Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Dream with your eyes open
Joined
·
3,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I updated my video drivers, it still happens. I'm using a 5970 on Windows 10. I have no idea WHAT is causing it because I have no way to troubleshoot when both my monitors fail until I reboot. Also my audio fails as well but that has nothing to do with my video card since audio is coming from the motherboard via Logitech software. Could it be a driver problem, hardware failure (unlikely?), or an operating system failure? I'm not sure, I lean towards OS failure because the audio cuts out as well and that comes from the motherboard but it could very well happen because the drivers overload the system?

No clue, how can I find out?
 

·
Overclock Failed...
Joined
·
13,565 Posts
Hmmm Your computer boots, monitors don't "boot" they just turn on an off,

Monitors are connected to the house mains and when supplied with power from there they just turn on. When the computer sends a video signal to them (if they are on), they display what the signal is sending - no signal, than no picture..

Are you monitors actually turning off (ie. power indicator light goes off) or is the screen just going blank with the monitor(s) still on?.

And when you computer "crashes" what to you do to get it back running?
 

·
Dream with your eyes open
Joined
·
3,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by billbartuska View Post

Hmmm Your computer boots, monitors don't "boot" they just turn on an off,

Monitors are connected to the house mains and when supplied with power from there they just turn on. When the computer sends a video signal to them (if they are on), they display what the signal is sending - no signal, than no picture..

Are you monitors actually turning off (ie. power indicator light goes off) or is the screen just going blank with the monitor(s) still on?.

And when you computer "crashes" what to you do to get it back running?
Simple reset. That gets me going again and the video is going back to my monitors. When the PC crashes, audio AND video goes out just like that. Why I mention the audio is because it isn't related to my video drivers (is it?)
 

·
the one whos many
Joined
·
1,292 Posts
The most obvious question: What does your event log in windows say?

If nothing, then its a power supply problem.
 

·
Overclock Failed...
Joined
·
13,565 Posts
Are you monitors actually turning off (ie. power indicator light goes off) or is the screen just going blank with the monitor(s) still on?.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by assaulth3ro911 View Post

I updated my video drivers, it still happens. I'm using a 5970 on Windows 10. I have no idea WHAT is causing it because I have no way to troubleshoot when both my monitors fail until I reboot. Also my audio fails as well but that has nothing to do with my video card since audio is coming from the motherboard via Logitech software. Could it be a driver problem, hardware failure (unlikely?), or an operating system failure? I'm not sure, I lean towards OS failure because the audio cuts out as well and that comes from the motherboard but it could very well happen because the drivers overload the system?

No clue, how can I find out?
Hey there. What is your case temperature and temperature around PSU? AFAIK your corsair PSU will auto turn off due to over temp if the temperature goes above 39°C at load of about > 600W. How much load there on your PSU? This might be a possibility.


Hope this helps
thumb.gif
 

·
Dream with your eyes open
Joined
·
3,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocutusH View Post

The most obvious question: What does your event log in windows say?

If nothing, then its a power supply problem.
Okay so I'm fairly certain it isn't my power supply. It happened again whilst in queue for LoL. My Skype call was still working, League's sound however went. I think it may be a driver or video card problem then? But now I don't know how to solve that either. I know my card is outdated and I will upgrade, but not right away? I mean, isn't my card pretty beast for last-gen games? I don't want to drop anything over $150 when the time comes anyway.

For now, I'd like to solve the problem and extend its life the best I can. The next upgrade I'm doing is my CPU and Mobo since that is my real bottleneck (not the GPU), so for now I need to fix this.
 

·
the one whos many
Joined
·
1,292 Posts
Why are you guessing? Why not just LOOK whats in the event log?
 

·
Dream with your eyes open
Joined
·
3,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocutusH View Post

Why are you guessing? Why not just LOOK whats in the event log?
So my computer crashed and I looked, can't find anything for that time. Is there something specific to keep an eye out for? I'm starting to think video card failure but I'm still unsure. I can test this by putting in a different card but first I have to find a card to actually test.
 

·
the one whos many
Joined
·
1,292 Posts
As i already said, if there is no error, then its the power supply thats wrong. (not necessarily the power supply unit itself)
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top