Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2575v3 @ 1.8Ghz
GPU: Asus Matrix GTX 980 TI 6GB
RAM: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinums
Motherboard: Asus X99-M WS/SE

Issues experiencing since installing the gpu:
Lags during gameplay especially in menus where there is transition from a black screen (low fps screen) to another screen full of graphics to render.
There is always lags during these transitioning and it kills online gaming! The experience sometimes feels like playing an opponent with extremely high ping, except my internet is fine, fibre and hardwired into this workstation/gaming machine.

Unigine benchmark below shows what appear to be a CPU bottleneck? or does this look normal? FPS looks rather low me thinks..
Plant Ecoregion Natural landscape Grass Font

GPU setting overclocked:
Gaming mode enabled in Asus GPU Tweak II

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any reason to have chosen a Xeon processor? Are you doing specific server-like workloads and/or heavily parallelized workloads?
Got the CPU many years ago for hosting VMs plus gaming - Workstation. I plan to keep it for this reason but not at the expense I can no longer use it for the purpose of a workstation, and now paired with the 980 Ti Matrix (the only gpu I want atm).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Another benchmark except I maxed out the resolution (3840x1600):
GPU usage stayed between 99% and 100% usage.
CPU however peaked at 17% usage, average around 7%-9% usage
Sky Plant Azure Landscape Wall

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Unigine Heaven: High preset, 3840x1600
GPU usage during this test dipping to 0% then jumps to 100%, or 10% then jumps to 100% which causes lags- a summary of what my experience has been, more clearer during this benchmark below. CPU usage tends to stay consistent and doesn't fluctuate often as the GPU, in the test below especially.
Plant Sky Nature Landscape Wall

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
This has to be an NVIDIA driver issue then (although I have re-installed it)? I say this because I have had this same cpu paired with an AMD RX Vega 64 for the past 4 years or so and never had this issue. and the Vega 64 is faster in performance than the 980 ti. Nvidia drivers actually worse than AMD in my scenario or is this GPU just dying away?

I have re-installed windows, reinstalled GPU drivers with DDU, everything is up to date, I have thought of even flashing the firmware on the card but have not done this just yet.

Surely if there is a CPU bottleneck I would expect the faster card to have caused the bottleneck and not the slower card- in theory? I won't rule out the possibility of there been a cpu bottleneck here but I just want this whole thing to make sense before spending money on an i7.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
THINGS ARE GETTING BETTER
Though still perceiving lags time to time..

New benchmarks now showing improved results. I figured something in the BIOS must have been holding it back so I factory reset it and behold... everything is showing improvements and better results.
PS: I was too caught up in my head to take a picture what was reset in the BIOS, how I wish I had that picture!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
The lags are practically gone now but am genuinely lost for words how affordable CPUs has been in the background, looking back couple years.. still tons of capable CPUs on the market today with insane value..!!

Looking at how low cost CPUs are (AMD’s fault with Ryzen?) I have just picked up that E5-1650, literally for peanuts!! Was tied between.. I could have picked up the 5930k but the E5 suites my style better, i.e someone working with enterprise grade hardware who’s biased in favour of enterprise grade CPU features that they will never need on a personal level, at least not anymore.

Now that I don’t need a 32 thread processor I can just settle on a 6 core 12 threads with much better clock speeds to accelerate the Matrix. PS: I have lost interest in modern AAA titles those days are gone away from me. My Steam library these days is mainly simulations games for the most part, RaceRoom, Assetto Corsa, Project Cars, EA FIFA which I play competitively, to name a few and Age of Empires which I intend to upgrade when the new price is convincing enough.

Anyways, this Xeon E5 2675v3 ES which I picked up for about £465 at the time, thought I had a fantastic deal as this amount of cores were not common let alone for that price with ddr4 future proofing.

Few years ago I used to sit on this Forum maybe full time helping out the community, the PC community was and still is quite amazing!!
Though it’s only been few years since the return of AMD, they seem to have hit harder than I thought, everything they touch is just turning their way now, and with single core performance unlike what I saw back then, kudos to Lisa and the AMD Team out there! Bravo indeed.

Give credit where deserved, that AMD Vega 64 must have had robust graphics drivers paired with this chip because I had zero issues with it for years end on. It was able to give me that smooth and stable gameplay without sacrificing visual fidelity, on this xeon!

The reason am sticking with the Matrix are few reasons, firstly I think this design is plain iconic, it was back then and it still is today! For the simulation games I play (21:9) it's more than sufficient, I wonder why Asus are not pushing the Matrix as much as the Strix anymore, anyone know why?!?! I still have Matrix 780Ti sitting here.

It’s about time to sell the 16core 32 threads xeon to anyone who needs it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts