Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Short Story:

My H60 exploded, the system was off i was playing battlefield 4 on the ps3, the noise was so loud i noticed straight away, the force of the plastic cover popping off the pump was loud.

The case lucky had a window which was splattered with water which allowed me to see *** was going on. if not for the side window i think i would had carried on on PS3.
i was like ***.... i noticed straight away the plastic cover on the pump come off and water had
dispersed in every direction not just a leak, the floor had water leaking from the case

just my luck this case has the PSU on the bottom.... yeh bad luck, not mentioning the graphics card got a good splashing.

Although this system is OLD, i thought this water cooler to give it a new lease of life as a quiet casual gaming machine.

looks like the only thing that survived was the hard drives, and ram sticks,
is it safe to test /try the components ?

its an old machine but still shocked, im debating whether if im going corsair in my future builds

-

my question is the others who had leaking corsair's what did corsair do and was it good enough?

i don't know what to do, do i go directly to corsair or the retailer, i bought it at April 2012 so its well past one year

the manufacturer warranty a no go? will Corsair do anything?

i thought these water coolers would last more than one year

sb81l4.jpg

25ivp6v.jpg

30w1gdf.jpg

28u1eyw.jpg

21ls8cg.jpg

2z65vy9.jpg

33or77t.jpg

21ctw82.jpg

35ck404.jpg

1060xnr.jpg

50kz0g.jpg

·
I Am Gooble Gobble
6,693 Posts
dry everything off, pull the cooler off your gfx card, let it all sit and air dry for a minimum of 24 hours, then test the parts

·
Registered
212 Posts
That cpu cooler got 5 year warranty. So get in touch with corsair support and get it sorted out.

Wonder why im not suprised.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the first batch of quick replies,
i have been water cooling since 2006 before closed loops coolers were retail and thought i would give one of these easy setups ago,
i thought that the closed loop systems would be safer

i read it is a rare thing for these to explode....
but to have it happen to yourself is more rare....

i will try to rma via corsair , i dont know what will happen, im scared to plug everything in in case the water dried deposits short circuits everything?

thanks, i didnt know it had 5yr cover ! do you know where you read that from ? a url of link would help my case to corsair

thanks all

·
Registered
734 Posts
DO NOT PAD EVERYTHING DOWN. Let it be as it is, call Corsair today/tomorrow and tell em about it. Your basically wiping down evidence for your case, which you need if you want to get your computer replaced.

EDIT: You cannot simply wipe things down and let it dry, this aint' alcohol people. You're gonna have residue unless you flush the entire PCB with alcohol which is more work than just calling Corsair and have them sort it out.

·
Premium Member
11,125 Posts
Dry out your equipment in rice for a few days, test, then report results.

If anything is broken, tell Corsair, they will cover the cost. They have done in the past when systems/GPU's have been killed by leaks etc. I'd let them know this has happened, but don't go for an RMA yet until you know the full damage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyreSpirit View Post

DO NOT PAD EVERYTHING DOWN. Let it be as it is, call Corsair tomorrow and tell em about it. Your basically wiping down evidence for your case, which you need if you want to get your computer replaced.
This is a good point, but you need to know what works and what doesn't. Just document it well (pics/vids) before you dry out/clean it up.

·
Premium Member
6,853 Posts
Believe it or not when I first opened up the loop in a thermaltake water 2.0 it actually had pressure in the system, took a hose off and water spewed out. So maybe something similar happened. It could be that algae was growing even tho it should and I believe they give off gases, those gases create pressure. That would be my guess.
Anyway, dry off everything, use a hairdryer carefully if you want to help it, and leave it unplugged for a few days, put the case in a warm spot in the house, off the ground. Once it's fully dry you should be good to power her up. Just make sure you put a new cooler on the CPU. Lol.

Never seen this, bummer man, but you should have everything left if it blew up when it was off.
I've seen people scrub motherboards in soap and water in the sink and air dry it and they're good to go. Lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cooling Products

Hydro Series™ (Models H50v2, H55, H60v2, H60, H70 CORE, H80, H100, H80i, H100i, H90, and H110) have a 5 year warranty

just read it, thanks

i think its slim they will replace my computer, they aren't liable are they ?

