Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Almost every time AVG finds that some exe has a virus in it I get that classic message:

'windows cannot delete whatever please make sure the disk is not write protected or the file is not in use blah blah blah blah blah'

And every time that happens, I write a little program that just deletes the file or directory and gets it off my system without even going to the recycle bin.

Today I decided to put a GUI on it and have it let you browse for the file to delete, and now I'm making it first available to the members of Overclock.net

After you run it, you browse for the file you want to delete, and whabam...it deltes the file nomatter what process is using it or if it is write protected.

Download Brute Force Deleter V1 -about 980KB

So now just use this instead of fretting over how to get rid of spyware/viruses

·
Registered
712 Posts
I just boot to a knoppix CD and delete the files I know are infected.

·
Premium Member
13,104 Posts
nice work man

·
Premium Member
8,208 Posts
you can't delete a file that's in use, that's why you're getting that error. hit ctrl+alt+del go to the process tab and close that program. once it's closed then delete it, easy as pie.... unless you get one of those files that opens back up automatically, then just reboot in safe mode and delete it there.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's happened before that it wasn't a running process...

Like I had a nocd crack (really a virus that AVG caught) that did that and it didn't show up as a process (just like many viruses)

Also, a long time ago i had a plain old folder with 1 spyware DLL (DLL's can't do anything without a program and can't be processes) which also refused to delete.

btw, esc exits the prog...there is no 'X' on the window.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Not to derail the thread or anything, but try Avast Antivirus
Reg it once, they send reg code though E-mail, free and frequent VDB updates.

I like it alot, I had AVG and decided to switch.
It seems to be able to take more control over infected programs and files than AVG can.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anklebiter
Not to derail the thread or anything, but try Avast Antivirus
Reg it once, they send reg code though E-mail, free and frequent VDB updates.

I like it alot, I had AVG and decided to switch.
It seems to be able to take more control over infected programs and files than AVG can.
Ooh, I use AVG...I'll have to check that out. In the 'Viruses Everywhere' thread there was a statistic that AVG missed over 1,000 viruses on a test of all the antivirus programs whilie NOD32 was the only one that got a clean sweep.

·
^^That's my user name^^
9,917 Posts
1-Locate the file.
2-write down it's location
3-restart coputer in safe mode command prompt only
4-when command prompt displays: C:\\>, type "(location of file here)"
then type "del (filename)"
example: file location is C:\\Documents and Settings\\All Users\\Documents

C:\\>cd\\documents and settings\\all users\\documents\\
C:\\documents and settings\\all users\\documents>del deleteme.doc

must type .exe, .doc, .zip, etc.