Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now they got banned for advertising to sell gold. Anyway I want to find out how this happened. They where both over here playing wow at night and the next day they got hacked. How could this happen? I ran spybot on my brothers computer and it found nothing at all. All my brother did was use WowMatrix and Curse but his gf has been using that for a while now. I don't know what else to say.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Well.. If they both got hacked and the both were playing WoW on that one computer then I say you have a secret key log or something. IDK honestly though, I just make sure I have daily scans and hope none of my accounts get hacked.

·
Premium Member
4,891 Posts
No idea what WoWmatrix is, but curse is fine...
unless they installed a addon that was bugged.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Ahh the keylogger it self is FUD from any Anti virus or spybot. So you have to format or just try to dig out were you think it is

·
Banned
1,075 Posts
Most accounts are not hacked through keyloggers.

They're usually hacked because of phishing - a site that LOOKS legit, stuff like a "NEW EXPANSION BETA SIGNUP site", and even cloaks itself to have a correct looking URL, or it could be something more discrete. Alternatively, it could just be from signing up on forums or something with the same email and password. VBB/PHPBB have had bugs that allow people to extract passwords (sometimes unhashed!) from the member list. Usually not an issue as it's patched VERY quickly, but... not every forum patches often. (Don't worry, from what I've seen OCN is safe as can be!)

Log in to their email with that password, retrieve WoW account name, and presto - 9/10 times it's the same password. Most people use the same password EVERYWHERE. Bah.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by myresolution_72 View Post
Well.. If they both got hacked and the both were playing WoW on that one computer then I say you have a secret key log or something. IDK honestly though, I just make sure I have daily scans and hope none of my accounts get hacked.
No, here is where it gets interesting there where each on there own computer. There where two different computers.

·
Banned
1,075 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dragonfellow17 View Post
No, here is where it gets interesting there where each on there own computer. There where two different computers.
My girlfriend and I log onto each others' accounts all the time (email, games, forums, etc) so it's likely that if one person was compromised, both were.

However, if they NEVER use each others' accounts, or know each others' passwords, then it's more likely they both got phished or were at the same forums (a guild forum maybe).

·
Registered
244 Posts
Mine apparently got hacked aswell, I got temp banned for like 3 hours for spamming and I haven't even played since like Friday. I just reset the password =\\ kinda annoying.

·
Premium Member
8,764 Posts
My best guess is that they downloaded a keylogger or fell for a phishing scam before they even visited your house. It was probably just a coincidence that the accounts got hacked after visiting your house.

·
Premium Member
16,094 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tNok85 View Post
Alternatively, it could just be from signing up on forums or something with the same email and password. VBB/PHPBB have had bugs that allow people to extract passwords (sometimes unhashed!) from the member list. Usually not an issue as it's patched VERY quickly, but... not every forum patches often. (Don't worry, from what I've seen OCN is safe as can be!)
*changes OCN password*

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Auld
View Post

My best guess is that they downloaded a keylogger or fell for a phishing scam before they even visited your house. It was probably just a coincidence that the accounts got hacked after visiting your house.

I guess I screwed up more
my brother lives here so really only his girlfriend came over.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I had one of my accounts hacked about a year ago, it was an old one that was frozen and inactive. Still no idea how it happened, the account I was playing on at the time never got touched, my best guess is they bruteforced my email and reset the password from there.

It did have the upside of making me paranoid about those things, though. So, tell them to reset all their passwords to strong unique ones on a secure PC.

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Use malwarebytes in addition to your security apps.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Sounds like a case of phising or keylogging. Sure sucks, I've played WoW before and losing your account doesn't sound like fun. Not much to do but make sure you have the best security you can get. I'd do a reformatt just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
241 Posts
blizzard sent me once a message accusing me of selling my account to someone else . and were going to close my account if i didnt reply with a BUNCH of info like my phonenumber and stuff. and this was no fake email.... and i had no clue why they thought that i had sold my account : S

·
Registered
77 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by vesley View Post
blizzard sent me once a message accusing me of selling my account to someone else . and were going to close my account if i didnt reply with a BUNCH of info like my phonenumber and stuff. and this was no fake email.... and i had no clue why they thought that i had sold my account : S
It's fake. Don't send anything.

·
Banned
1,075 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by vesley View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niqu View Post
It's fake. Don't send anything.
Most likely, yes. I'd ask to speak with them on the phone, and YOU call THEM after verifying their number (to prevent somebody calling you with a spoofed number).

A clever way to get full control of a WoW account is to send a spoofed email from a real Blizzard email address after the thief has access to your email account. You respond (with ALL your details!) and the thief checks your sent mailbox later on to get all the info, often including a picture of your ID if they asked you to send that...

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Dude just think of a couple things Ok I can read your brain and your thinking of Food, Pron and Overclocking 5438 Times an hour
So For a PSW call it f00d5438Pr0ncl0ckin. Now I create password thinking like that and Have not had any hacked or found out and I think it is very secure.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts