Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cousin gave me this case. It looks still a solid case. The water-cooling unit was removed because of leaking. I put the E4300 and Gigabyte 965 on and it is very hot. I want to improve its airflow but don’t how. Here are some pictures.

1.Overview

2.Top.

3.Back. No screw hole. What type of fan I need to get and where I can get it?

4.Front. It seems I can put fans but no screw hole.

5.Side panel. Use rotary tool to cut hole but it is in solid steel. How?

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
On the back fans, the clips will hold them. Have to get the right size for the clips... (probably 90mm... unsure of thickness...)

still waiting for last 3 pix to load

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
Front's probably designed for those clips too. ZIP tie a fan there if you want.
As for cutting thru the side panel. Best to use a Hole Saw & cover the area with masking tape to keep from damaging the paint...

·
Premium Member
14,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by NullWolf
View Post

Front's probably designed for those clips too. ZIP tie a fan there if you want.
As for cutting thru the side panel. Best to use a Hole Saw & cover the area with masking tape to keep from damaging the paint...

Thanks for the infor. Here are my some idea.

1. Let the black and front as vent. Cut hold to install 2X 120mm fans but I don't know in or out
2. Install fans on back and front. Cut few rows of small holes for vent.

Which one is better?

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by linskingdom
View Post

Thanks for the infor. Here are my some idea.

1. Let the black and front as vent. Cut hold to install 2X 120mm fans but I don't know in or out
2. Install fans on back and front. Cut few rows of small holes for vent.

Which one is better?

Personally, I'd probably do #2.

Should probably get some more ideas from some of the folks around here.

Change the title of the thread to "Need help modding case for Max Airflow." gives a better description of what you need... some others may have a bit more to say here...

I'd put a vent right over the CPU on the side panel, probably 1 fan in back, 1 in front. Thats really about all I'd do personally...

·
Premium Member
14,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by NullWolf View Post
Personally, I'd probably do #2.

Should probably get some more ideas from some of the folks around here.

Change the title of the thread to "Need help modding case for Max Airflow." gives a better description of what you need... some others may have a bit more to say here...

I'd put a vent right over the CPU on the side panel, probably 1 fan in back, 1 in front. Thats really about all I'd do personally...
Thanks for the info

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
just remember you want as much air going in as going out. One in the back and one in the front would work well thats prob all id do and some vent holes if you want.

·
Premium Member
2,413 Posts
Ideal case airflow is 1 fan (bigger the better) bottom front, and another top back. That creates the least turbulence and dead spots.

·
Premium Member
3,636 Posts
This is exactly where some type of high volume smoking device would come in handy. A person could actually see the airflow in their case.
When in doubt I believe a positive pressure inside the case is better than starving the exhaust fans.
From what I can see of it, use your existing fans and add a couple 120s in the case side pointing at the mb.

·
Premium Member
19,923 Posts
Hi.

Here is a quick digram that shows typical airflow:

Blue = fans / potential fans
Green = air intake
Red = exhaust.

Some key factors:
  • Uni-directional airflow.
  • Maintain a "negative pressure" (exhaust cfm > intake cfm)
  • 120mm fans will yield more effective results insofar as cfm/dba

·
Premium Member
3,636 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Syrillian View Post
Hi.

Here is a quick digram that shows typical airflow:

Blue = fans / potential fans
Green = air intake
Red = exhaust.

Some key factors:
  • Uni-directional airflow.
  • Maintain a "negative pressure" (exhaust cfm > intake cfm)
  • 120mm fans will yield more effective results insofar as cfm/dba
I'm interested in the reasoning behind a negative pressure if you've got the time to educate me.
I was under the assumption that a positive would push any excess thru any intentional/unintentional vents in a normal case. Whereas a negative would pull thru those same vents.
On a side note, I checked your case builds and they are indescribable. Well done!!

·
Banned
816 Posts
I have an 80mm sucking in from the front. 120mm FM121 pulling out back. PSU pulls out too.

On a Centurion 5. I have one where the CPU duct was, but I installed the duct on top of the fan. It pulls in for fresh air for CPU.

One in bottom default position on intake. FM121 on top back.

And one in the end of the 5.25" bay for mem/mobo cooling.

It could also help blowing air down behind the mobo. The back of the socket gets HOT. I did it with a cheap fan and dropped my temps by 5C.

·
Premium Member
19,923 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Litlratt View Post
I'm interested in the reasoning behind a negative pressure if you've got the time to educate me.
I was under the assumption that a positive would push any excess thru any intentional/unintentional vents in a normal case. Whereas a negative would pull thru those same vents.
On a side note, I checked your case builds and they are indescribable. Well done!!
Negative air-pressure will cut down on turbulence (pressure re-circulating until it is expelled) and help keep the amount of dust that settles inside the case to a minimum.

...and thanks for the case compliments.

·
Premium Member
10,928 Posts
personally I'd take a look @ that water cooler, they're pretty solid, if you can fix the leak why not go water instead, you have a pump, housing, fans, rad, and res... Run some soapy water through it and track where bubbles form, it could be something as simple a a tube replacement...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.