·
Registered
511 Posts
wow thats super unlucky

I would dismantle the pc, pat dry and leave somewhere warm for at least 2 days (somewhere like an airing cupboard or something similar.

ohh and get that RMA sorted right away. see if you can give them a link to this thread so they can see the pics as well

·
Registered
212 Posts
Just try and dry up the water. Contact corsair asap. Then go from there.
Dont try to power on the system before you have talked to corsair and they let you know what to do.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinWaffle View Post

Dry out your equipment in rice for a few days, test, then report results.

If anything is broken, tell Corsair, they will cover the cost. They have done in the past when systems/GPU's have been killed by leaks etc. I'd let them know this has happened, but don't go for an RMA yet until you know the full damage!
This is a good point, but you need to know what works and what doesn't. Just document it well (pics/vids) before you dry out/clean it up.
I would personally just call Corsair before cleaning anything up. I know Corsair is a wonderful company (most of my stuff is Corsair), but I would treat everything as dead. Cleaning up the residue is gonna take a lot of time, unless you get the OK from Corsair to clean whatever. I'm sure the HDD(s) are okay and maybe they'll let you keep your data for inspection.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I agree, I'd have left the "crime scene" as it is and contact Corsair.

I always thought the closed loop cooler use some non electric conductive liquid inside, but it seems that's just water:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
If Corsair doesn't do anything about the mishap, then I'd let every component dry for a few days to be safe. I've had more massive leaks (like a third of a liter on a 7970, and a Crosshair V Formula-Z), let it dry for two days, and they started right up.

-Zepp

·
H₂O Aficionado
4,823 Posts
After you contact Corsair and what not, you could try putting some components into a bowl of rice. I know it sounds weird but rice will suck up any moisture inside components where you cannot open. It works for cell phones. Never tried it with PC parts but it should work too.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I agree with some of the above posts. Contact Corsair first. Find out what they say. Make sure not to turn anything on until the system is dry. Before I turned it on I would disassemble everything, clean gently and spray down with contact & circuit board cleaner.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Wow, it sure did make a mess!!

I had a H100 leak on my GTX670 a while back. At first Corsair were only willing to replace the H100 but after months of me complaining and lobbying on this forum they eventually agreed to give me some $$ for the dead GPU. My H100 was brand new though.

I'm sure they will replace your H60 but I doubt you'll get any compensation for the other damaged components. Never hurts to ask though. Good luck!

·
New to Overclock.net
2,505 Posts
I have seen dozens of posts "saying" that "Corsair will fix everything" .... reading their web site says they will review things on a "case by case basis". Document your situation, send the photos, and then clean up and see what you can salvage.

Water isn't necessarily a disaster unless you turn something on when wet . I have recovered phones when owner was thrown in pool with it in pocket (overnight in fridge followed by disassembly and air dry) and I have literally cleaned KBs (6 at a a time) by taking apart and running them thru dishwasher. The problem is water seems to have the ability to get into more nooks and crannies than it can get out of. Try not to turn anything over ... if water got in and is on the bottom of something let it stay there if at all possible....don't flip and and redistribute thru the component.

Once done, rethink ya options.... to my mind the risk of putting water inside ya PC has to be offset by positive benefits. Other than an easy install, and allaying any fears about shipping a computer with a heavy heat sink, I don't see the ALC units as doing anything positive for you. Water cooling is attractive for two main reasons.... 1) it's very much cooler and 2) very much quieter. With the ALC units however, their performance is matched by the better air coolers and they are several orders of magnitude louder than the the better air coolers. With full water cooling kits available for just a few dollars more... personally, I just have trouble seeing the attraction in these units.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaughtahouse View Post

After you contact Corsair and what not, you could try putting some components into a bowl of rice. I know it sounds weird but rice will suck up any moisture inside components where you cannot open. It works for cell phones. Never tried it with PC parts but it should work too.
Works great on pc parts. Ask me how I know
redface.gif

1 - 20 of 24 Posts