Overclock.net banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, this may not be the 100% correct forum or even website to help me with my current problem but this seems like my best shot. So I recently built a computer yesterday (first time building one, although I had one friend help me) and occasionally the PC randomly crashes. Typically the stop code I'm provided with is 'WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR" and upon investigating some reddit threads, it may have to do with bad CPU overclocking. This seems reasonable as while monitoring my CPU on the NZXT CAM my 3.6GHz Cpu is currently running at 4.7GHz https://gyazo.com/10ed382647af00318adcd7bc55022bd5

So what I'm asking if anybody can help me determine settings in my BIOS so my CPU can either overclock healthily, or stay at normal speeds to avoid crashing with that error.
Mothrboard: Asus - ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Full specs list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/kZNXKB

Thank you for reading and your eventual help.

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
Turn off the AI OC. For some stupid reason it's part of the optimized defaults for the bios. Mine was doing the same thing, it's Asus's bad AI that can't OC. Change the settings to auto instead of AI optimized.

·
Overclocker in training
14,304 Posts
Hi,
Whea... can also be bad power outlet.

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,762 Posts
Turn off the AI OC. For some stupid reason it's part of the optimized defaults for the bios. Mine was doing the same thing, it's Asus's bad AI that can't OC. Change the settings to auto instead of AI optimized.
this -

or, up your voltages if you have good enough cooling for those clocks.

side note -

the 5.0 auto profile ACTUALLY works on my 9700k prime board, it's amazing. It's the cheapest board I've ever purchased, & it works better than any flagship I've ever owned. I'm 100% sticking to the cheap board + addins option from now on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Seemingly the auto is to let the AI decide to OC. I changed it to be disabled aka to enforce the normal 3.6GHz but I seem to have 4.7GHz. Strange.

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,762 Posts
Seemingly the auto is to let the AI decide to OC. I changed it to be disabled aka to enforce the normal 3.6GHz but I seem to have 4.7GHz. Strange.
you're likely missing the correct auto to default. You wanna turn the profile to manual/off. Instead of AI/Auto. Just toggling the CPU speed itself will not revert the overarching AI profile set.

you may need to go into the advanced tab, not familiar with this specific board.

it used to be as simple as there being an "AI" Toggle line near the top of the main OC'ing page.

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
Put the AI Overlcock tuner at manual. It's CPU Core Ratio that needs to be set anything but AI optimized. That will enable the AI OC and for you set it 4.7GHz. For mine it likes to OC it to 4.8GHz.

·
Overclocker in training
14,304 Posts
I'll switch the outlet I'm plugged into and see if that helps at all. Doubt it but worth a chance
Hi,
If it's on the same home run it won't
You'll have to find the breaker and confirm what all is on the wall outlet your using first and what size breaker it is 20amp minimum with only this machine and not too many other items on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you to the three of you who are attempting to help me, I apologize for my lack of knowledge. I have managed to make my CPU stay at 3.6GHz but disabling Turbo Mode in the BIOS. I will most likely keep it this way for some time as I don't intend to OC much, if at all.

·
Overclocker in training
14,304 Posts
Hi,
Another item that can come in handy and save some work is a battery backup system

If the outlet or the computer exceeds the outlets output the backup battery will activate and you'll know for sure if power is limited.

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,762 Posts
highly unlikely that its your home, unless its 30-40+ years of age and you have 10 amp circuits.

It's the auto-learning asus AI. It hasn't studied enough to give him proper high end auto-OC thus its crashing.

Best bet, turn it off or manually inflate voltage if there's enough cooling. Not sure he mentioned a chip, just a board... Either way, 9700k seems likely? if so, 1.3 should be plenty of volts for 4.7, if there's enough cooling.

·
Overclocker in training
14,304 Posts
Hi,
Maybe some wiring issues in the Knight's castle sounds old ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
The CPU isn’t really “overclocking itself”; the system clock is simply running at a higher speed than the rated speed of the CPU. Every Intel and AMD desktop processor has a defined maximum speed at which it will run and with which it was designed to work.

·
Rig Advisor
4,316 Posts
The CPU isn’t really “overclocking itself”; the system clock is simply running at a higher speed than the rated speed of the CPU. Every Intel and AMD desktop processor has a defined maximum speed at which it will run and with which it was designed to work.
3 year old necro, nice! I am sure the OP has resolved this issue by now. What is with all these AI NPCs and resurrecting old threads?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts