Overclock.net banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i decided to make a case design in "LightWave"

Here it is, not finished yet.

Tell me what you guys think, like what would you change, what do/dont you like etc..

Thanks

·
I like computers
7,546 Posts
Pretty cool.

·
Premium Member
19,923 Posts
Hi.

I really like front-side as it looks great for air-circulation.

Are you going to have side-fans, or fans on the top?

It also looks like you have side-mounted external drive bays.

Is there a functional purpose to the wider-bottom?

Do you like the angularity of the facets and transitions between planes? If not, would it be possible to soften them?

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
Nice.

Are the optical drives mounted on the side? That's actually pretty functional.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Slinkey123
View Post

ok so i decided to make a case design in "LightWave"

Here it is, not finished yet.

Tell me what you guys think, like what would you change, what do/dont you like etc..

Thanks

Nice Sci-Fi/Industrial look.

Might want to have the backside flat (or removable), so you can get into the case horizontally (like adding a new motherboard).

Also nice to see someone use a different 3D program, too.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Syrillian
View Post

Hi.

I really like front-side as it looks great for air-circulation.

Are you going to have side-fans, or fans on the top?

It also looks like you have side-mounted external drive bays.

Is there a functional purpose to the wider-bottom?

Do you like the angularity of the facets and transitions between planes? If not, would it be possible to soften them?

Well the inside will be laid out like the Silverston Raven, so i may add 2 top fans exhausting GPU and case heat. Also i may add side fans, it all depends if i can keep the design the same

And nope there is no functional purpose for the wide bottem, its just for looks.

And yeah i can soften up the edges
i will give it ago.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
You forgot to add the warp core and engine nacelles, but serioulsy that case is gonna look awesome if its built the way you drew it. I think that having the dvd drives on the side will look cool but it will more practical to put the hdds there (on the sides) and the dvd drives behind the door panel.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shift.
View Post

Nice.

Are the optical drives mounted on the side? That's actually pretty functional.

Yep they sure are

Quote:

View Post

Sweet!

And, what materials/mediums will you be using?

Well i would probably use alluminum. But sadly i dont think i will ever be making this case
i dont have the tools or the skills to do it lol. Still fun to design though

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Well i would probably use alluminum. But sadly i dont think i will ever be making this case

You can do that design with a standard case, and use resin (even hard foam) for the exterior.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
That case is bad ass I think, take your time save some money and try making it, even if you have to build around some junker case.

Also you should have bottom fans instead of side fans since you plan to make it like the raven.

·
I like computers
7,546 Posts
After admiring your design for awhile, there is only one change I could make. Angle the top edges like the bottom. Not sure of you get what I mean.

·
Banned
10,584 Posts
I like it...it means business, like "ZOMG OM NOM NOM HERE'S FRAMEZ".
Have you made any renders of the internals? If not, make sure the HDD bays don't interfere with airflow and GPU's...

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Make the HDD trays removable like the Cosmos

·
Premium Member
19,923 Posts
Quote:

View Post

I would think that it is mainly the lack of tools. Properly equipped, any desire that is in the realm of reality is possible.

Still, you clearly have a talent. Perhaps you could keep fine-tuning and creating, and offer them up as ideas for those that do have the pre-requisites to take on such an endeavor.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron_Henderson
View Post

After admiring your design for awhile, there is only one change I could make. Angle the top edges like the bottom. Not sure of you get what I mean.

I do. I will probably do that, at the moment it looks very square

thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by TestECull
View Post

I like it...it means business, like "ZOMG OM NOM NOM HERE'S FRAMEZ".
Have you made any renders of the internals? If not, make sure the HDD bays don't interfere with airflow and GPU's...

Nope haven't designed the inside yet. and thanks for the suggestion

Quote:

View Post

I would think that it is mainly the lack of tools. Properly equipped, any desire that is in the realm of reality is possible.

Still, you clearly have a talent. Perhaps you could keep fine-tuning and creating, and offer them up as ideas for those that do have the pre-requisites to take on such an endeavor.

Well i dont mind anyone using this design, would be awesome to see someone do it. As long as they dont make any money out of it

1 - 18 of 18 Posts