Overclock.net banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Laptop Enthusiast
9,751 Posts
Looking better, but any modern day CPU today would completely annihilate what you possess, and can be had for pennies comparatively.

1,253 Posts
It is hard to even describe how low your single threaded performance is, this is like outside of scale low. You will have problems even in games that are not generally considered CPU heavy, no matter the GPU. Even fully tuned and overclocked X99 that I have is getting really old at this point (things like Alder Lake or 5800X3D are 40%+ faster in games) and you have less than half of that. Like this isn't even a third of modern CPU, and it was like 1/7th before that BIOS reset you did. No wonder you have problems even in GPU benchmarks.

Either ditch the thing entirely and get new platform or at least get some cheap second hand unlocked 6-core for X99 like 5930K or 6850K, if you overclock it you will get more than double the performance and get within some reasonable margins compared to modern CPUs at very little cost.

·
Software 'Engineer'
920 Posts
You could pick up an E5 1650 v3 for pennies... Or a 1680 v3 if you want to spend more, lots of users here still running them...
They are multiplier unlocked, and still decent, although you'll lose out on highly parallelised workloads...

• Rep+
Reactions: QNIQ and dagget3450

·
Expert pin bender
2,814 Posts
Everyone here has given great input in regards to your performance issues. I have a xeon 2683v3 that i got many years back to play with at the time. It i think reached 3.6ghz on some cores, but it was a bottle neck in games that rely on single thread. I think my cpuz single score was around 300ish points. It was a dog when gaming single threaded games, in many ways it was comparable to my FX cpu i also played with around that time in single core.

While you can game on that cpu, don't expect miracles though. It may get you close to 60 fps or so, and maybe thats okay with you. Unigine valley is cpu/mem dependent and shows with your 70 fps score. If it works for what you want more power to you, but if you want decent performance for gaming follow what folks have suggested. I dont see you getting much 4k gaming done on a 980ti though, otherwise i would say 4k it wouldn't matter as much.

·
Laptop Enthusiast
9,751 Posts
Azure Blue Font Screenshot Rectangle

Here's a modern day processor with half the thread count for comparison. Like... This is fairly mediocre as far as 5800X scores go, too. Upgrade your CPU/Board. Half the threads and 25% higher total score. :p

• Rep+
Reactions: The_King

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
The lags are practically gone now but am genuinely lost for words how affordable CPUs has been in the background, looking back couple years.. still tons of capable CPUs on the market today with insane value..!!

Looking at how low cost CPUs are (AMD’s fault with Ryzen?) I have just picked up that E5-1650, literally for peanuts!! Was tied between.. I could have picked up the 5930k but the E5 suites my style better, i.e someone working with enterprise grade hardware who’s biased in favour of enterprise grade CPU features that they will never need on a personal level, at least not anymore.

Now that I don’t need a 32 thread processor I can just settle on a 6 core 12 threads with much better clock speeds to accelerate the Matrix. PS: I have lost interest in modern AAA titles those days are gone away from me. My Steam library these days is mainly simulations games for the most part, RaceRoom, Assetto Corsa, Project Cars, EA FIFA which I play competitively, to name a few and Age of Empires which I intend to upgrade when the new price is convincing enough.

Anyways, this Xeon E5 2675v3 ES which I picked up for about £465 at the time, thought I had a fantastic deal as this amount of cores were not common let alone for that price with ddr4 future proofing.

Few years ago I used to sit on this Forum maybe full time helping out the community, the PC community was and still is quite amazing!!
Though it’s only been few years since the return of AMD, they seem to have hit harder than I thought, everything they touch is just turning their way now, and with single core performance unlike what I saw back then, kudos to Lisa and the AMD Team out there! Bravo indeed.

Give credit where deserved, that AMD Vega 64 must have had robust graphics drivers paired with this chip because I had zero issues with it for years end on. It was able to give me that smooth and stable gameplay without sacrificing visual fidelity, on this xeon!

The reason am sticking with the Matrix are few reasons, firstly I think this design is plain iconic, it was back then and it still is today! For the simulation games I play (21:9) it's more than sufficient, I wonder why Asus are not pushing the Matrix as much as the Strix anymore, anyone know why?!?! I still have Matrix 780Ti sitting here.

It’s about time to sell the 16core 32 threads xeon to anyone who needs it.

·
Expert pin bender
2,814 Posts
To be fair 5960x doesn't have to be max of. Even 4-4.4 is fairly reasonable oc. 4.7 is on the high end of OC and probably a lot of heat and power.

The CPU op has is usable but limited. I think the GPU would be a good match with a haswell but anything to modern/new it's going to be a bottleneck unless the whole thing is on an upgrade path.

Edit: Cross posted, I see above op got a newer CPU.

·
Laptop Enthusiast
9,751 Posts
A 5960X is around $80 on the used market.

View attachment 2564453
Yes, but the platform is just as expensive as a modern day offering and has inferior features to work with. Literally zero reason to go for it. If you're gonna go HEDT, just go 5950X, they're sub $550 right now on Amazon. xD

·
Expert pin bender
2,814 Posts
Yes, this much like when I had my 5960x vs my E5-2683v3. I did game on the xeon some for fun, but it was lacking in titles like ESO and other MMORPGs. Of course they are single thread mostly, but it was playable.

Really its just about what you can tolerate mostly.

Good to see the 980ti giving some decent performance at 1080p

Unigine Valley does well with ram tweaking and oc cpu speeds.

Heaven is more GPU based, of course a good balance is needed.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts