Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
this is my first thread on overclock and hoping somebody can help me as my computer reboots itself. This is particularly frustrating when I am working on projects (editing videos mainly)

My specs are as follows:

AsRock Z77 Extreme6 Motherboard (Socket 1155
Intel Core i7-3770K CPU
Corsair CMX16GX3M4A1333C9 XMS 16GB (4x4GB)
GPU - Asus Nvidia GeForce 2GB GTX 670
CPS - OCZ 850W ZX Series PSU 80+ Gold
1 Tb Barricuda Seagate HD for the OS
A stripped 3 Tb Barricuda Seagate HD

I have had this problem ongoing for over a year. I thought it was a bug in my system but am now doubting that because when I format the HD for the OS the problem only recently NOW appears almost immediately after it is reformatted. But it is possible that the bug gets into the other HDs and then gets into the OS HD but a the moment I don't want to format the stripped drives as have precious work on them.

I have recently turned off 'automatic restart' in 'system failure' and put 'sleep mode' to 'never' etc. but this seems to have caused another problem. i.e. the monitor goes black but the computer is still running.
I have tried different HDMI cables (problem still there)
There is a chance that it is the GPU. I have a cheap £25 GPU which I am going to switch to see if that makes a difference.

If anyone has any new suggestions I will be willing to try them out.

Thanks in advanced

Dominic

·
Registered
587 Posts
system restarting with no bsod points to thermal or psu failure.

-run HWMonitor while your system is up and keep an eye on your cpu socket, cpu core, gpu core temps.

-Also check your hard drive for errors just in case since youve had so many shut downs there might be some corruption in your drives.

-finally put as much a load on your psu as possible to see if your system shuts down run prime95 and furmark if it shuts down right away its a bad psu if it shuts down after a while its thermals.

If its thermals:

-reseat your cpu
-reseat your gpu
-re arrange your wires and fans to get the maximum airflow
-take your side panel off and put a fan blowing directly into your pc

ifs its hardware: cpu, gpu or psu

Nothing you can do but replace it...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for all your suggestions;
I will try anything and everything as I can't live like this.
I have actually open the case and put a fan at full belt blowing onto the computer BUT without running your suggested prime95 so gonna do that.
I hope it isn't a case of replacing hardware but if needs must will have to do it.
Will keep you guys posted on any results.
Thanks again!
Dominic

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi there,
Would like to let you know an update on the computer rebooting itself problem.
I wanted to see if it was a GPU problem so I switched my GTX 670 for a Geforce 210. When I did this I didn't the rebooting problem.

The screw hole on the GTX 670 doesn't match the fittings on the case, so when you screw the GPU to the case the GPU is not level. I managed to find a way of getting the GPU to sit level in the case. I thought this would resolve the problems as after 5 days I didn't see the rebooting problem but eventually it did rear its ugly head. To be certain I put the Geforce 210 back in and have had it in my PC for 2 weeks and no problems.

The diagnosis is that my GTX 670 is causing these issues (as these issue don't appear on the 210). Therefore, I will need to replace it and I am looking at the: Asus Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 DirectCU II OC 2GB GDDR5 Graphics Card

However, I haven't yet put the prime 95 and monitor it with HWMonitor. This is something I should do, just in case it isn't a GPU problem.

Thanks for all the advice and any further suggestions are appreciatively welcomed.

Dominic

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
ummm, Just to throw another idea out there, do you have access to another PSU? BEcause it could also be a PSU problem. the 210 is a far lower power card than the 670, and could work without showing an issue, while the more power hungry 670 flags up a problem. I'm not saying that is the case, it could well be the 670 is a problem, but i'm suggesting you should rule out power problems first.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The 210 is probably not pushing my machine hard enough. However, the rebooting problem can happen when you are just surfing the web which suggests it could be the 670. But you are right in so far as its best not to spend money only to find out the problem still has not been resolved.
I don't have a spare PSU unfortunately, so can't do that.
I am going to do this overclocking thing, but have never done it before and don't know really what I am doing but had better man up and do it.
Dominic

1 - 7 of 7 Posts