Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2575v3 @ 1.8Ghz
GPU: Asus Matrix GTX 980 TI 6GB
RAM: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinums
Motherboard: Asus X99-M WS/SE

Issues experiencing since installing the gpu:
Lags during gameplay especially in menus where there is transition from a black screen (low fps screen) to another screen full of graphics to render.
There is always lags during these transitioning and it kills online gaming! The experience sometimes feels like playing an opponent with extremely high ping, except my internet is fine, fibre and hardwired into this workstation/gaming machine.

Unigine benchmark below shows what appear to be a CPU bottleneck? or does this look normal? FPS looks rather low me thinks..
Plant Ecoregion Natural landscape Grass Font

GPU setting overclocked:
Gaming mode enabled in Asus GPU Tweak II

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any reason to have chosen a Xeon processor? Are you doing specific server-like workloads and/or heavily parallelized workloads?
Got the CPU many years ago for hosting VMs plus gaming - Workstation. I plan to keep it for this reason but not at the expense I can no longer use it for the purpose of a workstation, and now paired with the 980 Ti Matrix (the only gpu I want atm).

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
At 1080p? Yeah, the cpu is going to bottleneck any decent gpu I'd say. I'm guessing the single threaded performance of the Xeon is pretty poor. Run cpuz or something and see what the single thread performance is.

• Rep+
Reactions: QNIQ

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Another benchmark except I maxed out the resolution (3840x1600):
GPU usage stayed between 99% and 100% usage.
CPU however peaked at 17% usage, average around 7%-9% usage
Sky Plant Azure Landscape Wall

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Unigine Heaven: High preset, 3840x1600
GPU usage during this test dipping to 0% then jumps to 100%, or 10% then jumps to 100% which causes lags- a summary of what my experience has been, more clearer during this benchmark below. CPU usage tends to stay consistent and doesn't fluctuate often as the GPU, in the test below especially.
Plant Sky Nature Landscape Wall

·
31 Cans of Ravioli
24,494 Posts
look at the hardware requirements for Heaven. how do they compare to the games you're having issues in?

your CPU has abysmal single core performance. what do you think the problem is?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
This has to be an NVIDIA driver issue then (although I have re-installed it)? I say this because I have had this same cpu paired with an AMD RX Vega 64 for the past 4 years or so and never had this issue. and the Vega 64 is faster in performance than the 980 ti. Nvidia drivers actually worse than AMD in my scenario or is this GPU just dying away?

I have re-installed windows, reinstalled GPU drivers with DDU, everything is up to date, I have thought of even flashing the firmware on the card but have not done this just yet.

Surely if there is a CPU bottleneck I would expect the faster card to have caused the bottleneck and not the slower card- in theory? I won't rule out the possibility of there been a cpu bottleneck here but I just want this whole thing to make sense before spending money on an i7.

·
professional curmudgeon
10,585 Posts
i know you're trying but the info you're giving isn't that helpful.

try heaven at 1080p at the "default" settings (as on benchmark threads here) a 980ti should get around 2000-2200 for a score. also gpu usage will fluctuate from 0%-10& back up to 99% while transitioning scenes in the benchmark. this is the way. maybe run some time spy and firestrike to compare "behavior"

and what game(S) is it?????
there are some that are notoriously better or worse w/one brand than the other.

if there are no problem with lack of voltage or limiting power limit(s) then you have NO reason to start flashing firmware.

• Rep+
Reactions: dagget3450

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
THINGS ARE GETTING BETTER
Though still perceiving lags time to time..

New benchmarks now showing improved results. I figured something in the BIOS must have been holding it back so I factory reset it and behold... everything is showing improvements and better results.
PS: I was too caught up in my head to take a picture what was reset in the BIOS, how I wish I had that picture!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts