB is used. This is where the myth that XP can only use 256KB of L2 cache comes from. But it's false. The SecondLevelDataCache is designed as a secondary source of cache size information for computers on which the HAL cannot detect the L2 cache. The HAL is able to retrieve the L2 cache size from any CPU using the set-associative cache design (Pentium II or newer), it's only the relatively few older processors with direct-mapped L2 caches that the HAL will not recognize. This tweak only applies to older computers (Pentium I or older) with over 64 MB of memory. On these older systems, this tweak can improve performance by about 0.4%. Pentium II and later CPUs are not affected." - Source"

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/SupportCD/XPMyths.html

·
Registered
8 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluecow003

Not True:
" L2 Cache Tweak

Alias - SecondLevelDataCache Tweak

Myth - "Adjusting the SecondLevelDataCache Registry value to match your CPU's L2 Cache size improves performance."

Reality - "If you do not set this registry value, Windows will use the HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer) for retrieval of the L2 cache size automatically on boot up. If this fails, a default value of 256KB is used. This is where the myth that XP can only use 256KB of L2 cache comes from. But it's false. The SecondLevelDataCache is designed as a secondary source of cache size information for computers on which the HAL cannot detect the L2 cache. The HAL is able to retrieve the L2 cache size from any CPU using the set-associative cache design (Pentium II or newer), it's only the relatively few older processors with direct-mapped L2 caches that the HAL will not recognize. This tweak only applies to older computers (Pentium I or older) with over 64 MB of memory. On these older systems, this tweak can improve performance by about 0.4%. Pentium II and later CPUs are not affected." - Source"

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/SupportCD/XPMyths.html

phew

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i looked and looked for l2 or external cache in my bios and i cant seem to find it. Which subheading is it located under? i looked thorougly and couldnt find anything.

also, how do i turn on or off cool and quiet and why should this be turned off.

Ps: any more info on how i can fix this would be greatly appreciated. What might be the problem... I also redid the test for super pi, i got 1 min and 3 sec for 1 M...

·
Registered
688 Posts
I wouldn't worry all that much about the Cool and Quiet. All it does is monitor and control the fan speed with respect to how much the processor is being worked. Turn it off if you want, just make sure the fan on your heatsink runs at full speed all the time.

Anyway, when you're in windows do the CTRL+ALT+delete thing and check all the processes that are running. Make sure nothing is over-using your CPU. When you're just sitting there your CPU usage should be zero to 2%.

Also, put in your system specs in your profile so we can see all the parts you're using. It's under your User CP at the top of the forum page.

Have you tried SiSoftware Sandra 2005? Try benchmarking your CPU in that.

·
Registered
897 Posts
First, fill out your system specs in the User CP. Maybe we'll find something else wrong.

Second, cool'n'quiet was build by AMD to lower the HTT(FSB in Intel terms) to save energy and not create so much heat. Problem is, when you lower your HTT, you lower your performance. There should be an option in the BIOS that allows you to disable cool'n'quiet.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well i jsut did a sandra bencmark and it even said some of the numbers should be higher. I dont reallly understand it though....

I made my specs so it can help u out.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I don't know much about dual core, but what kind of BIOS are you running? Last I read, you had to have a special BIOS to run a dual core CPU.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Not necessarily a special bios, but is your bios updated? I know some mobo manufacturers did have a bios update to recognize the second core. The processor still worked before, but the second core wasn't being recognized until after an update of the bios.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JoMaMaz

Not necessarily a special bios, but is your bios updated? I know some mobo manufacturers did have a bios update to recognize the second core. The processor still worked before, but the second core wasn't being recognized until after an update of the bios.

I had to update my bios just to have it recognize my Opteron. Most definitely would have to update it for a dual-core...

·
Premium Member
8,427 Posts
Yes you will have to reset all your settings but it's really not a big deal. Should only take you two minutes.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Also get the AMD drivers for it..A bios update is almost mandatory unless you look in task manager and see 2 cpu graphs and in device manager and see it listed a a multi Cpu system...

Or even check stsyem tools system information it will show both cores as 2 seperate chips

1 - 20 of 37 Posts