Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so my 7900GS with factory OC from BFG (a company I will never buy from again) just fried about 3 days ago. I loaded COD4 and the map changed then I saw lines and dots on my screen. sorta looks sombody took a marker and just put streight lines and dots all over. its not blocking out the whole image but it makes things hard to see. does it in bootup and windows. and it does it with both my monitors and my little brothers monitor. so its definately the card. I also swapped it to the other PCIE slot and it does the same thing.

There are no signs of burning anywhere on the card nor a burning smell. the card only seems to load windows when its in lower than 1920 by 1200. it loads 800 by 600 fine well aside from the odd looking lines and dots.

anyways my PSU is a thermaltake 400W with a rateing of 10A and 15A on the 2 12V rails is that sufficient for a 4850 and if not what will that be sufficient for?(PSU is the thermaltake matrix )

also now should I be replaceing the PSU as well as the card? IMO PSU killed the GPU. but could the motherboard do it?

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
maybe the vram is busted.
if you want to get a 4850 you would need a psu upgrade,25A is too less(and counting the fact that it will be less than 25A combined).

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
dang double post.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Do you have an old crap card you can put in there? This would rule out the motherboard, unless your power supply died and that could certainly be the case.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Feathered
View Post

ok so my 7900GS with factory OC from BFG (a company I will never buy from again) just fried about 3 days ago. I loaded COD4 and the map changed then I saw lines and dots on my screen. sorta looks sombody took a marker and just put streight lines and dots all over. its not blocking out the whole image but it makes things hard to see. does it in bootup and windows. and it does it with both my monitors and my little brothers monitor. so its definately the card. I also swapped it to the other PCIE slot and it does the same thing.

There are no signs of burning anywhere on the card nor a burning smell. the card only seems to load windows when its in lower than 1920 by 1200. it loads 800 by 600 fine well aside from the odd looking lines and dots.

anyways my PSU is a thermaltake 400W with a rateing of 10A and 15A on the 2 12V rails is that sufficient for a 4850 and if not what will that be sufficient for?(PSU is the thermaltake matrix )

also now should I be replaceing the PSU as well as the card? IMO PSU killed the GPU. but could the motherboard do it?

BFG have a great warranty... just RMA the card

·
4GHz
1,767 Posts
Yup, replace the PSU with something a bit stronger. When PSUs go down, they like to take parts out with it; something I learned the hard way.

·
Banned
10,584 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by gamervivek
View Post

maybe the vram is busted.
if you want to get a 4850 you would need a psu upgrade,25A is too less(and counting the fact that it will be less than 25A combined).

Umm...wrong. Totally wrong. His 420W PSU can handle a single 4850. If you'll notice, the rest of his system doesn't draw all that much power, it's not like he has his proc running on the ragged edge or anything. Am I saying he wouldn't be well off with a higher wattage PSU? Hell no, 400 watts isn't much, I know first hand...but he doesn't need to upgrade just to run a 4850.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Quote:

View Post

ok so my 7900GS with factory OC from BFG (a company I will never buy from again) just fried about 3 days ago.

Whoa...

Hold on bro. Quoting Treebeard , " Don't be hasty..."

BFG is a very respectable company and your card is old. It could be that it is showing it's age. Contact BFG and RMA the card. You'll probably end up with an 8800GT or GTS out of this...

·
Banned
10,584 Posts
O, and OP...I second all the Old Hardware Failing posts. I had to turn my CPU OC completely off just so my CPU wouldn't electromigrate and phail epically...And you say your card was factory OC'd...You got your money's worth out of it, RMA it, who knows you may luck out and get an 8800 of some sort back!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
they r a good company but. they will not replace anything if the PSU or motherboard has burnt it out. so unless the vram just decided to go zap on its own if its the PSU's fault they wont send me a new card. and I dont think its the mobo becaulse the ports still work fine its just showing that same sort of thing. il try to get a picture of the dots later if I can.

also my PSU is 400W and its got 15A on one rail and 10A on the other. although I could be reading it wrong...

say it was the PSU that did it. I should get a new PSU then as well so it doesnt happen again right? I mean 500's are what 50 bucks now that isnt too far outa the way.

edit: corrected PSU in sig

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
im posting on a horrid dell that can barealy handle CS1.6 (my moms and brothers) wich i get to fix alot >.< and ive posted a few times with my phone as well.

they will RMA it and im hopeing to find out what messed it up.

also would they be upgradeing it if they cant fix it or do they still make those cards?

"This warranty is only valid if the product:

* Was not damaged while being installed.

* Was not damaged by software or hardware from a company or individual other than BFG Technologies or by motherboard incompatibility.

* Was operated in accordance with BFG Technologies specifications, instructions and any technical support directions.

* Was not modified or damaged by overclocking, tampering, user error, accident, disaster, abuse, misuse, power supply, power application, alteration, repair, modification, a fix or replacement by someone other than BFG Technologies. "
^sorry I don't know how to do the cool quote box thing.

http://www.bfgtech.com/warranty.aspx its the second one down all before 2/21/08

so if it was PSU they do not have to repair it or send me a new one. however their new one has damage done by mobo included on it.

·
Premium Member
7,187 Posts
Quote:

View Post

[ Quote=whoyourquoting]
[ /Quote]

without the spaces.

·
Junglist
7,233 Posts
Quote:

View Post

im posting on a horrid dell that can barealy handle CS1.6 (my moms and brothers) wich i get to fix alot >.< and ive posted a few times with my phone as well.

they will RMA it and im hopeing to find out what messed it up.

also would they be upgradeing it if they cant fix it or do they still make those cards?

"This warranty is only valid if the product:

* Was not damaged while being installed.

* Was not damaged by software or hardware from a company or individual other than BFG Technologies or by motherboard incompatibility.

* Was operated in accordance with BFG Technologies specifications, instructions and any technical support directions.

* Was not modified or damaged by overclocking, tampering, user error, accident, disaster, abuse, misuse, power supply, power application, alteration, repair, modification, a fix or replacement by someone other than BFG Technologies. "

http://www.bfgtech.com/warranty.aspx its the second one down all before 2/21/08

so if it was PSU they do not have to repair it or send me a new one. however their new one has damage done by mobo included on it.

Well just say it stopped working, don't mention the PSU might be the culprit

·
Premium Member
5,988 Posts
I'm almost certain they won't examine the card fully before they send out a replacement. It's not really easy to examine a damaged video card when there's no obvious signs that it's burnt out. I'm thinking it's just the video memory getting corrupt. In that case, it should be covered by warranty and you'll probably end up with at least a 8 series.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I never thought of not telling them I though the PSU burnt it... I left that out when I put in the RMA a bit ago =D how long do RMA's with them usualy take?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts